declare in presence of 2 testimonies?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

declare in presence of 2 testimonies?

Post by denman922 »

I recieved a state of family doc. My GGGF and GGGM had thier first child after being married only 4 mos. On the doc is written:

because Georg Jakob Metz is married with the childs mother only since
february 23 1886, Metz declares in presence of 2 testimonies to be the
childs father.
( child was born in June of the same year)

what does that mean, what did he have to do to prove he was the father?
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: declare in presence of 2 testimonies?

Post by Poipuo4 »

I think this was a mistranslation and they meant in front of two witnesses. I don't know this for a fact, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in, but I think that he just needed two people as witnesses to his solemn oath that he was the father of the child in question. There was probably a presumption that if you were married to each other 9 months before the birth, you were the father.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

I have recieved a couple of certificate di stato di Familglia originario's and I found several ancestor's at the LDS site. on the certificates and at the LDS site, I notice that between 1850 and 1890, in Northern Italy (maybe everywhere, I dunno) my ancestors had brothers and sister that died at a rate of about 50% before making it to AGE 5! What was the deal?
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I was just reading a book called La Storia (it is in English) on the history of Italian Americans. It remarked that there was a lot of disease in Italy in the 1800s and turn of the century due to unclean drinking water in many inland towns. I don't know if that was an issue in your ancestral town, but that could be a cause of so much death. Also keep in mind no modern antibiotics, people living in close quarters, and the spread of infectious diseases.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia