Do I have to bother my grandmother?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KorB

Do I have to bother my grandmother?

Post by KorB »

I'm happy so far it looks like I have a clear path to obtain citizenship.

I got off the phone with my great uncle earlier and he said that my great grand father became a US citizen in 1946. Also another relative has his italian birth certificate, but I dont know how hard it will be to get in touch with them so I will try to order it online somewhere. My grandmother was born in the US in 1915 and my mother was born in 1953.

My 91 year old grandmother is alive and doing great. If I apply for italian citizenship do I need to ask her to apply first? I would hate to bother her with anything like this, I'm not familiar with Italian law.

P.S. any tips with the rest of the process would be greatly appreciated.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Do I have to bother my grandmother?

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
no, you don't need to bother anyone.
Here there are some FAQ useful for who wants to apply for Italian dual citizenship

http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/id50.htm

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Hi,
I edited my last private message to you to provide more information on this topic. Hope it helps.
KorB

Post by KorB »

Thanks!
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

[align=justify] Actually if your grandmother is the line carrier there are some consulates which will actually require her to "reclaim" her citizenship via Juris Sanguinis before your mother (or you for that matter) would be able to apply. I assume she was not married to a Native Born Italian who sought citizenship at any point during their marriage. If so, she would have (although indirectly) renounced her Italian citizenship. [/align]

Just throwing out the possible quirks...

Keep us posted!

Jim Bianco
KorB

Post by KorB »

JamesBianco wrote:[align=justify] Actually if your grandmother is the line carrier there are some consulates which will actually require her to "reclaim" her citizenship via Juris Sanguinis before your mother (or you for that matter) would be able to apply. I assume she was not married to a Native Born Italian who sought citizenship at any point during their marriage. If so, she would have (although indirectly) renounced her Italian citizenship. [/align]

Just throwing out the possible quirks...

Keep us posted!

Jim Bianco
When you say they require her to "reclaim" her citizenship what exactly do you mean? She would actually have to apply? Right now she is over 90 years old and I really dont want to bother her with any of this. I wonder if she signs a declaration of living ascendant if that would mean the consulate would bother her and send her lots of mail. She might be afraid of losing social security benefits or medicare if I ask her to apply. Even though I've heard that claiming citizenship does not cause you to lose any rights here in the US I really dont want to inconvenience her.

Are you saying that the chain would be broken if I applied 20 or 30 years from now and she never "reclaimed" her citizenship even though her father was an italian at the time of her birth?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Don't think you'll have a problem. Even the most annoying consulates are reasonable. Your 90-year old grandmother won't be bothered.