Found Relatives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
putt_77

Found Relatives

Post by putt_77 »

Hello,

In anticipation of my month long June trip to Italy, I wrote letters to whom I believed were my relatives there. The whole family, two brothers, their mother and their father called me just today. They were enthusiastic and even offered to let me stay with them for the whole month. Of course, we already have quarters in Rome, so this was generous, but unnecessary. They have asked for us to stay with them for a couple days. They live on the Adriatic, in Puglia. My question is, how should I receive this? I am awed by their generosity and, I guess by virtue of being American, a bit skeptical. If I stay, should I bring gifts?

Any input would be appreciated.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Found Relatives

Post by Biff83 »

By all means, accept their invitation. They extended the invitation because you are related and family is very important to them. Rather than bringing gifts for them, I'd put together an album with pictures and information on your family history to leave with them. And I'd take them out to dinner/lunch while you're visiting with them and possibly purchase something for them in Italy. Just my two cents.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

I would say Biff is 100% right, I would do just as he says.
putt_77

Post by putt_77 »

Great, thanks. You can't believe how excited I am! I guess they didn't think about the time difference and when they received my letter, they called immediately--2:30am Arizona time! Needless to say, I haven't been able to sleep since I was so excited.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

WOW! Congratulations! I bet you really can't wait to get there now. I too, vote for Biff's response. You would not want to offend them.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

How wonderful ! Getting connected to family we all dream about in one form or another. You must keep us updated on your journey.
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

When an Italian extends an invitation and contacts you like they have, they would be extremely offended if you didn't at least make an attempt to spend some time with them. An album would definitely be nice..but if you do plan to bring gifts, bring something well thought out. They are very sincere people, and they will offer all that they have to make you feel important..

Oh yea..don't eat for at least a week before you get there because you're going to be in for a treat.

Please, let us know about your trip when you get back. Enjoy!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Conti832 »

I'm going in The Fall,Writing to people in Pofi is what I will do as long as it's not bothering anybody.It will be fun.Glad you posted this.
Aquafur

Post by Aquafur »

That is wonderful news! Please let us know how your trip was.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Congrats,

You will be overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of your new found family. I have found that bringing small gifts with some connection to your home town or state is appreciated. I live in NJ and went to the Lennox factory to buy small pieces like Christmas ornaments. Also brought salt water taffy from the shore. I'm sure some little southwestern type gifts would be well received. Think small and unbreakable. They will love anything. It is the thought that counts.