Grandmothers Passport

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
tim340

Grandmothers Passport

Post by tim340 »

Hope someone can help me. I got a hold of of a copy of my grandmother's passport and I can't understand the date written inside...I believe it's the date she left Naples...it says the following:

01 Luzlio 1913

Thats the best I can make it out...does it make sense to anyone? Family stories says my grandmother's ship docked in Jersy City NJ then went thru Ellis isand. I've looked all thru 1913 and can't find her anywhere.
Hope someone can make out what that date it.

Thanks...
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The date is July 1 1913 and Italian woman never lose their single name. Did you look under her single name when you checked EllisIsland records? peter
tim340

Post by tim340 »

Thanks Peter...

I did check on her maiden name. Her name is Marietta Rota...she went by Maria for all her life here. She arrived here single and met up with my Grandfather in Colorado. They were then married in Oct 1913. I did find a Maria Rota who arrived on 1 Dec 1913 who was about the same age as my grandmother, but that just wouldn't work because I have a marriage record from Colorado that says they were married in Oct 1913.

Appreciate your help.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You have got to be kidding!!!!!!! Two Maria Rotas arriving in Colorado and marrying two men in Colorado and you are relying on a date of October 1913 which is so obviously an error on the part of the person who prepared the marriage certificate. I would suggest based upon what you tell me to go to the office that issued the certificate if its close by and ask them to doubnle check that date. Come on how could you not think they are not the same people. Did you check to see if the marriage certifixcate had the same name for the husband?? Peter
tim340

Post by tim340 »

ok, I guess I didn't make myself clear...I said nothing about 2 Maria Rota's arriving in Colorado and marrying 2 men. I don't think I said anything about 2 marriage records.

1. Because of what you told me was the date on her passport, I now know my grandmother arrived sometime between July 1913 (passport date) and Oct 1913 (marriage record date).

2. I can't find my grandmother in the ellis island database between these dates. I did find a Maria Rota in the ellis island database with an arrival date of 1 Dec 1913, but the only things that matches with my grandmother are name and approx age...the manifest did not have this woman's final destination as being Colorado so I don't know where she went. I guess I should have left this piece of info out because it doesn't apply to my situation.

I apologize if i confused you.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

No you did not confuse me but if there is no error on the part of the marriage date of October 1913 then I would suggest that you file Form 81 with NARA (USA national archives) which you obtain thru www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm. On the form since you say she left Italy on July 1, 1913 then put in for arrival date "on or about July, 1913 date uncertain". Errors do not normallyt occur with immigration arrivals thru ellis island. Dates of arrrival sometimes change when passengers are not permitted to land with the ship and are detained on Ellis Island for medical or other reasons and then are admitted later on. But I still would double check the marriage date and send for the NARA form 81. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Postscript: What is written or stamped around the date 1 di luglio 1913 in the passport and what is the date of birth or year on the marriage certificate? Peter