500 years

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: 500 years

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 19:05 Does the 500-year window apply to all DNA testing companies, or only to Ancestry.com?
Some companies advertise "ancient" DNA, but it's mostly populations like "hunter gatherers", etc & not specific ethnicities. For that, I think 500 years is the accepted threshold. Beyond that, things get so diluted down that it would be next to impossible to get any kind of accurate data, I would think...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Before considering ancient DNA, my priority is to pick up where the paper trail leaves off in the 1700s.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 15:58 Before considering ancient DNA, my priority is to pick up where the paper trail leaves off in the 1700s.
The "ancient" DNA, IMHO, doesn't tell you much unless you're are a deep-dive researcher or genealogist. I, like you, am more interested in recent generations and ethnicities...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...