IGNAZIO family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

IGNAZIO family

Post by Gina501 »

I am searching for anyone with the surname Ignazio. I am hoping we are related and can help each other.

My great-grandfather was Carmeloni Ignazio. He did not know his birth parents and was raised by the Della Valle family. He came to America, New York, in 1899 I think. He married my great-grandmother Rosa Biani on 12 APR 1908 and had 5 children (all deceased). This is all we know about him. No birthdate, no death date, no family history, nothing. His marriage license says he was from Pavia. I do not know if this was his birthplace or where he lived when adopted.

Please contact me if you know anything, or think you may be related.

Thanks.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: IGNAZIO family

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Gina,

I know you are anxious to do the Italian research, but you might be better served by getting all the USA records you can.

You state he had 5 children here. Do you have all of their birth certificates? They may list where he was born. His death record should have his parents names on it. Whether correct or filled in will be determined by what the informant knew, or thought they knew. Church records may also have clues. If his funeral was conducted by an Italian Catholic Church the priest often will note the town of the deceased.

Would your ancestor have a WWI draft card? That will provide information. Did he naturalize?

If he came in 1899, have you found the family on the 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930 census.

If he did not know his birth parents because he was a foundling, or abandoned infant be prepared that you most likely will not find any informaiton on his birth parents.

Just a caution. YOu know his name and approxiamate birth date, or the date he used. Due to naming traditions, there can be more than one male with the same name in the town. How are you going to differentiate "your" ancestor from that of a cousin? If he was an abandoned infant, his name is more likely to be unique.

Good luck in your search.
Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Just a guess here, but is this your family:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Nazio Cromeloni
Name: Nazio Cromeloni
[Nazio Carmeloni]
Home in 1920: Manhattan Assembly District 18, New York, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1882
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Nazia R
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1904
Image: 110
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Nazio Cromeloni 38
Nazia R Cromeloni 32
Frank Cromeloni 10
Joseph Cromeloni 9
Ernest Cromeloni 7
Lena Cromeloni 2 4/12
John Cromeloni 6/12

Debbie
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

hi Debbie. thanks for the info. That census is certainly my family. Those are Carmeloni's children. I have all the info on the relatives born in the US. I need to know about Carmeloni. Since he was adopted, I don't know if I'll find much. His marriage license states that his parents were "unknown". I do not know when he was born or where he came from. No one seems to know. But thanks for the help anyway.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

[quote]If he did not know his birth parents because he was a foundling, or abandoned infant be prepared that you most likely will not find any informaiton on his birth parents. [quote]

Sad..but very true.
We did a whole thread on this subject, very interesting...Suanj provided some great pictures of where the babies could be abandoned safely.

I would do as Deb suggested....PULL ALL U.S. documents before pursuing Italian records.

Will try to locate that thread...
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Thank you. I would aprreciate it.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Having a hard time locating the exact thread.... :?
But this may help:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... fants.html
Suanj had posted some great pictures along with the thread...here is but one:
http://www.romasegreta.it/images/ruota_esposti.jpg
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Thank you, I read it all. Was very helpful. But my great-grandfather was not a foundling. He was given a name, Carmeloni Ignazio. He was taken in by the Della Valle family. This is all I know.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Gina,

All foundlings were "given" names, usually by the mayor. Then the mayor, sometimes the priest, would find a family to take the child in. Some records state the name of the wet nurse the child was given to.

My husbands grandmother came into this world under these exact circumstances. She was abandoned as an infant. Given to a wet nurse. Research has shown the wet nurse had lost 3 babies, one very shortly before grandma's birth. Grandma became one of the lucky, wanted children. She filled empty arms and a broken heart. This women became her loving mother and she was treated as a very wanted family member. I would have never found her birth record or understood and followed the story without the American research.

It is my understand that in Italy these abandoned children usually kept the name given to them by the mayor their entire life, at least in Italy. It was their legal name.

Some foundlings were later claimed by their birth parent. In this case there is a notation and correction on the birth record.

Start with trying to find the death record for your ancestor. You may find that it states his parents were unknown or may list the names of the family that raised him.

One thought, if the family that raised him, was the original family that he was given to by the mayor, this will confirm you have the correct person. Also foundlings were usually given unique names.

Debbie
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Thanks Debbie. I will start there. I am pretty sure however, that my great-grandfather was named by his parents. As opposed to being abandoned, I think they were killed. At least that's the story I got. Who knows? I could find out more if I could get his death certificate, but I can't seem to locate it.
Gina

Kignazio9

Post by Kignazio9 »

Hello..I saw your post and wanted to let you know there are lots of Ignazio's in Mahoning County, ohio.. My grandfathers parents came over from Italy with the last name Longo, but it was changed to Ignazio at Ellis Island.. I don't know if this is of any significance...Let me know if you have any questions... I may be able to help you out..
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, abt Ignazio CARMELONI in relationship with Della Valle family, it seems that last residence was Pecorara town, and imm. in Mar 15, 1905( also in the census it seems immigrated in 1904 .. and no in 1899).. if you can find the WWI draft registration card almost for to find the right birthdate it could be possible to find the italiand militar service by request in the right Archive... and so know so much.. Rose Biani also imm. Dec 20, 1905 coming from Pecoraro town joining Clementina sister.. http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2487011316
it is very possible that the spouses was of same italian place, birthplace or last residence... if the right Ignazio CARMELONI last residence is Pecorara, you can ask the lista di leva in the pertaining Pecorara's archive of province, but it is necessary almost the sure birthyear.. suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Hi Suanj. Thanks for the help. Yes, his last residence was Pecoraro. Rose Biani was from there (his wife). I think he was there because of her. But his death certificate and marriage certificate say that he was from Varzi in Pavia. I have found a WWI draft card with a birthdate on it, but a couple of people on this site were arguing over whether it was him or not, so I am not sure.
Gina

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Well, it is possible to look up the WWI draft card that you have? thanks, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Suanj, here is the draft card. But previously you disagreed with Biff that is was him because of who he listed as his relative. He listed Biana, and Biani is his wife's name. Rosa Biani. But you were positive it is not him, so I still do not know his birthdate. If this is not him, I don't know how I will find his birthdate, and if I don't find that I do not know how I will search for his birth record.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4222 ... ardsv4.jpg
Gina