Longo (Jim & Mary) - Penn. or R.I.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mattera
Rookie
Rookie

Longo (Jim & Mary) - Penn. or R.I.

Post by mattera »

Hello Everyone,

Through the help of this Board, I was able to find the 1900 Census for my great grandfather's parents, Jim and Mary Longo. They were in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania in 1900, and had four children: Robert, Frank, Rosa and Katie. Jim was born in 1855 and immigrated in 1890. Mary was born in 1861 and immigrated (with son, Robert) in 1897. The three remaining children were born in the US.

I cannot find Jim or Mary/Robert's passenger records. I do not know which port they came through. I also cannot find any other census information for Jim or Mary. I was able to find census information for Frank Longo (my great grandfather) and his wife Teresa Ziroli for 1920 and 1930.

Any help finding further information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alex
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Longo (Jim & Mary) - Penn. or R.I.

Post by Biff83 »

Hello Alex,

I've been looking on and off also for a 1910 census record for the family as well as subsequent census records for Jim & Mary and haven't found any possibles. Ditto on ship manifests. I'm not sure if Frank Longo's social security, birth or a baptismal record would verify parents' names and places of birth. In doing a bit of searching and reading on Roman Catholic Churches in New Kensington PA, Frank Longo's birthplace, I found that Mount St Peter began as an ethnic Italian church in 1903. It might be worth a call to see to see if they can give you any direction in locating a baptismal record from 1895.
http://www.mountsaintpeter.org/index.html

To request birth records from Westmoreland County PA.
http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/westmo ... relandNav=|

Hope this helps a bit.

Best,
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

mattera wrote:I cannot find Jim or Mary/Robert's passenger records. I do not know which port they came through. I also cannot find any other census information for Jim or Mary.
Do you know Mary's maiden name? She would have been listed that way on the ship's manifest, often like this:

Mary Jones
Son - Robert Longo

Frankly, with a name as common as Longo, I'll bet you will have a hard time searching through databases.

Any thoughts on whether Jim naturalized? If so, take a look at this thread: http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =6294.html
Near the bottom you'll find tips on locating naturalization records. The Declaration and Petition will contain lots of useful info including place of birth, when and where he arrived in the US and the name of the ship.
mattera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mattera »

I do not know Mary's maiden name, so I cannot search that way. You are right; there are a lot of Longos! I do not think he ever naturalized, but I may be wrong.

Thanks,

Alex