Goomba Italiano

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Biff83
Master
Master

Goomba Italiano

Post by Biff83 »

Received this from my daughter. If anyone finds it offensive, I'll delete it.

Goomba Italiano

I'm sending this out to every person I know who is Italian, could be Italian, married an Italian, lived with Italians or wants to be Italian!!!!!

Let's start at the beginning.
Come stai? Molto bene.
Bon giorno Ciao. Arrivederci.
Every Italian from Italy knows these words and every Italian-American should.But what about the goomba speech pattern? Those words and phrases that are a little Italian, a little American, and a little slang. Words every paesano and Bacciagaloop has heard,-words we hear on The Sopranos and throughout our Little Italy neighborhoods of New York and New Jersey. This form of language, the "Goomba-Italiano" has been used for generations.

It's not gangster slang terms like "whack" or "vig", if that's what you are thinking---nope, this is real paesano talk!

The goomba says ciao when he arrives or leaves.
He says Mama Mia anytime emotion is needed in any given situation.
Mannaggia, meengya, oofah, and of course, va fongool can also be used. Capeesh?

He uses a mopeen to wipe his hands in the cuchina , gets agita from the gravy (SAUCE to the NJ gang) and will shkeeve meatballs unless they are homemade from the famiglia. Always foonah your bread in the pot of gravy (sauce) or you will be considered a real coo-gootz or a Mezzo-finookio.

There are usually plenty of mamalukes and the girl from the neighborhood with the reputation is a facia-bruta, puttana or a schifosa.

If you are called cattivo, cabbadost, sfatcheem, stupido, or strunz , you are usually a pain in the butt. A crazy diavlo can give you the malokya (evil eye), but that red horn (contra malokya) will protect you if you Use it right. Don't forget to always say per favore and grazia and prego.

If you are feeling mooshadda or stoonad or mezzo-morto, always
head to Nonna's and she will fix you up with a little homemade manicott', cavadell', or calamar ', or some ricotta cheesecake.

Mangia some zeppoles, canollis, torrone, struffoli, shfoolyade ll', pignoli cookies, or a little nutella on pannetone. Delizioso!
I think I will fix myself a sangweech of cabagol' with some proshoot and mozarell' or maybe just a hot slice of peetza ..........

So salud ' if you have any Italian blood in you and you understood anything written here! Then, you are numero uno and a professore of the goombas .

If you don't get any of this, then fa Nabola with the whole thing and you are a disgraziato. Scuzi, mia dispiachay, I didn't mean that....... Just...... fugheddaboudit.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Re: Goomba Italiano

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

HAHAHAHA!! So true so true...
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

It's gravy in New Jersey too. And we ate macaroni every Sunday, not pasta. I was once sent to the supermarket for biancoline (bleach) and scadol (escarole) I came back emptyhanded because no one knew what I was talking about.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Such fun reading this. Brought back lots of memories too :lol:
Emmy
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Hahaha...

Not 'quite' the Milanese dialect that I'm used to....But hey - who cares? I understood it all and it is both true (Il Padrino, The Soprano's and half of Brooklyn and New Jersey says so...) and funny.

Thank you for a nice bit of fun among friends!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Madonn

Post by Madonn »

This was fantastic.

I'm 25, and 4th generation here in America and I understood that entire thing. I always tell people the only Italian that gets passed down in my family is Italian-American slang and curse words.

(btw, we call it sauce. I'm from Jersey. Guess it depends where you're from in Jersey?)