Detroit Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Detroit Consulate

Post by Gildone »

Hi everybody. I applied at the Detroit consulate yesterday. Here's how things went. I did it as a walk-in (which one can do at the Detroit consulate):

It went very smoothly and more quickly than I anticipated. We arrived (my brother, uncle, and I) at about 8:45 am. They opened up at 8:55 (about 5 minutes early).

There were 4 other people there who all wanted visas. We were the only ones that morning who were applying for citizenship. They took us at about 10:15.

A very nice woman helped us, but I didn't get her name. She was very cordial but all business (you can tell that they are quite busy most of the time). At first we thought it wasn't going to go well because when I gave her my driver's license for ID, she noticed that it didn't show an apostrophe in my last name and commented "there is already a problem" (they already had a file on me and knew my last name had an apostrophe). She suggested I try to get my driver's license fixed, but I explained that the state of Ohio's Bureau of Motor Vehicles computer system won't take an apostrophe and showed her my passport which has it and that satisfied her. This was really the only hiccup, and it's not much of one at that.

She took us in the back to a conference room and met with us there. She asked for our documents one by one. She went through the process quickly and efficiently (sometimes it was hard to keep up-- part of the reason I forgot to ask her name).

She was pleased that I had my great grandparents' marriage record amended to correct the mis-spelled names. She even commented "no one does this" and inquired as to how I did it.

As it turns out, she did not want the birth and death certificates of my grandmother and great grandmother or my great grandfather's death certificate. A year ago I was given a list of required documents by the vice-consulate in Cleveland that said they were required. She also did not want the "no record" letter from USCIS for my great grandfather. The copy of the INS file that I had sent last year was apparently enough. It showed that my great-grandfather was still a registered alien at the time of his death in 1953.

Once she had all of our documents she took us back to the waiting area and gave us each an application form to fill out. The print and space to write on the form was very small and it had been copied many times so it wasn't easy to read in some places. What you put on the form is your ancestral line with all of the birth and marriage dates and places. I should have made a list of all this info, but didn't so we had to keep looking through my copies of the documents for the correct info.

She kept coming to the window to check on us, but this part took the three of us about a half hour. After about the third time that she came to check on us we still weren't done, so I said "Thank you for your patience". She seemed to appreciate that, smiled and said "that's ok" then quipped: "we have lots of patience until 12 o'clock" Smile (They close at noon every day but Wednesday. On Wednesday they re-open from 2-4).

Anyway, we were told that they are processing 35 people ahead of us. I still have to submit a copy of my wife's birth certificate and my uncle has to submit his marriage and divorce certificates, but other than that, we're done. She said once the process is completed, we would receive a letter in Italian.

We finished up at about 10:30 or so. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

I didn't bother to ask how long it would take. I just figure that it will get done when it gets done. I'm guessing at least several months to a year since they do the translations and there are 35 people ahead of us. I'm in no hurry. I started this in December 2004, so it has been a long haul anyway.

Oh, there is a parking garage right next to the building. It cost $18.50.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Detroit Consulate

Post by ricbru »

Hello Gildone,
it is nice to hear that you all had a nice experience while appling for Italian Dual citizenship.
I know that I friend of mine applied last march 2006 and after 12 months he got his certificate of italian citizenship. It happened to Miami Italian consulate.
I also read somewhere that New York Italian consulate issues that certificate after about 17 months, and San Francisco up to 2 years.
Good luck for everything and let us know when you get it so we can celebrate
bye Riccardo
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

Update: I received my recognition letter from the Consulate today (June 13). Everything still has to be recorded in the Comune, though. I don't know how long that will take, but I'm another step closer, anyway.
tlucente

Post by tlucente »

Gildone,

Have you heard back yet? It's been a year. Just curious.

I am just starting the process and I have to use the Detroit consulate as well. Do I understand you right that you didn't have to have your documents translated because they did it for you?
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

I also have to use the Detroit consulate. What is an INS file, i know it may be a stupid question?
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

Update,
i just recieved an email form the Detroit consulate and they said that I did have to have the documents translated, I think i will have it done just to be safe, plus maybe it will help speed things up if they are.
tlucente

Post by tlucente »

mmonico wrote:Update,
i just recieved an email form the Detroit consulate and they said that I did have to have the documents translated, I think i will have it done just to be safe, plus maybe it will help speed things up if they are.
They said you did or did not have to have the documents translated? That is, I suspect, going to be the most expensive task.
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

they said that you DID have to have them translated.