Demasi/Dimasi, Franceso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Samish

Demasi/Dimasi, Franceso

Post by Samish »

I am trying to locate my grandfather, Francesco Demasi. He would have been born around 1940. The last name could also be spelt Dimasi.

He came to Australia with his father in the late 1950's from Southern Italy. In 1958 he resided in Wollongong and he and his father opened a fruit shop in the Port Kembla area.

My mother was born in March 1959.

He could have possibly returned to Italy sometime later. I am not sure if he returned to Australia.

If anyone has any information at all regarding Francesco Demasi/Dimasi or information that could help me with my search in any way, please let me know.

Any information would be appreicated.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Demasi/Dimasi, Franceso

Post by suanj »

Hi

it are:
DE MASI Francesco - Nationality: Italian - Arrived Melbourne per Ugolino Vivaldi 28 August 1949
and :
DI MASI Giovanni - Application for Landing Permit [DI MASI Cosimo,Panajia Maria Teresa,AIELLO Luigi,Mario,Domenico,Angela,Natalina,Francesco] the Panajia surname is a surname of Calabria region south Italy.. and especially in Caulonia town, where are present also the DI MASI surname...if you can to provide more infos, it will be helpful for the search, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Samish

Post by Samish »

Hi Suanj, thanks for your quick reply. I really don't have much to go on. Are you able to provide me with any other sites or good forums or any other information which could help me with my search. What documents am I able to obtain and where can I obtain them. Any information that you think could help would be greatly appreciated.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

for first thing, you must to request the birthact of your mother and the marriage act of Francesco and your grandmother, so you can know the Francesco birthdate, parent's names and birthplace.. in the 1959 this info are been provided from Francesco.. sure! regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Samish

Post by Samish »

Hi. My grandmother and Francesco never got married. My grandmother was 16 when she had my mother. Apprently Francesco was 19. They were very young and after my mother was born their relationship ended. His name was not put on my mother's birth certificate. The only other thing I think could help is that my grandmother eventually made Francesco pay maintanence for my mother for child support until she was 16 years. Is there anyway I could obtain his birth certificate without knowing his exact birth date, is there any way I could obtain records for maintainence payments. What sites could I look at, or what departments could I go to in Australia or Italy alike.

Thanks, regards

Samish.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, if:
"In 1958 he resided in Wollongong and he and his father opened a fruit shop in the Port Kembla area.." .. well, I don't know as much of Australia, but in Italy it is possible to know the resident people in the 1958... so i believe that in Wollongong, in home town offices they could be the records abt a Di Masi italian family.. however from as I can say you, it is that most probable, really most probable your Francesco was born in Caulonia town... if you can to obtain the Dimasi family record resident in Wollongong perhaps we can know more...

about the second record of a Dimasi Francesco immigrated, well this family, really, (from a first search) it was a large family all from Caulonia ... it was as head Giovanni( mentioned above) and Ilario ( Ilario Salvatore Dimasi/Di Masi).. Ilario had a son Francesco called... I have a record of Francesco in travel with mother and sister in the 1959, so it seems that cannot be your Francesco, but also this family and Ilario head made so much travels in Australia, from 1949... I found some info abt this family, and obviously are some discrepance between them memories and the right records of immigration.. because sure Ilario came the first time in 1949 and no in the 1951 as they remember.... more: also some member of this large family, well they made more travels( back in Italy and back newly in Australia) and the spelling of surname .. well sometime Dimasi and sometime of Demasi, so really this is a first traces, because all peoples of south Italy that came in Australia well for large part they coming from Caulonia town.. however currently some member of this large family live in Bentley town...
if you can to obtain some record from Wollongong abt your Francesco it could be very helpful... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Samish

Post by Samish »

Hi, Suanj

I am quite interested in your finding of Ilario Dimasi. You also say that a Francesco came to Australia with his mother and sister 1959. Was it his first visit to Australia in 1959, if this is so, then obviously this could not be the person I am looking for but if he arrived at an early time and than perhaps went back to Italy, say late '58 or early '59 and returned to Australia later in '59 with sister and mother, perhaps this is the same person. Any how, I have thought about another detail of information. He may have had a son who is roughly 8 years younger than my mother. He may have returned to Italy and married their and than perhaps returned to Australia later. Is their any way you can search marriage or birth records in Italy for a time period after '59 for a Francesco Dimasi born around 1940. Perhaps this Dimasi family you speak of perhaps they had a fruit shop in Calabria, Caulonia prior to coming to Australia. Are there any business searchs you can do in Italy that perhaps match these names or the Dimasi/Demasi, name in general to any fruit shops in that area or surrounding areas. Also, I couldn't understand your information (quote) "well sometime Dimasi and sometime of Demasi, so really this is a first traces". Are you saying the two names could be for the same people. What do you think I am best going with, Dimasi or Demasi. Sorry if I am requesting information which is too general or to difficult to obtain but I am trying anything.

Regards,

Samish.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Chris abt:
"well sometime Dimasi and sometime of Demasi, so really this is a first traces"
I mean that in emigration manifest the same people are listed as Dimasi and Demasi sometimes.. moreover it is impossible to find a Dimasi fruit shop in Caulonia, but it are a Dimasi fruit shop in Australia
Dimasi Fruit & Veg
Address: 37 South Western Highway
DONNYBROOK 6239
Phone: 97311158

and however for a search in Italy needing almost the essential data( birthyear and name father).. so you must to search in Australia... to search in the australian first destination of Francesco, and, personally I think that to phone at some Dimasi/Demasi in Australia could be helpful... as already said this people with this surname emigrated in Australia, if of south Italy, well they was in max part coming from Caulonia...

In the wall of honor in australia abt Dimasi Gemma are wrote that was accompanied by daughters and son(Francesco) http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/welcomewall ... archType=1

but I found that Gemma was only with Ermelinda and no Maria daughter

http://www.immigrantships.net/v5/1900v5 ... 90406.html

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Samish

Post by Samish »

I have still had not luck. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.