Please translate - thank you so much!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mark4440@comcast.net
Rookie
Rookie

Please translate - thank you so much!

Post by mark4440@comcast.net »

Hi,

Can someone please translate this birth certificate into English for me, please?

Before you translate the whole thing I'd like to find out if this is my great-uncle. His name is: Battista Gianotti.

His father is: Giovanni Maritno Gianotti and his mother's name is: Maria Teresa Reinerio (spelling?).

He may have been born 9/13/1878.

Thanks for your help!

Birth certificate # 270.
mark4440@comcast.net
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Please translate - thank you so much!

I'm not sure why the attachment is not attaching. Let me try it again.

Hi,

Can someone please translate this birth certificate into English for me, please?

Before you translate the whole thing I'd like to find out if this is my great-uncle. His name is: Battista Gianotti.

His father is: Giovanni Maritno Gianotti and his mother's name is: Maria Teresa Reinerio (spelling?).

He may have been born 9/13/1878.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
Battista birth certificate.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

No, the parents are Domenico Gianotti and Maria Mezzano.

BTW we prefer you to post the links to the online records, when you have them, please.

Angela
mark4440@comcast.net
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you so much, Angela, I appreciate it! Sorry, I'm new to all of this, how would I post the links to the online records?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

To post the link you basically just right click in the address bar, a black box should come up, scroll down to "copy", click on that, and then right click again here, black box will come up, and click on paste. Or you can use your keyboard: click and hold down "Ctrl" and v to paste.

Hope that makes sense.

Angela
mark4440@comcast.net
Rookie
Rookie

Okay, I think I see, so it's better to copy the address link and then post the link right in this box?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mark4440@comcast.net wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 01:02 Okay, I think I see, so it's better to copy the address link and then post the link right in this box?
What box? What you are doing is you are first coping the address of the online record, and then you are going to post here for us to look at. I often just post the link to whatever document I'm working on first, just in case I lose it in the process of trying to post it here.

e.g. https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 76#p338176

I've just copied (hopefully) this conversation here and posted here.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mark4440@comcast.net wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 01:02 Okay, I think I see, so it's better to copy the address link and then post the link right in this box?
Sorry, I think I've confused things. It’s not really a black box that pops up. I was multi-tasking at the time and couldn’t remember what it was called. It’s basically the pop-up menu or “context menu” which pops up when you “right click” in the address bar. Yours would probably be white not black.

Angela :oops:
mark4440@comcast.net
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks, did I do this correctly? So if I want to have the following birth certificate of my great uncle translated I just copy the link and put it right here like this? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1475996
I haven't posted this birth certificate to the group yet.
BTW, on a different topic but still regarding birth certificates; I know that they put the last name first on the certificates but is the next name the person's first name or middle name? We can use the above link for an example. Gianotti Giovanni Battista - Is Giovanni his first name and Battista his middle name or vise-versa? Thanks again!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Perfect!!! You've got it - even with my clumsy instructions.

Yes, Giovanni Battista is correct - it basically translates to "John the Baptist".

Re the surname always coming first, surnames may not do so in the actual body of the record. They might be switched round to given name first, then surname last. So if you come across a record which shows both names, that can be either surname or given name, then just note how all the other names in the record are noted, as there generally will be consistency within the record. As an example the names Gerardo and Battista can be both given names and surnames.

Edit to Add: I omitted to say that the Surnames don't always come first in the margin. You'll get to know your own records, and things might change during certain time periods.

Angela
mark4440@comcast.net
Rookie
Rookie

Wow, that's awesome, thank you so much, that's some very helpful information! So Giovanni would be his first name then. John the Baptist is interesting to say the least!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

mark4440@comcast.net wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 08:13 Wow, that's awesome, thank you so much, that's some very helpful information! So Giovanni would be his first name then. John the Baptist is interesting to say the least!
"Giovanni Battista" is the first name
mark4440@comcast.net
Rookie
Rookie

Wow, that's very interesting, Livio, I've never heard that before, thanks for the info!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thanks Livio.

Mark, the last record you have posted is the correct one so I've translated here. There is just one little word that I can't decipher so maybe Livio or someone else can take a look.

Birth No 176: Giovanni Battista

Registered Locana 14 September 1877

Appearing was Martino Gianotti, 31 yo contadino, living in Locana who reported that at 3.05 pm, on 13 September 1877, in the house in Frazione Bardonetto (hamlet of Locana), from Maria Teresa Reineiro, 18 yo, contadina (peasant/farmer) his wife living with him, (....? living in Locano), was born a baby boy who he presented to the official and gave the name of Giovanni Battista.

Then it gives the names of those witnessing the registration.

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 09:10 Thanks Livio.

Mark, the last record you have posted is the correct one so I've translated here. There is just one little word that I can't decipher so maybe Livio or someone else can take a look.

Birth No 176: Giovanni Battista

Registered Locana 14 September 1877

Appearing was Martino Gianotti, 31 yo contadino, living in Locana who reported that at 3.05 pm, on 13 September 1877, in the house in Frazione Bardonetto (hamlet of Locana), from Maria Teresa Reineiro, 18 yo, contadina (peasant/farmer) his wife living with him, (also domiciled in Locana), was born a baby boy who he presented to the official and gave the name of Giovanni Battista.

Then it gives the names of those witnessing the registration.

Angela
Giovanni Battista is often abbreviated as Giobatta