Italian census?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Italian census?

Post by sheronb »

Is there such a thing??And if so, can you view them online?
Please excuse me,if this a silly question!!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian census?

Post by wldspirit »

The catasto onciario......but very rarely found online. Some years and some towns have been transcribed, but the information contained differs from one area to another, according to historical context and political division.

wldspirit
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

Thats a shame!! Might have slolved a few problems!! oh well, it s Latter day sanits centre for me, for sure!!!Thanks.
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I would ask Suanj if she can check to see if there is a remote possibility
that your town of interest is available.......as I said, they are few and far between, and the few are scattered among varying years...... :?
I have only seen perhaps a dozen..........
Best of luck in your hunt!!
wldspirit
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Shernob
Received your pm. (I'll let you into a secret- I didnt realise what the p.m. was when I first joined either)
So glad you made contact with Tuzzio (Darren) maybe you will find a connection there.

Good luck with the research at the FHC.
Please let us know how you get on.
God Bless
Emmy
Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marco »

Today censuses are taken every ten year in Italy but data is not easily accessible and not online (afaik). Some censuses were taken in the preitalian states and some of them are kept in State archives and/or in the town-hall archives. I know that the city of Pavia had (in 1961) the data of a census done in 1820s and 1860s (when it was under Austria), but when I asked them a few years ago they seem to have moved everything (or more likely they didn't want to make the search).
The Catasto Onciario was taken in the kingdom of Naples abt. 1752 (not sure) with some pre-censuses in the 1730s. The census was repeated afterwards, but with less details (I think I remember that there was only the indication of the head of family and the sum due). Some of them are available on line. If it's a small town it's easy to study, otherwise is a nightmare ... families are sorted in alphabetical order by first name of the head of family! I had to browse through all families living in Brindisi one by one and the handwriting of 250 yrs ago is not that readable ...
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Marco.......

When I first did the Civil Records and found them alphabetized by first name I practically came unglued......what a waste of time (for me, but probably not for them). Sometimes the surname is written so small that you just have to go through all the records anyway.

When I read above that this was done in the census as well....nightmare isn't the word that came to my mind---but at least it is one that can be typed without being deleted!

Since this occurs in many records in different places, you know that someone told them to do it. I just want to know who handed down the directive to index things by first name! There must be some logic to it that I am missing....
Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marco »

They probably weren't thinking of us :wink: I think for them it made no real difference, what they wanted to know was how much you had to pay: your name is Carlo Marzolla? A ... B ... C you have to pay xxx once (once is plural of oncia and it is the currency! that's way it's called onciario). They just didn't think of someone wanting to search for all people bearing the same surname. Why would you ever do such a thing? Do you want to pay for all of them :D ?
Anyway browsing through the Catasto is the easiest task when compared to browsing through notary acts!
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

Hi Sorry not got back to you all!!
Thanks for advice about census, the town im looking for is SORA, in Lazio.

Am also taking Italian lessons now, hopefully this will help in my seach!! though please dont mention Italian verbs!! They will be the death of me!lol just like french!! :D
Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marco »

Censuses for Sora are probably kept in the State Archive of Frosinone. Here some info. The director is
ms Viviana Fontana (email vfontana@archivi.beniculturali.it). I think you can write her asking what do they have for SORA.
good luck
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

thanks Marco.
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

well, ive just ordered 4 films for Sora, from LSD today, may take amonth to come, but fingers crossed!!
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

We'll keep our fingers crossed to..... :wink:
Let us know how it turns out.....love to hear success stories!!!!!
wldspirit
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

do the LDS have the census (Italy) and if so is it easy to look at?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

currently, in this website, last update is 1744 year Catasto Onciario of Sora-only index, but very helpful
http://www.abruzzoheritage.com/genealogy.htm#frosinone

but is necessary to subscribe and to pay.. it are many records very interesting

http://www.abruzzoheritage.com/subscribe.htm
more: also you can ask here
http://www.onciari.net/
if the Sora catasto onciario is transribed already in the book ... maybe you can to buy it...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH