what do these words mean?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Casa28

what do these words mean?

Post by Casa28 »

I went to use the LDS to order film and so far I know what Nati, Morti etc..... but I am not sure what these are. What kind of information does it have. If anyone can help me, it will be great.

Allegati
Diversi
Memorandum
Cittadinanze
Pubblicazione

Would Cittadinanze be citizenship records?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: what do these words mean?

Post by nuccia »

Hi casa28..

Pubblicazione would be publication records..such as the Publication of Wedding Banns.

Diversi would mean various records..or diverse acts on that film. You could find several different records and in no order.

Heres a link that might describe the Allegati a bit..
http://books.google.com/books?id=HAuKMV ... QhneGkZtcE

Cittadinanze would be records of those who became citizens of that Comune if I'm not mistaken.

Memorandum-This always stumps me. I've seen it before but I've never ordered films with them before. I believe they would include important memorandums of some type. I'm sure someone can explain that one to both of us.

Hope this helps. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

May help, one of the many terrific
research guides from the FHC
Italian Reaearch Guide Genealogical Word List
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Hi. I have copied the explaination from this website:
http://www.newenglandancestors.org/ital ... 2_2001.asp
It should answer all your questions.

I. The Pubblicazioni records are marriage banns (announcements) that had to be published for several weeks before a marriage. In some towns they are the only surviving records relative to a marriage as the original marriage records have been lost or destroyed. They have a great deal of information on them.

II. Similarly, the Allegati are also records pertaining to a marriage. They are the documents a bride and groom had to bring to the town hall, such as their birth records, death records for any previous spouse or their parents, and so on. As you can imagine, they can hold a treasure chest of information on more than one generation of the family. However, they are not available for all towns and time periods.

III. Memorandum and Diversi refer to other documents that may be related to births, deaths, or other items. They are not indexed and difficult to read.

IV. Cittadinanza, which means “citizenship,â€
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Cathy..

I'm printing that out for my own records!

I just sent you an email! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

[quote="Cathynap"]

VI. Stato delle Anime is a church record very useful but not found too often. These were church surveys taken either yearly or every few years that recorded the people in a family living in the town, their names, age, birthplace and relationship to each other. They also recorded the sacraments people received during the year, which is why it is called the “Status of the Soulâ€
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Jim,

I didn't know this. I have looked through your site a million times and it never fails to amaze me. Absolutely spectacular!

Hugs
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Great reference Cathy!!! :)
Very helpful for those new to the search.......
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Casa28

Post by Casa28 »

Thank you for the information. Also I have another question. Few days ago I went to the FHC my first time to view the film. I was quite disappointed with the outcome. The film was not very good. All I saw was blur. It was so frustrating trying to adjust and play the machine. I barely can make out anything. Then finally I found something but couldn't make out one of the parents names. Anyhow I printed it out and it was worst. I had a couple of ppl there to help me get a clearer picture but nothing. So I chucked out the copies. The person working there got totally offended by that. I swear at one point I thought maybe I can't see very well, so I took it home. I showed it to 6 people and they all said the same thing.... "I can't see absolutely nothing". On top of that wanted to charge me for these 3 copies but they waived it off. There was more but enough with that.. my question is.... is that would it be faster if i obtain these records from Italy? I don't really look forward to going back there.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Oh..no wonder you said you had a terrible experience!

Sometime the films are bad..they may have water damage or something else that keeps them from being legible. I have one of those films too.

Not sure the requests to Italy would be faster..but at least you would be able to read them! Let us know what you need and we call point you in the right direction.

Another option, since you know which film number the record you want is on is to order the record directly from the LDS. If you don't have the link I can send it after work today.

I'll also reply to your PM then, too. :wink:

Smile..it will be ok!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database