Surname D'Andre (editted)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Surname D'Andre (editted)

Post by czeffer »

I have found information that shows my husbands great-great grandfather to be Giuseppe Andre. Can't seem to find anything on this line that makes any sense.

Giuseppe's daughter was Madalena (several different spellings) born approx 1890 (I have 3 different years of birth based on records). Supposably she was born in Licate Italy (Sicily).

Giuseppe's wife would be Angela Calamita.

I am getting this information from a marriage license issued to Madalena in March of 1927.

Thank you in advance to any information you can supply or direction you can point me in.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Surname Andre

Post by nuccia »

Thank you in advance to any information you can supply or direction you can point me in.
You asked for information and direction so we will try to accommodate both requests! But first, some questions...

Are you looking for Italian records or American records? Have you done any research up to this point? If so, what other than the marriage certificate do you have? Death certificate? Obits? Pictures?

The best advice I can give is to start with yourself and work backwards charting everything you know on family group sheets, in pencil so that you can make changes as you find the actual sources. This to many sounds like the boring part but it really is important.

In what state did the family settle? Do you have names of her siblings? Children? Provide what you know and we will try to help.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by czeffer »

I've done lots of research but the problem is everytime I find a new piece of paperwork I get different dates (close) and different spellings of the names.

I would like to find Italian records. I'm told some can be obtained from the LDS and I am planning to pursue that next week. I just got the ML today.

I am doing this without any help from my husbands family as they don't talk about family and when I've asked in the past they don't want to speak about it. I'm not searching to find dirt (but the way they act I think there are some skeletons). I'm sure they could help me with some of my questions but at this point I'm not asking.

Working back....
Husbands mother is a Brunski. Her mother was a Moralle (Rosa) - born under the last name Morell. Her BC shows her to be born in Martel, Marion County, Ohio in 1916. Her BC states she is the 4th of 4 living children. My husband is only aware of one older and one younger brother - doesn't mean they weren't here - just doesn't remember them. Her BC states her mom is Mandelana Nerea, father Jim Morell. But her death certificate shows her name to be Magdalene Andrea, Father James Moralle. 1930 census for Summit County, Barberton Ohio shows Rose Moralle living with her 2 brothers, her mom, Madaline (41- est DOB 1888/89) and her step father, Andy Moretti. Shows they have been married for 4 years. Got copy of a Marriage License from her second marriage that shows her parents as stated above. The license does not appear to be filed though as there is no actual marriage date on it??? They were married in Cleveland Ohio, Cuyahoga County.

I found the Naturalization papers for Andrea/Andy (Nunzio) Moretti from Summit County, 1932. He states on the paperwork that his wife Magdalene/Madalena was born Dec 20, 1890 in Licatta, Italy and that she arrived in the US on Sept 12, 1914 (although I can't find her on any manifest under Nerea, Morell (and it's varients) or Andre/Andrea.

Can't take any of the dates as everything is off by a year or two.

So from everything I have found it would lead me to beleive that Giuseppe Andre and Angela Calamita are the parents of Madalena Andre born Dec 20, 1890 in Licata Italy. Sometime before Sept 1914 she married James Morell and had 2 children. Then Madalena arrived in the US on Sept 12, 1914 and had a child in Jan 1915 in Martel Ohio. She had 2 more children in 1916 and 1917 and a possible miscarrage in 1918. Sometime before 1927 James is out of the picture (can't find any death information on him). She marries Andrea Moretti in 1927 in Cleveland Ohio. They never have any children. In Feb 1971 Andy Moretti dies - found in the SSDI in Barberton Ohio - which is where Rose lived as a child. No death information found on Madalena, so I don;t know when she died. My husband was born in 1962 and he doesn't remember her.

I did just find tonight a record on the LDS site that shows a Angela Calamita born 02 FEB 1852 Licata, Agrigento, Italy to Angelo Calamita and Maria Muscia. This could be Madelana's mother - she would have been 38.

Anything you can think of that I haven't checked?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this all out. So much easier when we know what research has already been done.

You say you have the birth certificate, but I think the birth act is what you really need to get. It should provide more info...and is the most accurate. You could check the films and or you could write away to Italy for a copy of it.

I need to be up early for work tomorrow but you have my attention with this one. I'll check back tomorrow once I get in and see what else you can try. Oh, and don't worry about the various years..very common. The birth act date will be correct.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by czeffer »

What is a "birth act"? The birth certifate I have is for Rose who was born in Ohio. It is a copy of the original that was filed. Hand written with the doctors signature on it. Not sure I'm going to find anything more accuate. I paid $16 for it so I hope it's a copy of the original.

Thanks,
Grazie mille - Cheryl
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by czeffer »

Sorry - just realized you may be talking about the last bit I posted about the entry in the LDS site. Not really sure it is her mother as I have nothing concrete to tie the two together except the name.

How would I apply for a copy in Italy if I beleive this to be her?
Grazie mille - Cheryl
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

May help:
Using this search engine
family names in Licata
Current names in Licata same/similar
to yours:
260 people Morello
85 people D'Andrea
59 people Licata D'Andrea
59 Calamita
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Cheryl,
Using the D'Andrea name produced an
interesting manifest from 1913...
(on ancestry.com)
Valarie
1913 D'Andrea manifest
page 2
edit: added detail
Lines 11-13
Oct 1913 SS Sant Anna Palermo to NY
notated as 'family'
last residence Licata, Sicily
destination Cleveland OH
joining brother-in-law? Rosario Graci
all born in Girgenti, Licata

Maddalena D'Andrea, 30 (abt 1883)
- married, housewife
- father in Licata, Giuseppe
Angelo Marrati, 4 (abt 1909)
Vincenzo Marrali, 32 (abt 1881)
- married, laborer
- mother in Licata, Anna Lauricella
- in Cleveland 1908/1913
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by czeffer »

Some of the things match but the age of Maddalena D'Andrea, 30 (abt 1883) doesn't match.

On all the paperwork I have she was born 1889/90. Plus her mother is listed as Angela Calamita on Maggies Marriage license.

Thanks for trying. I'll have to try some more variants.
Grazie mille - Cheryl
cyoder

Post by cyoder »

I may have some information for you. My name is Cindy Moralle in Orrville, Ohio. My father is James Moralle and his brother is Vince from Barberton. His father is Guy Moralle and mother Olga Pavkov (deceased) and my grandfather's sister is Rose Brunski and her husband (deceased) is Ed, also of Barberton. So what you are saying is Ed and Rose is your hubands grandparents? I do not have allot of information, but I have sent this on to my mother and father and maybe they can help. I believe my grandfather had a brother out in the Marion Bucyrus Ohio area. I would like to know who is asking as this must be a cousin. thanks, Cindy
drivingalong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drivingalong »

Hi,
If you find out that D'Andrea is the surname in your family, there are quite a few people with that surname in Verbicaro FHS films. I have been researching different surnames, but I'm finding Spingola fathers married to a D'Andrea.
Jim
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by czeffer »

Just sent a private message to Valerie stating that with all the info I have gathered since I post in 2007 that the people shown on the manifest is the people I'm looking for.

A couple things don't make sense. Line 11 - shows Maddalena D'Andrea as married - I thought she was married to Vincenzo Marrali before they sailed - if she is married why isn't she using Marrali? Also the 4 year old child on Line 12 - Angelo - male. This doesn't make sense as I've been told by a family member that Vincenzo and Maddalena had 2 girls beofre coming. But also told one returned to Italy to live with her grandparents - which didn't make sense. She would have had to have done this beofre 1920 and would have been very young. Makes more sense that she just stayed there - but now this male is throwing a wrench into that . There daugther Angeline is shown in the 1920 census as 11 years old - which would have made her 4 in 1913 - is it possible they got the name/sex wrong?

Anyone able to read more of Column 18.
Grazie mille - Cheryl
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

czeffer wrote:Just sent a private message to Valerie stating that with all the info I have gathered since I post in 2007 that the people shown on the manifest is the people I'm looking for.

A couple things don't make sense. Line 11 - shows Maddalena D'Andrea as married - I thought she was married to Vincenzo Marrali before they sailed - if she is married why isn't she using Marrali?
This is completely normal, women in Italy retained their maiden name on all records until their death. The manifests were filled out before departure and this is why she is listed as D'Andrea.
czeffer wrote: Also the 4 year old child on Line 12 - Angelo - male. This doesn't make sense as I've been told by a family member that Vincenzo and Maddalena had 2 girls beofre coming. There daugther Angeline is shown in the 1920 census as 11 years old - which would have made her 4 in 1913 - is it possible they got the name/sex wrong?
Yes this is an error, one I have seen numerous times. I believe Angelo is your Angela.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Surname D'Andre (editted)

Post by vj »

Anyone able to read more of Column 18
Hi Cheryl!
Looks like:
Joining brother in law Rosario Graci at 2205 Orange Ave
Valarie
vj
Master