DeNunzio?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
hachaliah

DeNunzio?

Post by hachaliah »

Hey all.
Perhaps you can help me figure this one out. I'm looking for immigration information for the DeNunzio family. Here's what I know:
Gabriele and Palmira (Trampetti) DeNunzio along with Mary, Vincent, Josephine, and Louis came to the U.S. in 1903 according to the census of 1910/20/30. For the life of me I cannot find any record of them coming into the U.S.! I have tried all the spellings I can come up with, such as DiNunzio, D'Annunzio, etc. But have not had any luck.
Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks!
--Brian--
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: DeNunzio?

Post by Esperanza »

There is this record.... but he did not sail for whatever reason.

1906 Manifest

First Name: Gabriele
Last Name: Denunzio
Ethnicity: Italy Italian S.
Last Place of Residence: Cassano Menrge
Date of Arrival: Apr 26, 1906
Age at Arrival: 26y Gender: M Marital Status: U
Ship of Travel: Roma
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0002

Could you provide a year of birth for these people? It would help us with a search...

Not one person came over in 1903 according to the Ellis database... with that exact spelling (DeNunzio)

Speranza
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Providing for age reference, if this is the correct family.

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Palmira Denunzio
Home in 1930: Medford, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1865
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's name: Gabriel

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Gabriel Denunzio 65
Palmira Denunzio 65
Mary Denunzio 34
Helen Denunzio 22
Victor Denunzio 20

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Did Gabriel die in California in 1940?

California Death Index, 1940-1997

View Record Name Death Date Death Place Gender Birth Date Birthplace Mother's Maiden Name Order Record

View Record DENUNZIO, GABRIEL 5 Jul 1940 SAN DIEGO MALE 23 Oct 1863 OTHER COUNTRY NAPOLITANO (mother's maiden name)

And from same source>

Record DENUNZIO, PALMIRA 23 May 1951 SAN DIEGO FEMALE 15 Mar 1871 OTHER COUNTRY

jcsm
hachaliah

Post by hachaliah »

Hey everyone.
Sorry for the delay in replying.
From what I understand, the birthdates are as follows:
Gabriele: Oct 23, 1863 - July 5, 1940. I do believe he did die in San Diego.
Palmira: Mar 15, 1871 - May 23, 1951. Same for her.
Domenick: Abt 1891 - ?
Mary: Abt 1894 - ?
Josephine: Oct 24, 1896 - Dec 28, 1987. She died in Duxbury, MA
Vincent: Jan 20, 1897 - Nov 4, 1977. He died in San Diego. This is why I assume his parents died there too.
Louis: Dec 24, 1899 - July, 1980. He died in Revere, MA.

Hope this helps. I'm confused about the 1906 record as all three census reports state 1903 for the family. How could it be off by three years?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

To order their death records, see this site.

http://vitalrec.com/cacounties3.htm#san%20Diego

Hope this helps.

:) jcsm
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

You can request birth record about Gabriele to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Piazza Aldo Moro 10
70020 Cassano delle Murge (BA)
Italy

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
Esperanza wrote:There is this record.... but he did not sail for whatever reason.

1906 Manifest

Could you provide a year of birth for these people? It would help us with a search...

Not one person came over in 1903 according to the Ellis database... with that exact spelling (DeNunzio)

Speranza
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

ricbru wrote:You can request birth record about Gabriele to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Piazza Aldo Moro 10
70020 Cassano delle Murge (BA)
Italy

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
Esperanza wrote:There is this record.... but he did not sail for whatever reason.

1906 Manifest

Speranza
Because of the census records + more... posted by jcsm (thank you) and the information hachaliah provided later, the manifest I linked is not the one she/he is looking for... plus the year of birth is off considerably.

There is still a bit of American history you need to complete first before writing to Italy.

Thank you Riccardo for clearing up the name of the town (Cassano delle Murge) and providing the address to write to.

You never know... we may need this information later... but right now we haven't confirmed the town of origin.

Speranza
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

hachaliah wrote:Hey everyone.
Sorry for the delay in replying.
From what I understand, the birthdates are as follows:
Gabriele: Oct 23, 1863 - July 5, 1940. I do believe he did die in San Diego.
Palmira: Mar 15, 1871 - May 23, 1951. Same for her.
Domenick: Abt 1891 - ?
Mary: Abt 1894 - ?
Josephine: Oct 24, 1896 - Dec 28, 1987. She died in Duxbury, MA
Vincent: Jan 20, 1897 - Nov 4, 1977. He died in San Diego. This is why I assume his parents died there too.
Louis: Dec 24, 1899 - July, 1980. He died in Revere, MA.

Hope this helps. I'm confused about the 1906 record as all three census reports state 1903 for the family. How could it be off by three years?
Thank you for updating us with this information. Your Gabriele was born in 1863, the Gabriele on the ship record was born about 1880 - so he's not the one...

Census records - some are accurate... some are not... but if all 3 census records have the same year of immigration, that might be a good immigration year to work with.

We'll just keep looking!

Speranza
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi hachaliah,

In 1930 (census information), Gabriel's naturalization was pending, meaning he had filed at least 1st paper (the Intention) in the process of becoming a citizen. Here is information on obtaining his records.

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcgen/genidx.htm#lists

But since all naturalizations do not provide town of origin information. I suggest that you obtain the birth records of his children born in MA and death records for the family. Hopefully, the town of origin will be provided on one of them.

Another idea.....If one of his children who was born in Italy obtained a SS number, the application will show (if filled out properly) town of birth.

Pre-1906 manifests do not list birth towns & all manifests are not online & some immigrates came thru Canada first & list that date on census records.

Hope this helps.
:) jcsm
norma

Post by norma »

Hi Brian,
My mother is Elena Denunzio LoPinto. She went by Helen rather than Elena. She passed on 10/25/2000. She married my father, Andrew LoPinto in 1941. He was a medical doctor in San Diego. I have one sister. We both live in San Diego.Victor DeNunzio had three children and his daughter Pam lives in San Diego.. Hope this helps.
Norma
sweetsinta

Post by sweetsinta »

Hi All!
I see that this is an older thread but I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm at a dead end researching my DeNunzio family. I see that there are a lot of posts here with names, but they don't match the names I'm trying to locate. I am related to a Antonio DeNunzio b. 1888 in Pietrelcina (wife Incoronata Saginario), his father is Saverio b. 1866 (ife Anna Maria). And that's where it ends. I am particularly trying to find siblings for either, and Saverio's parent's names. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Henrybill

Post by Henrybill »

Incoronata Saginario DeNunzio was my grandmother's sister. I knew her and her husband growing up. My grandmother was Filomena Saginario. I know a total of 10 siblings including Incoronata and Filomena (some I have names and dates, some I don't). Their parents were Giovanni Saginario b 14 Jul 1857 in Pietrelcina, and Corintia DeNunzio b 10 Feb 1860 in Pietrelcina. Giovanni and Corintia were married on 2 Apr 1877 in Pietrelcina. I don't know if you are still researching this but I can provide more info going further back if you are interested.
Bill Loffredo