Did anyone's Grandparents fight in WWI for Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cbbob

Did anyone's Grandparents fight in WWI for Italy?

Post by cbbob »

My Grandfather fought in WWI on the Italian side. The U.S. told them that if they would fight with them, then they would become citizens. After the war he and my Mother came here and after a while he sent for the rest of the family. They settled in Camden N.J. and worked on the farm for Campbell soup. My Mother has since passed away and she had no citizenship papers just a yellow sheet of paper saying she was a citizen.
Did this happen to any other families?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Did anyone's Grandparents fight in WWI for Italy?

Post by nuccia »

There have been several mentions on this forum about this. If Italian immigrants signed up for the Draft it would speed up the naturalization process so many did register, but not all fought.

Perhaps someone could go into more detail about this....
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

nuccia wrote:There have been several mentions on this forum about this. If Italian immigrants signed up for the Draft it would speed up the naturalization process so many did register, but not all fought.

Perhaps someone could go into more detail about this....
I believe that registering for the draft did not speed up the naturalization process. However, if an alien volunteered and served in the US Armed Forces, and was honorably discharged, a number of steps in the naturalization process would be waived, thus putting that person on the fast track to gaining citizenship. The link is to the Cornell Law School site and is for the current code which covers the period from WW I to the present.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscod ... -000-.html
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Andy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Andy »

My Grandfather was working in the U.S. when WWI began. He returned to Italy to fight with the Italian Army. After the war as, a result of his service,
He, his wife and youngest child were given passage to the U.S. by the Italian Gov't. As far as I know he went thru normal channels to receive his citizenship. I have no data to authenticate this only what I was told by his cousin who served at the same time.

Andy
joyceperrino

Post by joyceperrino »

Yes, My Grandfathers brother Donato Perrino died in 1915 in WW1.. ..
Here is a picture of the war memorial in Molise,Italy..Another good source of information.. When we was there in November. We we shocked when the towns people showed us what happened to him..

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/3817048 ... Molise.jpg

Is there a way get a picture of him off military records?