Italian arranged marriage

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Topper
Rookie
Rookie

Italian arranged marriage

Post by Topper »

I have been trying to find out the correct terminology for an arranged marriage or a match marriage. The term I remember hearing as a child sounded like "bashada."
I don't know if this was a slang term that was used nor do i know the correct spelling. I have been unable to find it anywhere on the Italian Translator sites. The closest i got was the word "combaciare." Can anyone help me on this?
Topper
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Italian arranged marriage

Post by suanj »

the term is " a 'mbasciata" ( litterally: embassy, but really meaning request of to marry)...and is a dialectal word of south Italy, meaning the arranged marriage by parents or by marriage agent.... the a'mbasciata was made normally by groom parents and also by groom suggestion... after the first contacts by friends, or relatives, or in any case peoples knowing the bride and her family..... the groom parents sent the " a' mabsciata" to bride and her parents.... if it was a agreement
the bride parents accepted of to speak abt a probable wedding, (well and this was made before of a meeting between groom and bride) , for to speak abt the conditions, dowry, time, defects, virtues, etc... if after this was again the agreement, it was the "trasciuta"(dialectal word also meaning the entering/ to enter in the bride house), a first knowdlege before of engagement... in this "trasciuta" step all rules and conditions abt the marriage was specified with precision... pratically the groom with parents, siblings and other relatives went in the bride house for a presentation and for marriage arrangement....
after it was the engagement feast... after the engagement the groom it could attend the bride house, normally for the marriage was necessary almost a year... the time of marriage was respected by both families, and all was made by honor word, no papers, no documents, only honor word...

hoping helpful, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi suanj - My grandparents were from Molise and their marriage was arranged. My family referred to this marriage as a "masciade" or "musciade" - or at least that it what it sounded like to me. How would the term "a'mbasciata" have been pronounced in the molisani dialect? Thanks.
John Armellino
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I'm molisan.. I know what it is a 'mbasciata.... obviously the dialects are a bit different, but normally in Molise, Puglia, Campania regions and I believe also Basilicata region, the arranged marriage was called and it made by" 'mbasciata".... in molise's coast dialect the pronounce is" HMM-BA-SHA-TA".... when you write masciada/e it mean the housework/s .... so it is necessary to insert the "BA" for arranged marriage meaning.... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH