Graves.

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Graves.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Does anyone know how Sicilian cemeteries work? Do they overturn the graves or leave them like they do here? I have heard they are overturned and want to know if that is true. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Mike
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Graves.

Post by ricbru »

Dear Mike,
I can tell you how it works in the cemetery of Trapani, Sicily.
My family has a graveside forever, nobody can ever take out the old caskets to make room for new members of the family.
The living member of the family can rent a new graveside for 19 years or for 99 years. When the rent is over the manager of Cemetery record office in Trapani will send someone to put a sticker on the tomstone stating that if the family members are still interested to have the rent renewed, they have to contact the Cemetery record office and pay another rent before a certain date. Otherwise the Cemetery record office will afford the costs and expenses to take the casket out so there is another graveside is ready to welcome some other casket.
The old caskets with the bones is put in a common grave.
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo :lol:
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

That helps a lot, thank you Riccardo. I hope my family got the 99 year rental!
lind

Post by lind »

I guess it all depends on the town and how old the graveyard is...as a child (20 yrs ago) when i visited my parents town in molise the graveyard was overturned...i distinctly remember trying to put the bones back together like one big puzzle! i was told then that this was common during the time of war and poverty, the graves were robbed for any valuables.
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

How sad, I have heard of that but it still bothers me. I would have ended up trying to put the bones together too! I hope my town is still intact.