Italian Citizenship for My Daughter

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Dominic2000

Italian Citizenship for My Daughter

Post by Dominic2000 »

I have dual citizenship for the United States and Italy. I became an Italian citizen in 2012, and I got my European passport the same year. I will need to make an appointment with the Houston, Texas consulate next year to renew my passport. While there I want to register my daughter for Italian citizenship. Please let me know what steps that she and I need to do in order for this to happen. I am hoping it will be a relatively simple process since I am already a citizen of Italy based on my paternal grandfather's bloodline.

Thank you,
Steve
Dominic2000

Re: Italian Citizenship for My Daughter

Post by Dominic2000 »

I am not sure if it makes any difference, but my initial application for citizenship, which was approved in 2012, was done with the Los Angeles consulate not the Houston consulate.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Is your daughter still a minor? If so, the process is easy. You simply fill out the AIRE registration form (available on line) and her birth certificate (long form, apostille, translated).

If she is no longer a minor, she would have to submit her own application. Most consulates will allow her to use the documents you submitted if she is applying at the same consulate as you (I believe this would still be LA, but documents may have be transferred to Houston; you would need to check.). If she is applying at a different, consulate, she would have to submit a full document set as you did when you applied.
Dominic2000

Post by Dominic2000 »

My daughter is an adult. My AIRES is in Los Angeles, and my daughter lives in Texas within the jurisdiction of the Houston AIRES. Since I now also live in Texas, I will be requesting a change of address through my Los Angeles AIRES. It is my understanding that my case file (i.e., relevant documents) will then be sent to my new AIRES in Houston. It would make no sense for her to go through entire documented process that I went through nearly 10 years ago. Do you agree?

Also, can my adult daughter request Italian citizenship for her two minor daughters at the same time she submits her application for Italian citizenship or does she have to wait until she is fully approved?

Thank you,
Steve
Dominic2000

Post by Dominic2000 »

My daughter is an adult. My AIRES is in Los Angeles, and my daughter lives in Texas within the jurisdiction of the Houston AIRES. Since I now also live in Texas, I will be requesting a change of address through my Los Angeles AIRES. It is my understanding that my case file (i.e., relevant documents) will then be sent to my new AIRES in Houston. It would make no sense for her to go through entire documented process that I went through nearly 10 years ago. Do you agree?

Also, can my adult daughter request Italian citizenship for her two minor daughters at the same time she submits her application for Italian citizenship or does she have to wait until she is fully approved?

Thank you,
Steve
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I totally agree, and if your entire document file is sent to Houston, she should be able to apply using the document set you used during your own application. Logically, it shouldn’t matter where you and your children apply, since if you are recognized as an Italian, your children should be able to apply directly through you. Unfortunately, with the consulates, logic does not always prevail, and an adult seeking recognition must submit a full document set. However, the consulates generally do not require that a totally new set be submitted if they have the parent’s documents in their files. Understand, though, that she is submitting her own complete application and should schedule a jure sanguinis appointment as soon as possible.

Your daughter’s minor children should be added to her application, and she should submit their apostilled and translated birth certificates along with her own. That process, at least, is easy.

My son and I applied for citizenship about fifteen years ago, but because of work reasons, my daughter chose not to apply. When I was gathering my documents, I ordered a second set for her, but if she chooses to apply any time soon, she can use my submitted documents because she resides in my consular jurisdiction. Minor children are easily entered in AIRE, which is why it is preferable to submit their documents before they reach the age of majority. I have prepared an instruction document for my grandchildren reminding them that, as Italians, they have the responsibility to keep their AIRE files up to date with marriages and births. Saves a lot of problems.
Dominic2000

Post by Dominic2000 »

First, thank you for your reply. I have received contradictory information from one other source. I am told since my daughter is in a different consulate jurisdiction, she would have to submit a new file like you noted as well as another source who agreed. However, unlike you and one other, another source indicated that, since I am registered as an Italian citizen, my adult daughter would only have to submit a file that includes information on me and her mother as well as relevant documents for her and her two minor children, not for my grandfather who was born in Italy. Do you agree that since I am registered that she doesn't have to document back to my grandfather?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I wish I could agree. Logically, as I noted earlier, your daughter should be able to apply with your records only. After all, you ARE an Italian citizen, and she obtains citizenship through you. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any consulate that allows that (thus the preference for submitting children’s records before they reach their majority).

Hopefully, your application documents will be transferred from LA to Houston, which would eliminate the necessity of obtaining totally new files. That will save her some costs and additional time. Unfortunately, Italian consulates have become less and less user friendly since you and I applied.
Dominic2000

Post by Dominic2000 »

ok. Thank you.