Civil records changed in 1900?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Carolinalaska

Civil records changed in 1900?

Post by Carolinalaska »

Can anyone tell me what happened to civil records in Campobasso in 1900 such that the smaller commune records for births and marriages stop in 1899? For instance, for Duronia, the commune record ends, so it must be kept somewhere else. Where are the records from 1900 onwards? Would appreciate any ideas, thanks!
cedrone
Master
Master

Re: Civil records changed in 1900?

Post by cedrone »

I think you refer to the site Antenati.
The registers of the province of Campobasso are at the Archivio di Stato of Campobasso (for Duronia at Isernia), but as explained on the site, the publication is (for the moment) partial.
In general you find registers until 1910, only for a limited bomber if locations later, maximum about 1940 for privacy laws.
Registers were in two copies, the other copy remained to every Comune, where you may ask copies or certificates if you know all names and dates, or to do a research.
In general you find registers after 1866 on Family Search, and before on Antenati.
Carolinalaska

Post by Carolinalaska »

Thank you for this and for your reply to my earlier post, both are very helpful. I did see that there were dates later than 1899 on Family Search, but they disappeared ("page does not exist") when I tried to see them online. I will pay a visit to the local LDS research library here in Anchorage to see if I can get any further with that. If not I will follow your suggestion to apply directly to the Commune. You have saved me from following leads that don't work out, much appreciated!
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

I'll look again at Family Search, but I remember there was only written that can be seen at their Centers.
If so, they are the same as on Antenati, I do not think they can have more.
If registers after 1900 have been or will be filmed, they will be added to the others on Antenati.
I saw that a group of registers are on Antenati or on Family Search, only rarely on both.
So I think you can only ask the Comune.
What do you need, a photo of the register (as those of Family Search) for genealogical research or a certificate to ask Italian citizenship?
Carolinalaska

Post by Carolinalaska »

Thank you for the email addresses. I will get to work composing a request in Italian, using the sample letters pages (which are great!)

Today I visited the Family History Library here in my town. The person who assisted me finally agreed, after a very thorough search, that the marriage record I am looking for is not available in their database.

I am searching for a certificate for 3 documents, for Italian citizenship. The first 2 are birth records. They are online and I have located them, so I know exactly which records to ask for. The third is the marriage record. As you say, it apparently has not been published online. I have a date of March 20, 1905, in Duronia. I am not completely confident that the date is correct. I am also not certain what name will appear for the bride. She was born Margherita Mariannina De Vincenzo. After that, she seemed to drop the first name and use variations of the second. Luckily, the groom's name is the same in all records: Onofrio DiNucci.

I wanted to find all 3 so that it would be simple to ask for certified documents for specific records. As it is, I can ask for two specific birth records, but I will need to request a search for the matrimonial record, and hope that my date is correct.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

It is possible that in the birth certificates of the future spouses there is a note indicating when and where the marriage took place, together with the number of the act.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Carolinalaska

Post by Carolinalaska »

Ann, I have looked at your site and may contact you at some point for further help, thanks.

Mmogno, Thanks for this suggestion. I have copies of the photos of both birth certificates, no mention of matrimony on either of them.