Microfilm documenting......confused

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
denise_

Microfilm documenting......confused

Post by denise_ »

Firstly- I am researching ancestors from Northern Italy - Udine area - Towns: San Quirino, San Vito al Tagliamento, Fiume Veneto and Pasiano

here it goes:

I am new to genealogy and to the forum. I joined last November and have learnt so much from reading the postings. You are truley an amazing group.

I am researching my husbands ancestors first, since his family is 'smaller' than mine. Intentions to use my husbands ancestry as a template to my family research. His family is from San Quirino and mine from the remaining towns above.

Husbands ancestors: What we know:

- we know his grandparents dates of birth and death (Marriage date for only one set of g-parents)

- we do not know how many brothers and/or sisters they each had

What I have done so far:

- I have ordered, received and viewed mircofilms from San Quirino - civil registration records (1871-1911) at the Toronto Family History Library

- I have scanned most of the indexes onto a CD - the quality is not great once scanned -- mostly not legible. I think that it would be better to document in writting first and then make copies for reference??? I need assistance here...how do I document???

- I have purchased Family Tree Maker software

- I have called and e-mailed the Comune di San Quirino requesting information back in November - still waiting

Now I am confused! I do not know how to document this information and how to organize it. So far, reading the postings and viewing the films have got me a little bit more comfortable with the civil registration forms (birth,marriage and death). I am ready for the next steps.....

How would I document the information from the microfilms- since I do not know how each grandparent or great uncle/aunt fits in? Is there a form or a spreadsheet or both specific to Italy research (does anyone have a method in documenting, for example, first extract information to spreadsheet and then do forms???) I found some forms in a book written by Lynn Nelson, "A Genalogist's Guide to Discovering your Italian Ancestors". I ask because I am new to genealogy research and would gain much knowledge with a goood documenting process.

Thank you for listening,

I am very eager in continuing or rather beginning my research properly (At least with a plan to a good and potentially useful documentation process)...I await your ideas,

Denise
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Microfilm documenting......confused

Post by wishyou »

"- I have called and e-mailed the Comune di San Quirino requesting information back in November - still waiting"

It's normal: the last thing they do of all the works they have to do is to answer to people abroad who asks about relationship....
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Denise,

By law, they should reply within 30-60 days. Was your letter in Italian? Did you supply a copy of your photo ID? It is also recommend that you send a self addressed return envelope & 2 international reply coupons. If you did all these things, then I would send a follow-up letter.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... llowup.asp

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

When you list a source, list the mirofilm #, the name of the microfilm, the years that it covers, and then the # of the record. And the source of the microfilm...was it from the LDS, or from some other place. Needless to say, most will be from the LDS.

Each record has a number...sometimes written long-hand in Italian, sometimes just numeric. Include this number in your citation. What you want is the source of the information and the information that would allow you to find it again if you needed it.

One thing about the new scanning at the LDS. If you preview the copy before burning it to the CD you can correct some of the image. There is a function available there called Paint...your computer has it as well. You can correct the image right there at the LDS or you can scan your copy into the Paint program, magnify it, clean it up with an eraser.... I do this a lot and then include the original document as well as the cleaned-up version. It lets me and others I copy read it much more easily.

Try it...you will be amazed at the difference.

Good luck
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

denise_ wrote:- I have scanned most of the indexes onto a CD - the quality is not great once scanned -- mostly not legible. I think that it would be better to document in writting first and then make copies for reference??? I need assistance here...how do I document???

Denise
Is it the scanning - that is the problem... or is it the quality of the film?

I've used my digital camera (no flash) to take high resolution shots of the indexes... then upload them onto the computer... it helps if you have a memory card for your camera though...

I've researched from the Don Mills location many times... nice group there..

The Reference Library - Downtown location will not allow any cameras though.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

It is so important to source your information!!!!!
I made the mistake of just putting in basic info into the genealogy program, birth, death and marriage..... but I did print copies of all my documents.......
however, the stacks of paperwork soon became a burden, and when I needed some further detail, I ended up shuffling thru files to find what I needed....I could have saved alot of time and aggravation had I listed everything the first time around.

Also, I now use color coded three ring binders with clear plastic sleeves to keep all my documents in.........a real time saver!!!

wldspirit
denise_

Post by denise_ »

"jcsm400" replied:

By law, they should reply within 30-60 days. Was your letter in Italian? Did you supply a copy of your photo ID? It is also recommend that you send a self addressed return envelope & 2 international reply coupons. If you did all these things, then I would send a follow-up letter.

jcsm:
I did none of the above!
I contacted the Comune via telephone, spoke with an 'anagraphe', Sabina. I expalained who I was and that I was researching my husbands ancestors. I also provided her with details of what I knew. She responded that she has noted my request and need it in writing. She also said that my request 'domande' could be in English and it could be sent via e-mail. I asked if she required anything else. She said no.
I will follow up tomorrow with a telephone call, perhaps my request via e-mail went to 'e-mail heaven'.
I will keep you posted.
Thank you
denise_

Post by denise_ »

I will definitely try the Paint program to 'clean' up the documents.

Did you take the digital camera shot at the microfiche machine? I have three films in which are very dark. I have tried to scan and print the document. No use. One of the volunteers at Don Mills will have a look this week.
Pilot53

Post by Pilot53 »

denise_ wrote:Firstly- I am researching ancestors from Northern Italy - Udine area - Towns: San Quirino, San Vito al Tagliamento, Fiume Veneto and Pasiano

here it goes:

I am new to genealogy and to the forum. I joined last November and have learnt so much from reading the postings. You are truley an amazing group.

I am researching my husbands ancestors first, since his family is 'smaller' than mine. Intentions to use my husbands ancestry as a template to my family research. His family is from San Quirino and mine from the remaining towns above.

Husbands ancestors: What we know:

- we know his grandparents dates of birth and death (Marriage date for only one set of g-parents)

- we do not know how many brothers and/or sisters they each had

What I have done so far:

- I have ordered, received and viewed mircofilms from San Quirino - civil registration records (1871-1911) at the Toronto Family History Library

- I have scanned most of the indexes onto a CD - the quality is not great once scanned -- mostly not legible. I think that it would be better to document in writting first and then make copies for reference??? I need assistance here...how do I document???

- I have called and e-mailed the Comune di San Quirino requesting information back in November - still waiting

Now I am confused! I do not know how to document this information and how to organize it. So far, reading the postings and viewing the films have got me a little bit more comfortable with the civil registration forms (birth,marriage and death). I am ready for the next steps.....

How would I document the information from the microfilms- since I do not know how each grandparent or great uncle/aunt fits in? Is there a form or a spreadsheet or both specific to Italy research (does anyone have a method in documenting, for example, first extract information to spreadsheet and then do forms???) I found some forms in a book written by Lynn Nelson, "A Genalogist's Guide to Discovering your Italian Ancestors". I ask because I am new to genealogy research and would gain much knowledge with a goood documenting process.

Thank you for listening,

I am very eager in continuing or rather beginning my research properly (At least with a plan to a good and potentially useful documentation process)...I await your ideas,

Denise
Jan 15th 2006.
Denise...

HI... :D

Have U tried Ancestry.com????

U can post Y'r add on it & any one with information will see it & reply 2 it..I was able 2 post on it & recieved some replies :D ...
Or U can try renion.com & friends reunited.com

Good Luck....
Pilot...
From a far away Land...Down Under.......
Am a Viscuso living here in Australia searching 4 other Viscuso's as well world wide. Hope 2 get 2 know some from here
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

denise_ wrote:I will definitely try the Paint program to 'clean' up the documents.

Did you take the digital camera shot at the microfiche machine? I have three films in which are very dark. I have tried to scan and print the document. No use. One of the volunteers at Don Mills will have a look this week.
I took my shots from from the film readers. I had to research from a series of burnt and water damaged records... hard to capture a good shot...

I've also made scans and paper copies (from film) at the Don Mills location in negative format... which ends up giving you black background and white copy... I only used that method for the really dark images... sometimes it helps..

Please say hi to Peter... certainly miss the candy bowl there...
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Denise,

I think we met at the Don Mills location before Christmas. Am I correct? Am sending you a PM.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

HI Denise,

Had a great time visiting with you on Friday! I'm just sorry you had to drive home in that snow..

Spent the weekend organizing my paperwork and installing my new FTM....next time we will have to hit the library together so we can help each other.

Alot of great advice here...I'm sure some or all of it will help you in one way or another.

Look forward to hearing about your progress and remember, post whatever you need here so we can help...look at what we found without even trying.

PS> Lost that link to the library you gave me..can you send it again? :oops:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
denise_

Post by denise_ »

Hi Nuccia-

Thanks again for sharing your 'experise' techniques at organizing my research. I feel more confident and in control! I have a 'system' in place! Hope that it will work. :wink:

The link to the Toronto Public Library is: http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca

Denise
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Hi Denise,
I think everyone has their own system of documenting and eventually you will find what works for you. If you haven't already read it, I strongly recommend a book by Elizabeth Shown Mills called "Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian." I consider it the bible for documenting my genealogy. I'm glad that I read it early on in my research because it was really helpful. I checked it out at the library.

The microfilms that I have researched have always, 100% of the time, appeared clearer on the microfilm reader than they appear on a scanned version. I take notes on each civil record as I look at it on the microfilm reader. I always mark which records that I want hard copies of and I go back later and make all of the copies at once. Then, when I get home I transfer my research notes into a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet has become indispensible for me. I can find info quickly and easily. My research has been going for several years now and when I get a little confused about this or that I simply pull up the spreadsheet. Then if I have any additional questions I pull out the copy of the actual record and read it. Anyway, that's what works for me.

I think Sharon DeBartolo Carmack published a book on organizing your genealogical research. Her methods are very different than mine. But since she is a pro, she has to keep a lot more records than I do. Eventually you will find what makes sense for you.
Donna Pellegrin
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Denise!

It was our pleasure. I should thank you..you reminded me the importance of staying organized and to practice what I preach! :lol: :lol:

Just got your email, too.

I am just reading through the link you sent me..maybe you would like to share it with the others here? I love Dick Eastman. I love reading his newsletter and his reviews..There's always so much to learn from him. I have one of his books too.

Thanks again and I can't wait to hear about your progress.. :D :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database