Valente/Rossi from Villa Latina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
marie2261

Valente/Rossi from Villa Latina

Post by marie2261 »

My Great-Great Grandparents names were Marcus (or Marco) Valente and Elizabeth Rossi. Their son (my Great grandfather) was Domenico who immigrated to the USA in the early 1900's (haven't found a consistent date yet). I am wondering how I can find out if they had any other children? :)
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Valente/Rossi from Villa Latina

Post by ptimber »

You do not furnish any ages (s) or dates of arrival and since you know that he was born in Villa Latina whyh haven't you gone thru the possible Domenico Valente listed in the ellis island website for vitals???? You say nothing of what youi have done and talk about inconsistent dates ....of what pray tell?? The civil records for villa latina are on micorfilm for the years 1833 to 1865 which should cover the peirod of his birth or most that of his parents. Have you gone to the family history library of the Mormon church and research that aspect??? Please get back Peter
marie2261

Post by marie2261 »

I haven't been able to find the Domenico Valente I'm looking for in the Ellis Island records. The age or the year of arrival just isn't right when I do an advanced search using the name of the ship. I did however,
find his father Marco Valente who arrived in 1907.

I guess I just don't know where to start since I've now traced back to Italy. I will be visiting the Family history library as you suggested within the next couple of weeks.

I'm just so new at genealogy research, I'm still trying to find out all of the resources to use.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll let you know what I find.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you want to find out if there are other members of the family then going to the family history library is the second best thing to going there. Since you know that Marco Valente is the father and his year of birth (you must have the year from the records you can always ask for a certificato di famiglia storico from the Comune of Villa Latina's oufficio di stato civile which will have all chiuldrern inMarco's family born in Italy prioor to his arrival int he USA. If research is of interest to you then purchase the book Italian genealogical records by Trafford R. Cole ($35.00) and is an easy read. Peter
TinaB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TinaB »

Marie are you sure he went to America? Is there any chance he might have gone to Ireland?