Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JSaccaro wrote:
I wrote an email earlier to this email address that suanj posted earlier
aspa @ archivi.beniculturali.it
Here is the letter:
www.italiangenealogy.t...pic&t=4576
Should I write another email to the address you posted? I still haven't heard back from the email I sent earlier this week.
Julie
Hi Julie,
Do you have access to a Family History Center? If you do, there are tons of films that you can order from the FHC for about $5.75 a roll. Here is the link for the film numbers in order to view birth, marriage, and death acts of your ancestors.
Thanks for the links. I have been trying to get in touch with the Family History Center nearest to me in Germany to find out if they can order records from the States. I'm not having much luck getting in touch with them. I may drive over there sometime this week. If they can get those films, I think that would help my research tremendously. If I can't get those films, then I will have to wait until I'm back in Louisiana which will be sometime in July.
JSaccaro,
the civil record office in Corleone can issue any kind of certificate (birth, marriage and death certificate) and also can make a photocopy of any civil act older than 70 years old.
The Civil record office of Corleone has all the civil records from 1820 to nowadays.
Archivio di Stato di Palermo has civil records from 1820 to 1865.
Mormon have Corleone civil records microfilm from 1820 to 1895.
If you ever need a civil record for Italian citizienship can be issued only by Corleone civil record office (Comune-Ufficio di Stato Civile di Corleone).
Ufficio di Stato Civile di Corleone and Archivio di Stato di Palermo have all the civil records helpful to trace ancestors.
Remember, any time you write to an Italian office or Archive write only in Italian,
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
I have yet another question that I hope you can help me with. I hope you all aren't sick of my many, many questions.
Regarding the microfilms from the Family History Library Catalog, can I get marriage information from 1940- 1947? I'm looking for my grandparents marriage information and I can't seem to find any information on ancestry.com. I did find a Family History Center near me and I would like to order some of the microfilms. I want to order everything at once if possible because I was told it can take awhile for them to arrive.
No julie this records are protected data for privacy law, but the descendants can ask the marriage act directly to civil records office...regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website: ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Thank you as always for the advice. I did manage to find where they divorced but can't seem to find where they married. According to the divorce decree they were married in East Baton Rouge Parish but the really nice person on the other end of the phone could not locate the marriage certificate. I may try New Orleans but it is so hard to find the Clerk of Court. They have the Clerk of Criminal Court, Clerk of recorder of mortgages, etc. I may wait until I get home to continue the search on that subject.
Earlier this week I found a Family History Center where I could order microfilms. So, I ordered the birth of Salvatore, Catherine and Joseph from Corleone as well as the marriage for Salvatore and Catherine. Will let you know what I find when it arrives.
Thanks again for all the help you all have given me.
This site may also be useful to you. It's volunteers in different counties across the USA. They volunteer to lookup records or do gravestone photos. I've linked the page for Louisiana.
I did look into that findagrave but the cemetery where my g-grandparents are buried is huge. So without an idea of where they are located I don't think anyone would volunteer to look at every grave. I can't blame them either!
So I did run into a bit of a wall. I sent off for Josephs birth certificate (through myitaliancitizenship.com) but they couldn't find a birth certificate from the Comune di Corleone.
Joyce provided this address before, do you think it would do any good to send them a letter?
Comune of Palermo
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Giulio Cesare #52
90100 PALERMO (PA)
Try the volunteer @ Random Acts of Kindness. Cemetries have records by surname that will help them locate the graves easily. Many have Tombstone Inscription books.
This is just a suggestion, but if I was you, I would order the films from LDS (Think you said you did in an earlier post?) Then I know the registry has been checked under all variations of spellings & first names, middle name.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
I finally received a letter regarding my grandfathers birth certificate. I sent it in April and I just received a response yesterday!
They could not find any record of Salvador Saccaro's birth certificate so they sent me an application for a delayed certificate of birth. Does anyone know what this is and why they might have sent it to me?
JSaccaro wrote:I finally received a letter regarding my grandfathers birth certificate. I sent it in April and I just received a response yesterday!
They could not find any record of Salvador Saccaro's birth certificate so they sent me an application for a delayed certificate of birth. Does anyone know what this is and why they might have sent it to me?
Thanks!
Julie
What comune replied?
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
I didn't apply for his birth certificate in Italy. I applied in New Orleans. I did go through myitaliancitizenship.com for my great grandfather's birth certificate (in Corleone) but they couldn't find anything either. I'm beginning to get a little frustrated because it seems like I'm running into dead ends everywhere!
I called Vital Records in New Orleans and the oh-so-not-helpful lady on the phone told me that in order to get a delayed birth certificate I would need three records with his birthdate on there. I said, well that's why I wanted his birth certificate so I could get some of that information!
She told me I would need a DD - 214, a 1920 census sent from Indiana? and his batismal certificate.
Does anyone know where I can locate a DD-214 and why I would need a copy of the 1920 census from Indiana? Is that where the original or certified census' come from?
The only form DD-214 that I know about is a military discharge form. I've never heard about a certified census & census records are at the National Archives (possibly also kept at the Census Bureau).
Who May Request the Registration of and Sign a Delayed Birth Certificate.
(1) If the birth of any person born in this state is not recorded in this state, the registrant (if 18 or older), the registrant's parent(s) or guardian, next of kin, or person older than the registrant having personal knowledge of the facts of birth, may request the registration of a delayed birth certificate subject to these rules and instructions issued by the State Registrar.
(2) Each delayed birth certificate shall be signed and sworn to before an official authorized to administer oaths by the person whose birth is to be registered. The registrant must be 18 years of age or over and competent to swear to the accuracy of the facts stated therein. If not, the certificate shall be signed and sworn to by one of the following in the indicated order of priority:
(a) One of the parents of the registrant;
(b) The guardian of the registrant;
(c) A relative who is older than the registrant;
(d) Any person older than the registrant having personal knowledge of the facts of birth.
(3) A delayed birth certificate shall not be filed for deceased individuals when application is made more than seven years after the birth is alleged to have occurred.
I really don't think a delayed birth certificate would help in your search for Italian town information, but could be wrong. Have you requested his sister, Maria's, birth record.......you don't want a certificate, you want a copy of the actual record.
Have you received any new documentation?....Did you get death certificates for great grandparents? Joseph's & Ella's marriage record?
Somplace in this post, I think you mentioned having someone's (Joesph b. 11918 ?) baptismal record. Have you contacted the church for information?
Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
In Italy Christmas is usually dedicated to family, while New Year's eve is spend to have fun and celebrate with friends. The most common tradition for New Year's Eve it's called "Veglione" that literally means "The Big Stay Awake". A Veglione is usually organized in restaurants, hotels or clubs and...