Children of Giacomo and Aurora Salvatori of Sorbo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
msalvatori

Children of Giacomo and Aurora Salvatori of Sorbo

Post by msalvatori »

I am trying to find out how many children were born to my Great-grandparents Giacomo and Aurora Salvatori of Sorbo(di Tagliacozzo). My grandfather, Oreste(Emilio) is their son. Oreste was born 5/15/1900 and died in June of 1955. He came to America in the 1920's and lived in Yonkers. I know he came over more than once, however, I can only find one listing on the Ellis Island website, in 1923(last name spelled Salvatore). My father was told he came over sometime before or during WWI, with one of his brothers, which one we dont know. I do know that two other children or Giacomo and Aurora were named Francesco and Arcangelo, but there were a few more and possibly at least one sister. How do I find out the children that were born to them? PS...there is a Vincenzo and Sebastiano that can be found on Ellis Island site, they are cousins. I dont know about Gianpietro also on the site. I do know no other brothers stayed in America like my grandfather.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Children of Giacomo and Aurora Salvatori of Sorbo

Post by mfjp »

msalvatori wrote:I am trying to find out how many children were born to my Great-grandparents Giacomo and Aurora Salvatori of Sorbo(di Tagliacozzo). My grandfather, Oreste(Emilio) is their son. Oreste was born 5/15/1900 and died in June of 1955. He came to America in the 1920's and lived in Yonkers. I know he came over more than once, however, I can only find one listing on the Ellis Island website, in 1923(last name spelled Salvatore). My father was told he came over sometime before or during WWI, with one of his brothers, which one we dont know. I do know that two other children or Giacomo and Aurora were named Francesco and Arcangelo, but there were a few more and possibly at least one sister. How do I find out the children that were born to them? PS...there is a Vincenzo and Sebastiano that can be found on Ellis Island site, they are cousins. I dont know about Gianpietro also on the site. I do know no other brothers stayed in America like my grandfather.
For those wishing to help, here is the Nov 1, 1923 manifest of Oreste b1900 that is mentioned above...

First Name: Oreste
Last Name: Salvatore
Ethnicity: Italian, So. Italian
Last Place of Residence: Tagliacozza, Italy
Date of Arrival: Nov 01, 1923
Age at Arrival: 23y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Patria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0006

Page 1

and

Page 2

I've been to a church in Tagliacozzo... my ancestral town has a wonderful relationship with this town...

What a beautiful place too!!

Maria :P
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here's a poorly transcribed manifest... :roll:

Since you've mentioned Vincenzo... thought I would post this one..

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2656060584

First Name: And
Last Name: Salvatore
Ethnicity: South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Cagliacorro (Tagliacozzo)
Date of Arrival: Jun 02, 1903
Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Gallia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0016

Going to Yonkers to join his brother Vincenzo...
--------------------

Note... Ancestry. com site down due to maintenance...

Maria :P
msalvatori

Post by msalvatori »

Thanks!! I am pretty sure that Vincenzo is a cousin though, not a brother. He would be the brother of Sebastiano, another cousin who settled in Yonkers. I looked at the ship manifest for my grandfather and it said he would be residing with "cousin Vincenzo Salvatori." Also, if I remember correctly, I think I determined through Vincenzo's ship manifest, that Sebastiano is his brother.
My father also remembers Sebastiano from Yonkers being his fathers cousin. Unfortunately, my father was only 15 when his father was killed and I think they probably didnt keep in touch with that side.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Certificate of Family Status or Genealogy
Certificato dello Stato di Famiglia
If your ancestors left Italy after about 1880 and you know the name of the town in which they lived, you can write to the local Ufficio Anagrafe (Registry Office) and request a cerificato di stato di famiglia. This certificate, unique to Italy, records information on the entire family, rather than just an individual. It usually contains the name, relationship, and date and place of birth for each family member, often including family members who moved away or died. Some towns began keeping this record as early as 1869, but it wasn't in widespread use until after 1911.

Here is the address to write for the above record.

Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza Duca degli Abruzzi
67069 TAGLIACOZZO (AQ)
ITALY

Letter should be in Italian, include a self addressed return envelope, a copy of your photo ID, & an international reply coupon (obtain from your post office, coverages the return postage).

Link to form letter.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... agrafe.asp

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
msalvatori

Post by msalvatori »

Thank you JCSM!!!! :D
msalvatori

Post by msalvatori »

I have my letter typed and ready to go....I am excited!!! :D