Trying to find Leo/Ciancio relatives of my ggrprnts-san fili

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Trying to find Leo/Ciancio relatives of my ggrprnts-san

Post by nuccia »

At worst, you will need to order the films for Giuseppe from the FHC and get a copy of his birth act..or write away for it. It will at least provide you with the names of his parents and will save you alot of aggravation.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

San Fili is located just south of Montalto Uffugo. There was a monastary of nuns there. I think they had an orphanage, and in my searching through Montalto Uffugo records there were a number of orphans born and given surnames on the State Cival birth records. The surname given was the surname of the person who went to the village hall to report the birth (besides the midwife - her name was never used). I found a couple of these birth records. If she was an orphan, she would still have a birth record that would list her parents as "padre ignato" and "madre ignato", which means unknown.
I can check the Montalto Uffugo records for you in case her birth record is there. If you would like me to do that email me.
Cathy
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

Cathynap, I would really appreciate if you would take a look if you have the resourses. I don't want to rule anything out. I just heard that she had been a orphan raised by nuns, but she may have been old enough to have known her real name, or not. Her name was Concetta Ciancio according to the Ellis Island ship manifest (and per family). I have seen her listed as Mary Leo on the NJ Census's (her husband was called Joe or Joseph here in the USA). I don't have access to a Leo/Ciancio marriage cert or my grandmother's birth cert to verify anything, but the Ellis Island manifest was very helpful, plus her eldest child Raffaele was also with her...further confirming that she was mine. She was listed as 26 years old at the time that she crossed the big pond to come to america (Dec of 1910) which would put birth year at abt 1884.

I do intend on sending away from Guiseppe's death cert as soon as I can convince my father to give me a copy of his birth cert (he is of the old school and fears identity theft). I was also told that he had to send the original to the dept of social security so he won't have it back for a few weeks, figures he never made a copy. So until then I must wait patiently (which is hard to do).

I will keep my finger's crossed!!! Thanks.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

I will check this week (weather permitting - we are having a winter storm here). I do have that year's birth records of Montalto Uffugo. I may be able to check Rende as well - my FHC has Rende records although I do not know what years. Rende, San Fili and Montalto were all closely connected at the time. I remember several DiLeo records in the Montalto records. Leo does not ring any bells - neither does Ciancio. We have Ciancio cousins on my Grandmother's side (from another province) so I think I would have noticed that name but who knows.
I will post my findings (or lack of) here.
Cathy
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Cathy,

I knew you would help if you could! Lets see if you get lucky for twirleygrl! Thanks for replying to my email...Sending you a follow up email... :wink:

As Always, Big Hugs!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

Thankyou all for your help. We just got a winter storm here as well (CT). But thank goodness it wasn't mixed with ice...will make shoveling my long driveway much easier than last weeks storm.

I also saw a bunch of Guiseppe DeLeo's on Ellis Island and wondered if an could be my great grandpa. He must have come over sometime between 1906 and 1910, because he came over before Concetta, and Concetta had a 3 year old son. On her manifest is said she was going to her husband and Raffaele was to go to his father.

Also she came over on a Delta Delgli Abruzzi...I found a Guiseppe Leo who came over on the same ship's name, but don't know if it is him.

Found a Joseph Leo born in 1884 Italy, living as a boarder in New Rochelle, NY with a Mauaco family. It says he came over in 1907, and is still an alien.

I am trying to find the family in the 1920 census...I can't find the family anywhere! I found them on 1930 census but not 1920...strange.

They are: Guiseppe (Joseph) Leo, Concetta (Mary), Ralph, Mary, Lena, Jenny, and Angelina.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I thought it might be helpful to post the 1910 and 1930 census records you mentioned.

1910 Census Record for Joseph Leo

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4057/zleo1910oa8.jpg

1930 Census Record for Joseph Leo and family

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/7487/zleo1930nm6.jpg

In the 1930 census, note that daughter Mary's yob is about 1923, New York, so it appears that the 1920 census record we're looking for is in New York with children Raffaele, Frances, Lena and Jennie, wife Concetta or Mary (her first name on the 1930 census), and Joseph as head.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

I searched individually for Joseph/Guiseppe Leo, Concetta/Mary Leo, and Raffaele/Ralph in the 1920 census's in all states and didn't find them...what am I doing wrong? Is it just me?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

twirleygrl wrote:I searched individually for Joseph/Guiseppe Leo, Concetta/Mary Leo, and Raffaele/Ralph in the 1920 census's in all states and didn't find them...what am I doing wrong? Is it just me?
I've also tried using the same criteria plus surname Lio and just a wildcard search for first name Raf* and Ral* birthplace Italy, yob 1905 +/-5 years, relationship son, for New York, Westchester. Nada.

Joseph's WW I registration card lists his 1917/1918 address as 38 River St, New Rochelle. Based on a mapquest lookup for that address, the cross streets are Hugenot and Spring. Steve Morse's site shows ED districts 108 and 109 for the 1920 census. I'll take a look on ancestry for the 1920 census records for New Rochelle in those EDs and do a page by page when time permits.
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

my goodness, that is a good idea. Can I access the census by street on ancestry?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Twirleygrl,

Sent you a PM.

Biff
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Biff..sent you a PM...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

I am trying to figure this one out. Joseph/Guiseppe Leo the father of my grandmother Jenny Leo would be in his mid 30's during the 1920 census. This "Adopted Son" is the same age as Joseph/Guiseppe's eldest son Ralph. I called my mom and she said that she doesn't remember my father having an uncle Joseph, just his grandfather. She said that perhaps he had a cousin Joseph. She will ask him to try and remember.

It is possible that Rafaelle aged 70 is Joseph's father? And M could be a mother or step mother? Why can't I find this page or these person's thru ancestry?

I am still trying to figure out what happened happened to my grandma Jenny and her older siblings (she should be a toddler on the 1920 census).
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

twirleygrl wrote:

It is possible that Rafaelle aged 70 is Joseph's father? And M could be a mother or step mother? Why can't I find this page or these person's thru ancestry?

I am still trying to figure out what happened happened to my grandma Jenny and her older siblings (she should be a toddler on the 1920 census).
The 1920 census record for Raffele Leo is misindexed and can be found by searching for first name Leo, surname Raffele.

In doing a quick page by page of the 1920 census for New Rochelle, District 109, I didn't find Giuseppe/Concetta and family, but you might want to double check. My eyes, like the rest of my body, ain't what they used to be.

Although it would be nice to locate the 1920 census record, we really need to find the ship manifest for Giuseppe Leo since it could contain the clues we need.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Still looking for Giuseppe Leo's/Lio's/DiLeo's/DeLeo's ship manifest. Aargh!

While noodling around looking for San Fili info, found the following.
The current ten most common surnames in San Fili with the most common being Lio. List also includes Ciancio.

http://calabria.indettaglio.it/eng/moto ... San%20Fili