looking for Massarotto and Marsala

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
casper

looking for Massarotto and Marsala

Post by casper »

Hi All

have just joined. I'm looking for any information I can find on my family. My father's name was Giusto Massarotto born in Rovigno November 1921 and my mother's name Nerina Marsala born in Pola (Pula) June 1929 My mother's mother's name was Floreanno born December 1903 (I think also from Pola) and my mother's father Gaspare Marsala born January 1899 (not sure where but possibly also Pola. I have no information on my father other than that he was the youngest of about 5 children. Any help would be appreciated.

Giulio
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: looking for Massarotto and Marsala

Post by nuccia »

Well, the info on your father is very vague but I used the time period and place of birth to see if I could find anyone that may be possibly connected to your father who may have come to the US and came up with this...again, I don't want to lead you on...its only a manifest of interest at this point.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Libero Massarotto
Name: Libero Massarotto
Arrival Date: 12 Jun 1941
Estimated birth year: abt 1923
Port of Departure: Cristobal, Canal Zone
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Chateau Thierry
Search Ship Database: Search the Chateau Thierry in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Italy
Line: 18
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_6552
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: rovigno
Page Number: 44

Source Citation: Year: 1941; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_6552; Line: 18; .

Lists father Francesco as his Dad. Libero was born in 1923, in Rovigno..could he be a brother? If you are interested in this relationship then you would need to go about verifying records. Is your father still alive? Do you know any of your fathers siblings names?

Page 1

Page 2
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
casper

Post by casper »

Hi Nuccia

Not really sure if Libero was a brother, cousin or related in any way. My father died about 15 years ago. The little that I do know know is that he had a sister named Anna (possibly still alive). I think he had a brother named Giovanni but can't be sure. My father also served upon a mine sweeper for the Italian Navy during WWII (as a cook I think), but can't find any records of that. My parents immigrated to Australia in 1950, leaving Naples 22nd January of that year as displaced persons.

Giulio
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Giulio,

Who filed the death info? Do you have it? Sometimes it lists the parents names on it which would be a great help. If not, then perhaps you could write to the town your father was born in and request a copy of his birth certificate.

I know you could also write away for his military records (I believe it's called Foglio Matricolare) and should be held in the province of the town he was born in. Perhaps one of our members in Italy could provide an address and more information. I'm not totally familiar with the procedure.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Interesting website you might find useful..

http://www.coraweb.com.au/shipindex.htm

http://immigrantships.net/ww2_au.html

Maybe you could even find your parents on one of these lists.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Giulio,

The link below has details on where to write for World War II Italian naval records as well as a sample letter.

http://www.regiamarina.it/research.htm
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I found the manifest for Libero Massarotto very interesting. First, notice the ship name at the top of the manifest is preceded by USAT. The vessel he served on was the United States Army Transport ship Chateau Thierry.

http://www.warcovers.dk/greenland/trans ... ry.jpg.htm

What was an Italian national doing as a crewmember of a US army vessel in June of 1941? I'll bet Il Duce wasn't happy about that. Also note the port of departure--Cristobal, Canal Zone. Based on the events taking place in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if the ship's outbound trip was carrying troops to bolster the garrison protecting the Panama Canal.

His name appears on subsequent crew lists as a mess boy on the Andrea Doria in 1954 and 1955 but not in 1956, the year the ship collided with the Rotterdam and sank.

During the war Giovanni served in the Italian navy as a cook, Libero after the war on the Italian passenger liner as a messboy. Both worked in the galley. Could Both have worked in the Italian merchant marine before the war?
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
casper

Post by casper »

Hi Nuccia

thanks for the websites.

I have gone through all the passenger lists for 1948,1949,1950,1951 but have been unable to find anything. I have now written to the contact on the website to see if he can help as the Australian National Archives (www.naa.gov.au) list my parents as coming to Australia aboard the Blatchford, departed Naples Jan 1950.

Had a thought, that my grandfathers name could be Gianni or Gregorio if my parents followed tradition. My brother's name is Giangregorio

Giulio

nuccia wrote:Interesting website you might find useful..

http://www.coraweb.com.au/shipindex.htm

http://immigrantships.net/ww2_au.html

Maybe you could even find your parents on one of these lists.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

casper wrote:Hi All

have just joined. I'm looking for any information I can find on my family. My father's name was Giusto Massarotto born in Rovigno November 1921 and my mother's name Nerina Marsala born in Pola (Pula) June 1929 My mother's mother's name was Floreanno born December 1903 (I think also from Pola) and my mother's father Gaspare Marsala born January 1899 (not sure where but possibly also Pola. I have no information on my father other than that he was the youngest of about 5 children. Any help would be appreciated.

Giulio
maybe you have already this records:
Title
MASSAROTTO Giusto born 28 November 1921; Nerina born 2 June 1929
Series number
A12008 Control symbol
328-329 Contents date range
1950 - 1950

Access status
Not yet examined Location
Canberra Barcode
[hr]

MARSALA Gasparo born 8 January 1899;
Lucia(wife) born 11 December 1903;
Francesca born 7 August 1930;
Antonino born 20 February 1932;
Anna born 20 February 1932;
Sergio born 13 August 1933;
Maria born 16 January 1941
[hr]
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Suanj,

You are amazing! Should he write for the military record of his relative? If so, do you know where he can write to?

Giulio, could this be your family? It does make sense.

Biff...your thoughts are something that Giulio may want to pursue.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Nuccia, Giulio can request directly the birthacts and marriage act and also the photocopies from original registries, directly in Rovigno; this for Massarotto, sending a email here with his ID card picture:
edita.sosic @ rovinj.hr <<< NO SPACES
http://www.rovinj.hr/rovinj/stranica.php?g=4&j=1&s=1_6

Rovigno is only 20 Km far from Pola, and for Marsala people, Giulio can request also the same records:
vera.radolovic @ pula.hr <<< NO SPACES
http://www.pula.hr/?kID=27

for militar records it is impossible to find it in Italy for 2 reasons:
1-this towns don't are under Italian government
2-in the archive it are oly the records old more of 70 years back
for to obtain the militar records, if a person is a descendant as in Giulio case, well I believe that Giulio must to write in Militar district of this towns, but for to know the exact address I believe is better to ask it in a istrian/croatian forum, maybe they can help, I cannot because the istrian/croatian language is so hard for me!
Kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
casper

Post by casper »

Hi Suanj & Nuccia

Yes they are indeed my family. I have this information so far, but nothing before it. I will write to the people Suanj has suggested in the hope that I can find out more on my father & mother's lineage. My father passed away some 15 yrs ago and my mother's memory is pretty vague. I think her father came from Pizzin or Pissin, Croatia. Mum also tells the story of being sent to live with an aunt in Austria who was a Dutchess or similar, until she was in her teens. The story goes that her aunt lost her title because she married a commoner. My grandmother's maiden name was Floreanno or Florianno not 100% on this.

Thanks for all your help so far. I really appreciate it.

Giulio
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Giulio, Let us know how you make out. Suanj gave you some great info which I think will really help you. And let us know if we can help you in any other way.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

casper wrote:Hi Suanj & Nuccia

Yes they are indeed my family. I have this information so far, but nothing before it. I will write to the people Suanj has suggested in the hope that I can find out more on my father & mother's lineage. My father passed away some 15 yrs ago and my mother's memory is pretty vague. I think her father came from Pizzin or Pissin, Croatia. Mum also tells the story of being sent to live with an aunt in Austria who was a Dutchess or similar, until she was in her teens. The story goes that her aunt lost her title because she married a commoner. My grandmother's maiden name was Floreanno or Florianno not 100% on this.

Thanks for all your help so far. I really appreciate it.

Giulio
Giulio, maybe the town could be PAZIN( PISINO in italian spell) in Pisino(Pazin) the italians are the 27% of total people
http://istra.com/pazin/eng/grad01.html
also you can look up in this website that the Pizin town is near Vermo town and no far from Pula/Pola http://www.istriadalmazia.it/scoprire/p ... rmo_01.htm
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
amassarotto

Post by amassarotto »

nuccia wrote: 17 Mar 2007, 00:28 Well, the info on your father is very vague but I used the time period and place of birth to see if I could find anyone that may be possibly connected to your father who may have come to the US and came up with this...again, I don't want to lead you on...its only a manifest of interest at this point.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Libero Massarotto
Name: Libero Massarotto
Arrival Date: 12 Jun 1941
Estimated birth year: abt 1923
Port of Departure: Cristobal, Canal Zone
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Chateau Thierry
Search Ship Database: Search the Chateau Thierry in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Italy
Line: 18
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_6552
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: rovigno
Page Number: 44

Source Citation: Year: 1941; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_6552; Line: 18; .

Lists father Francesco as his Dad. Libero was born in 1923, in Rovigno..could he be a brother? If you are interested in this relationship then you would need to go about verifying records. Is your father still alive? Do you know any of your fathers siblings names?

Page 1

Page 2
Libero Massarotto was my great uncle and Francesco my Great Grandfather!