Ships Manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vicwargo

Ships Manifest

Post by vicwargo »

I was just wondering if this is common or if anyone can explain a couple of things to me. I pulled up the ships manifest for my gg father on ellisisland.org. It shows that he left Naples on Feb. 27th, 1906 on a ship named Germania. I pulled up the same ship and arrival date on ancestory.com and the manifest has completelty different names. The top of each manifest looks the same but the names are all different.

I was also curious about the manifest on ellisisland. There is a line drawn thru his name and several others. Does anyone know why this would be done?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Ships Manifest

Post by nuccia »

I'm late for work so I really can't give you a complete answer right now but I can provide this link to what some of the manifest markings may mean..

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/name/

When the name was crossed out it could mean that the passenger didn't sail or was detained for some reason. They may have been added to the manifest of the next ship.

Sorry, not a complete answer but I'm sure someone will step in a tweak this answer.

Gotta run...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

If you give us the name of the passenger, we can check. However, the dates listed at Ancestry, are ARRIVAL dates, not sailing dates---in the index. So not sure what you are referring to.

Some manifests are called "missing". The photographs of pages do not match the indexes and you have to go back and find them manually. A lot of 1906 records are like this, and quite a few before 1900. After the 1906 manifests, those "missing" or mis-indexed are few and far between.

So let us have the name and we will check Ellis Island and then Ancestry and see if we can see what you are referring to.

Crossed out names...if most of the line is blank it means they probably didn't sail. If filled out completely and then crossed through....often the person was in the ship's hospital or held for special inquiry. In this case, you will find reference to the individual with other ship's hospital patients and if they were allowed in or deported. If held for special inquiry, then if allowed to continue their passage, the individual is released and entered on another manifest of another ship entering the NY port. Otherwise, they were deported.

If detained at Ellis Island, the rest of the ship landed at the port in NY...so they could not be listed as having "landed" because they still were at Ellis Island. When released, they were placed on another ship going into port and listed on that manifest instead. Sometimes there are a few weeks apart between when initially listed and crossed through and when the person actually got off in NYC. There are times when months pass....

Need to be open to these possibilities when looking at the records. If you look at the page numbers at the top of the page at Ellis Island and then look at the page number at the top of that listed at Ancestry, they probably don't match...need to see if you can locate the same page.

Let us look at it and see what we can help you with........

Have a good day!
vicwargo

Post by vicwargo »

Whew....I almost got lost there. :D

OK here is the Ellis Island info:
First Name: Ferdinando
Last Name: D'Ossofrio
Ethnicity: Italy, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Terracina
Date of Arrival: Feb 27, 1906
Age at Arrival: 28y Gender: U Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Germania
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0006

He came here twice that I know of. This time in 1906 and then again in 1907 with my great grandmother. On the records from 1907 his last name is D'Onofrio. I know this is his record from 1906 because I was able to look at the record from 1907 and reference back. His name has been marked thru on the Ellis Island manifest. I cant find any reference of him on ancestry.com or of his wife. Much of my confusion has come from the names. After moving to Schenectady he went by Denefrio. 1906 has him as D'Ossofrio. 1907 has him as D'Onofrio and his wife as D'Orofrio (first name Giovanna) Also...the 1907 records show him from Dragoni and this from 1906 states Terracina. I really feel completely lost and confused.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The 1906 manifest could be him...but he didn't sail. The line is not completely filled out so he likely did not travel. The age is different from the 1907 entry that you DO know is him. I think this is a different person altogether.

At this point, I believe the 1907 manifest indicated he was in the US before...from 1904 to 1906. This is one I cannot locate...maybe one of the others who are great at this will find it.

You must remember that names...first names and last names repeat from generation to generation. What we consider a "rare" name today--like Ferdinand--would be more common in a part of Italy 100 years ago. Hence, many names are the same but the people are different.

Ignore the 1906 listing.....and work on seeing him arrive between 1903 and 1905. Let's look again and see what we can find.
vicwargo

Post by vicwargo »

You are awesome! I just looked at the 1907 manifest again and what I thought was 2/06 looks more like 2/04. I will check on that. I did just speak with my grandmother and although she was not directly related she does remember both my great grandmother and grandfather. I now know that the name that is listed as who they were going to see is Libestro Cornell.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

For your reference only, here is how he is listed on ancestry.com..

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Ferdinando D Anfrio
Name: Ferdinando D Anfrio
Estimated birth year: abt 1878
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Germania
Search Ship Database: Search the Germania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 6
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_668
Page Number: 46
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
vicwargo

Post by vicwargo »

Ugh...another spelling. Thanks for looking that up for me. You have obviously been doing this much longer than I have! I feel like I am running in circles. So now I have Denefrio (I know this isnt correct), D'Onofrio, and D Anfrio. I dont think I have ever seen the name D Anfrio anywhere. Any ideas on what my next step should be?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I'm going to go out out a limb here..is it possible he changed his first name to
Fred?

1930 United States Federal Census
about Fred Denefrio
Name: Fred Denefrio
Home in 1930: Scotia, Schenectady, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Jennie
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Fred Denefrio 45
Jennie Denefrio 40
Michael Denefrio 19
Ralph Denefrio 17
Patsy Denefrio 13
Tony Denefrio 12
John Denefrio 9

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Scotia, Schenectady, New York; Roll: 1644; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 4; Image: 615.0.

Lists the immigration date as 1906 and living on Wilmarth (?) Str. I can link the image if you think it may be him.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Heres the family in the 1920 Census..

1920 United States Federal Census
about Fred Denotti
Name: Fred Denotti
[Fred Denette]
Home in 1920: Scotia, Schenectady, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Spouse's name: Josephine
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1907
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 160
Household Members:
Name Age
Fred Denotti 36
Josephine Dennotti 31
Michael Dennotti 9
Raffaele Dennotti 5
Potsy Dennotti 3 2/12
Tony Dennotti 2 1/12

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Scotia, Schenectady, New York; Roll: T625_1262; Page: 3B; Enumeration District: 116; Image: 160.

Now to see if we can find them in an earlier Census.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Possible but still I am not convinced that this is them in the 1910 Census...need to check the marriage dates..

1910 United States Federal Census
about Ferdinando Denntvis
Name: Ferdinando Denntvis
[Ferdinando Denutvio]
Age in 1910: 26
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Jinnie
Home in 1910: Glenville, Schenectady, New York
Marital Status: Married
Year of Immigration: 1903
Household Members:
Name Age
Ferdinando Denntvis 26
Jinnie Denntvis 22
Roff Velon 46
Gus Lumbordi 18

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Glenville, Schenectady, New York; Roll: T624_1077; Page: 14B; Enumeration District: 165; Image: 371.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
vicwargo

Post by vicwargo »

Yes that is their family. I found the first census record but not that 2nd one. I guess I wasnt looking for a name in Schenectady other than Denefrio. Denefrio is my maiden name. Patsy was my grandfather. I do know that they had a daughter before Michael but she died very young. Michael also disappeared. My grandma says he witnessed a felony and took off. Another piece of info that I am not sure is of any good is Jennie said her real name was...I will try to spell it phonetically because I dont have the correct spelling. Ja-wha-va-nina Antonucci. I have found the military records for John, Patsy and Ralph (who is listed as a negro). My grandma says that is because they tanned so dark.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The name is probably Giovannina Antonucci. Giovanni is translated into John in English. The female form of Giovanna or Giovannina would be Jenny. Not really a name change as much as a translation. People at the time would understand one meant the other like libra is book. Now we tend to think of it as a name change. Yet in reality, just a translation.

If I read the census listings above, then her name is listed as Josephine in some of the census data. This would have been Giuseppa in Italian...or Giuseppina. But Jenny should be Giovannina as stated above.

Giovannina should be pronounced as GEE-O-VAHN-NINA, and Giovanna would be GEE-O-VAHN-A

Hope this helps.

By the way, on the passenger manifest of her arrival, her name is listed as Giovanna not Giovannina.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

In doing some searching relative to the city of Schenectady, I found the following online doctoral dissertation on Italians and Poles in the city of Schenectady which you might find informative.

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/pascucci/

I also believe that the uncle Ferdinando and Giovanna were joining in Schenectady might be Silvestro Corniello. Take a look at their 1907 manifest again.

http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0005

And then check this manifest for Giuseppe Corniello from Alvignano who arrived Ellis Island a few weeks after Ferdinando and Giovanna. Alvignano is a town just southeast of Dragoni. Looks like Giuseppe and Ferdinando might be cousins.

http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0008

In looking for Ferdinando's first ship manifest, I found this one from 1921 for a Pasqualina D'Onofrio with son Domenico from Alvignano going to Schenectady to join husband Ferdinando Corniello. I suspect there's a connection between the Alvignano and Dragoni D'Onofrios.

Pasqualina Manifest Page 1

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

Pasqualina Manifest, Page 2

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

Just some information to squirrel away for later reference if needed. Hopefully member dragoni will be able to help seaching the Dragoni microfilm records. In the meantime, hang in there. There are some wonderful people here willing to help.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vicwargo

Post by vicwargo »

You guys are amazing! I took that last info you gave me Biff and found this census from 1930.
Lewis E Cornell
Home in 1930: Scotia, Schenectady, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1891
Birthplace: New York
Spouse's name: Theresa

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Household Members: Name Age
Lewis E Cornell 39
Theresa Cornell 40
Sylvester Cornell 9
Marie Cornell 12
Lawrence Necco 83

When speaking with my grandmother yesterday she told me that Theresa Cornell helped to take care of my grandfather. When I tried to search for Silvestro Corniello I found this record.

This all really does mean a lot to me. We are stationed here in Europe for at least another 2 years and being so close to Italy I would love to plan a trip to the town where my great grandparents came from.