Vendittozzi Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
korkyv

Vendittozzi Surname

Post by korkyv »

I am trying to find information on the surname Vendittozzi. MY grandfather Gabriel Vendittozzi (parents Peter and Mary (Descendo) Vendittozzi) came to the US from Sessa Aurunca in 1906. The name seems to be very uncommon.
Any help or info would be most appreciated.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Vendittozzi Surname

Post by nuccia »

What type of information are you looking to find? Do you want American or Italian records?

You could try www.stevemorse.org to locate those with the same surname coming through Ellis Island prior to 1924. Its a free site but your need to register a username and password.

Heres a direct link link to those with the surname Vendittozzi but don't forget to use the main page I first linked to check for variations in spelling.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Heres a site I really like which gives several different links to websites that may help with research..

http://www.italianancestry.com/

and surname distribution link..

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

Hope this helps some. If you would like help with obtaining American records for your family please let us know. You provided the names of your relatives but you never said if you actually needed help with records. I guess you noticed your Gabriele is first on the list of the link I provided earlier for the ship manifests.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
korkyv

Post by korkyv »

Thank you so much for your replies. At this point I am looking for both Italian and American records. I am hoping to learn if my grandfather had siblings or extended family and whether they remained in Italy or came to the US. I'm also wondering if I have relatives still in the Sessa Aurunca area. I am very new at researching, so the process is daunting -- especially since the name seems to be so unusual! Thanks for the links - I am trying to make my way through them.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Pagina Bianche online (the Italian whitepages) for the surname Vendittozzi yielded one find for a Pietro Vendittozzi in Sessa Aurunca. Go to the following link to access the record.

http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

Cognome--type in Vendittozzi
Dove--type in Sessa Aurunca
Then click the red Cerca button

edited to add
If you just search on the Vendittozzi surname without the town name, you get 17 hits for all of Italy.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

korkyv.

Did Gabriel stay in Connecticut? What was his wifes name? Is it possible he may have shortened it?

I found this interesting census record but I'm not sure he's the person you're looking for..I'm posting anyway but will delete it if its of no use to you.

1920 United States Federal Census
about Gabriel Vitt
Name: Gabriel Vitt
[Gabrel Vitt]
Home in 1920: Hartford Ward 2, Hartford, Connecticut
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Annie
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1906
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 889
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Gabriel Vitt 33
Annie Vitt 24
Peter Vitt 5
Mike Vitt 2 3/12
James Vitt 9/12

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Hartford Ward 2, Hartford, Connecticut; Roll: T625_182; Page: 9B; Enumeration District: 59; Image: 889.

1920 Census
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

interesting 1918 WWI Card
This Gabriele signed his name
Ventitozzi?

Gabriele Ventitozzi, 35
221 1/2 Front St
Hartford, Hartford, CT
25 Aug 1883 in Italy
Non-declarant
wife Anna
korkyv

Post by korkyv »

Yes, the name was shortened to "Vann," not Vitt. However I believe the record you post was my grandfather. He came to the US in 1906. He did remain in Hartford, Ct. all his life. My grandmother's name was Anna (Annie) Starace Vendittozzi. She came to the US from Stigliano. Italy. They had children in the order listed on the record --Peter and Michael -- however, I am unaware of a child named James. Interesting. Perhaps James died. Gosh you are good at this and so quick!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Is this the correct 1930 census?
Thanks!

possible 1930 census
page 2

edit: added detail
Home in 1930:
7? Portland Street
Hartford Hartford CT

Gabriele Wantetozze 45 (abt 1885)
- married age 28 (abt 1911-13)
- immig 1908 Al
- gardener, greenhouse
Annie 34 (abt 1896)
- married age 17
- immig 1912 Al
Note children all born in CT
Peter 15 (abt 1915)
Michael 12 (abt 1918)
John 10 (abt 1920)
Tony 7 (abt 1923)
Mary 6 (abt 1924)
Carmella 3 10/12 (abt 1926)
Jennie 2 10/12 (abt 1927)
korkyv

Post by korkyv »

I'm sure that is him as well. That is the correct birthdate and my grandmother and grandfather lived on Front St. in Hartford. Some of the family used Vann and some of the family used Ventitozzi -- no one, as far as I know (of this branch of the family) retained the Vendittozzi spelling.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

James could have been Vincenzo. Was there a Vincenzo in your family? Its really important to do all your American research first before attempting to research Italian records. You don't want to miss anything.

I recommend you start with yourself and work backwards documenting all you know. You can use a genealogy program and/or pedigree charts to get you started.

Check out www.familysearch.org. It offers a relatively simple and free software program and you can also download charts.

Lets see what else we can find. I'll add a link to the census above so you can view the image yourself.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Further to the above point about James..I believe the name should actually read Jennie and it was transcribed incorrectly. If you like, and can verify this, I can add a correction to the ancestry site about this.

Another thing about researching...don't forget to site your sources (as I provided in my above link). This is also a step often overlooked and when you go back to the record weeks or months or even years from now, you won't remember where you got it or if in fact its even the correct record. Your genealogy program (whichever one you choose) will actually prompt you for this info. You can choose to bypass it if you like but I wouldn't.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Question from the 1930 census:
- from Gabriel's & Anna's marriage date there
should be another manifest for Gabriel?

edit: added
or
they were married in CT?
- it appears from Anna's 1912 manifest she
was joining her brother, Antonio, in Hartford?

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Oops, just read Valeries edit and she has confirmed the info about Jennie.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Possible 1st Jennie born abt 1919 died.
Jennie born abt 1927 may be named for
her? (or the original family namesake)
Valarie