Sicilian DNA

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian DNA

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 11 May 2022, 19:14
darkerhorse wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 18:40 What is the best testing company to use in order to detect Sicilian DNA?
Just looking for an update on your current thinking on this topic.
I still say 23 & Me, with an upload to GEDMATCH. My Ancestry ethnicity mix was updated (again), and it IS by far the most accurate from them so far, but it doesn't separate out Sicilian (at least for me; it just lumps it with Southern Italian). My BFF who has predominantly Sicilian on both sides (with a bit of Greek from both and a touch of French from his mother) DOES indicate Sicilian from Ancestry but he has nothing north of the island so that could be why --

At least 23 & Me will show you a regional map...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I might have asked this before, but if I can trace virtually all paternal direct ancestors back seven generations in the same province in Sicily (mostly in the same town) how likely is it that an ancestry origin other than Italian would be detected on my paternal side?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 12 May 2022, 18:46 I might have asked this before, but if I can trace virtually all paternal direct ancestors back seven generations in the same province in Sicily (mostly in the same town) how likely is it that an ancestry origin other than Italian would be detected on my paternal side?
You might very likely find some Greek, Balkan or West Asian. Maybe even N African. Like you said regarding my migration example, those ethnicities are very present in Sicily, and since you mention the same town, those ethnicities would keep recycling so they likely would not get as quickly diluted out as a more migrant family would that is present in various regions (such as my Italian ancestors).

But the only way to know is to test...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

FYI
AncestryDNA isn't available in Sicily.

So you have to wonder how good it is in detecting Sicilian ancestry.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Even though they list the following DNA regions:

Northern Sicily

Aeolian Islands
Caltanissetta Province
Central Messina Province
Cerda
East Messina Province
East Palermo Province
East Trapani Province
North Agrigento & West Caltanissetta Provinces
Northeast Central Sicily Region
Northwest Agrigento & South Palermo Provinces
Palermo
Palermo & Northern Sicilian Islands
South Bagheria
South Cefalú
Southeast Trapani Province
Termini Imerese
Trapani Province
West Messina & North Enna Provinces
West Palermo Province
West Sicily Region

Southeastern Sicily

Agrigento Province
Catania Province
Southeast Sicily Region
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

As I mentioned, my BFF came back as Sicilian, not Southern Italian, but, he has no mainland Italian, so that might be why...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

How can Ancestry.com have reliable DNA data for Sicily if AncestryDNA isn't even available there?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 18 May 2022, 19:39 How can Ancestry.com have reliable DNA data for Sicily if AncestryDNA isn't even available there?
That's probably a better question for them. They must have a control group there...
Mark

greglam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by greglam »

I did the Ancestry test several years ago, so there have been several refinements to my results over the years. For my Italian (Paternal) DNA, my results are as follows:

Northern Italy: 12% No further specificity
Southern Italy: 35% Northern Sicily - East Palermo Province

"East Palermo Province" includes Termini Imerese, which, when I was a kid, is exactly where my grandmother told me her parents came from.

So, if nothing else, it came back quite accurate for me.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

That level of detail would be helpful.

By "Ancestry test" do you mean AncestryDNA from Ancestry.com?

According to your paper trail, what percentage Italian are you?

According to your paper trail, what percentage Sicilian are you?
greglam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by greglam »

darkerhorse wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 20:05 That level of detail would be helpful.

By "Ancestry test" do you mean AncestryDNA from Ancestry.com?

According to your paper trail, what percentage Italian are you?

According to your paper trail, what percentage Sicilian are you?
Yes, AncestryDNA.

I'm not sure what you mean by my "paper trail".
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Based on what your family told you or on documents you have.
greglam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by greglam »

darkerhorse wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 22:03 Based on what your family told you or on documents you have.
Pretty much squares with what I knew going in. My paternal grandparents are both from Italy, Pescara and Sicily. My maternal side is Irish and Hungarian.

On my paternal side, my grandfather's parents both have deep roots in Chieti, Pescara, going back at least hundreds of years (I'm back to my 5x great-grandparents). And while I haven't found much of anything for my paternal grandmother's side yet, she did tell me when I was a kid that her family came from Termini Imerese.

On my maternal side, all I knew prior to the AncestryDNA test was that my maternal grandmother was Irish, and my maternal grandfather (I never knew him) was Hungarian. Happily, my mother also took the AncestryDNA test, and she got rather detailed community results on both the Irish and Hungarian sides. Interestingly, there was a fair amount of English/Scottish on her maternal side. And because my maternal grandmother's maiden name is one of the more widespread surnames in Ireland, there already exists a rather deep genealogy for that line, and several hundred years back, there was a line of English and Scottish who married into it.

Hampering me a little bit is that my maternal grandmother's grandfather seems to have been "Famine Irish" and simply put on a boat as a youngster (age 10 or younger, as near as I can tell), and I can't seem to find a ton of paperwork for him either before or after he showed up on the shores of the U.S. The rest of the Irish side seems to have come to the U.S. pre-famine, as both of my maternal great-great grandparents appear to have been born in the U.S., with my 3x great-grandmother born in Ireland.

Circling back to the paternal grandmother side, I really can't seem to find much paperwork on them at all. And making things more difficult, it looks like her grandfather (*maybe* g-gf) and his brothers seem to have made some arrangements where they named all of the males after each other, so I have multiples of each name with relatively close birthdates. So it's like trying to pick needles out of a needle stack.

I was communicating with a 3rd or 4th cousin from that line, and he ran into the same issue trying to sort it out. And we both agreed that we are related - and grew up only about 5-10 miles apart - but we can't seem to sort out where each of our direct lines branches from the tree.

And making it even more difficult, as I was talking it out with myself the other evening, my paternal grandmother had numerous siblings, but mostly sisters, and of the males, one died unmarried and childless in the 1960s. and the other married but had no children, and died in the 1980s, so I don't really have any extant relatives carrying on my grandmother's maiden name to consult with.

So that's basically where I'm at.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Sounds like going in you figured you were 25% Northern Italian and 25% Sicilian (from your paternal side), a bit different than the 12% and 35% from the DNA test, but, although Abruzzo is more central, it has been historically linked to Southern Italy so I could see the percentages being fluid.
greglam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by greglam »

darkerhorse wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 15:10 Sounds like going in you figured you were 25% Northern Italian and 25% Sicilian (from your paternal side), a bit different than the 12% and 35% from the DNA test, but, although Abruzzo is more central, it has been historically linked to Southern Italy so I could see the percentages being fluid.
Yes. In doing further research, although I have yet to establish a paper trail, I have reason to believe that at some point prior to the level of my 5x g-gf, that side of my family came to Abruzzo from somewhere in the area around/between Matrice, Campobasso and Deliceto, Foggia.