Vincenzo Aluise - Maybe Mendicino, Consenza ??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Vincenzo Aluise - Castrovillari

Post by Staci4 »

Thank you all!!
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

I looked up his sister (Marie Aluise Santelli) and HER father is Pasquale and her birth/last place of residence is Cerisano, Italy. She married Guiseppe Santelli and moved to the US and then later her brother came and moved in with them, got married, had children and then moved his family to a new home (1920 & 1930 census for them :) ).

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... pl&indiv=1

So I think I need to write to the Cerisano town to get info for Vincenzo? Does this sound right?

NEVERMIND!! This is where Santelli is from and that is why she said she was from there. It is just a hop, skip and a jump from Mendicino which is where I (we, you all) said he could be from. According to his WWI Registration it looked like Ma(e)n(r)ticino (the letters in () are possibly what else it could be).

Anyways thank you!!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello this is the address of Cerisano civil record office

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Via San Pietro, 1
CAP 87044
Cerisano (CS)
Italy

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo :lol:
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Staci4 wrote:I looked up his sister (Marie Aluise Santelli) and HER father is Pasquale and her birth/last place of residence is Cerisano, Italy. She married Guiseppe Santelli and moved to the US and then later her brother came and moved in with them, got married, had children and then moved his family to a new home (1920 & 1930 census for them :) ).

So I think I need to write to the Cerisano town to get info for Vincenzo? Does this sound right?

NEVERMIND!! This is where Santelli is from and that is why she said she was from there. It is just a hop, skip and a jump from Mendicino which is where I (we, you all) said he could be from. According to his WWI Registration it looked like Ma(e)n(r)ticino (the letters in () are possibly what else it could be).

Anyways thank you!!
Mendicino? In Cosenza Province? I think some of my microfilms from Montalto Uffugo have Mendicino on them. My FHC is closed for vacation right now but if you tell me what years you are looking for I can have a peek at your surnames if I have the correct time frame and the microfilms I have on loan have those years. If all you want is Vincenzo's birth act it would be easier to write the comune. If you want more - Vincenzo's brothers and sisters, aunt and uncles, etc. try to get the microfilm. But if he was born in Mendicino and I have the correct year for Mendicino on my microfilm I can look for him for you when they reopen if you would like that. Post his birth year here and I'll look it up on the LDS site to see if I have the microfilm.
The address Riccardo gave you for your grandmother's comune will get you her birth act. If you write them as he suggests they will send you her birth act. If you need the address to request Vincenzo's birth act post it here and Riccardo can post Mendicino's address too.
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

Vincenzo Aluise - March 8, 1890 :) Thank you!! His Father was Pasquale and his sister was Maria. She married Guiseppe Santelli and they lived in Cerisano.

This is sooo great!

editted to add: I WANT IT ALL :D hehe
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

If what you state is true, good possibility that Giuseppe and Domenico are his brothers as well!

This is truly wonderful and I hope you get confirmation on all of this.

Have a great weekend!
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Stasi,
I'm not sure I have this microfilm. 1608136 is the LDS number and for Montalto Uffugo that would cover 1866-1869. If I ordered it I have not viewed it yet. I have 10-12 microfilms there so I'm just not sure. I will have to see - I have one film on backorder (it is delayed coming in to me) and this may be the one. Your town has birth records on this film from 1877-1900 on it. This should cover your grandfather, siblings and perhaps even some of his aunts and uncles. If you want it all order the microfilm, it takes 2-4 weeks to receive. When my FHL opens up after vacation I will look to see if I have this microfilm and if I do I will scan a copy of your grandfather's birth act for you and email it or post it here. My FHC reopens on Tuesday, July 16 or 17th...not sure of the date but that week. Another films I have that also covers Mendicino:
1642127 Marriage and death records 1907-1910
I think I PM'ed you my email. You may want to send me a reminder around the 15th so I don't forget.
:D
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

Essgee wrote:If what you state is true, good possibility that Giuseppe and Domenico are his brothers as well!

This is truly wonderful and I hope you get confirmation on all of this.

Have a great weekend!
We know for sure that Domenico was his brother and then Maria Aluise Santelli is his sister. Giuseppe Santelli was his brother in law (the Santelli's are from Cerisano) Aluise's are from Mendicino (Maybe, hehe).

This is so amazing!! Giuseppe Santelli's name changes to Joseph - 1920 & 1930 Census for Sharpsburg, PA (Which I see as happening if Vincenzo's can change to James :) )
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Essgee wrote:Nuccia.....

Looked at her other posts and he lived in Sharpsburg, PA. There are a couple of manifests for the year 1905 that could be him. According to the WWI reistration, his birth was not in Castrovillari. Looks like ...well I can't read it clearly. The manifest is under the spelling of Aloise.

Now, the 1920 census states he arrived 1906, the 1930 states he arrived 1907. He is naturalized by 1930, but he an alien in 1920 so he had to apply between 1923 and 1930. The declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturaization, and actual granting of citizenship should

It also means that his wife, Mary, lost her natural born citizenship when she married him. She would have remained an alien unless she applied for a change in her status after he became a citizen. Something where paperwork might exist as well.

Now, off on a limb, his first son is Pasquale. There is a Pasquale, age 63, headed to Sharpsburg to son Domenico. With Pasquale is another son, Giuseppe. They are from Cerisano. Maybe this is the father?

Vincenzo's WWI record...immpossible for me to make out place of birth other then Cosenza, Italy. Many of the name came from Marina Di Fiumefreddo Bruzio...looks like it starts with Mari...but the rest is not long enough for the remainder, unless it is abbreviated.

The naturalization papers should solve that probem.

Have a great one, Nuccia!
hi essgee the brother in law is Giuseppe LAURINO.. hoping helpful, kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

suanj wrote: hi essgee the brother in law is Giuseppe LAURINO.. hoping helpful, kisses, suanj
Giuseppe SANTELLI married Marie Aluise who is Sister to Vincenzo AND Domenico.

They did have other sisters. Do you mean that one of the others sisters married ANOTHER Giuseppe?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

staci, on the ship's manifest the surname is no Santelli... just my impression.... and what it mean I don't know.. sure in the ship's manifest no SANTELLI wrote...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The Giuseppe Laurino that Suanj is referring to is the Giuseppe listed on the original ship's manifest you mentioned. She is correct that the name is Laurino. Once you see it, it becomes clear.

However, the manifest is probably the WRONG manifest for your Vincenzo's arrival. Ignore it until you can prove this is the same Giuseppe. This man is going to Cuba, had been in Havana for a few years. I don't think this is the same Vincenzo as your relative.

For now, just place the info to the side. If this is indeed a brother-in-law, it could mean married to a sister. It could mean related to a brother...it has a more expansive meaning sometimes in the records. A "cousin" could be a first cousin or a 5th cousin 3 times removed or someone from the same village with the same last name........ Don't fret over this record.

Once you get the information from the Civil Records, a lot of this will fall into place. Remember, good genealogy research is about FACTS. You can only move on from facts.

Earlier this week, I finally found the "proof" I needed to get a ggggrandfather of mine, born in 1806, attached to his father and mother. I had the entire family, all the relatives he "should" have been related to, all the immigrant ancestors, where they came from in Europe....everything but the FACT I needed. I have been looking under every rock, behind every bush, in every record I could think of for over NINE years. Finally I asked the right question of the right person at the right time who had access to the right documentation to make it all come together. Without facts or proof, it is all speculation.

So get the records from Italy and see what you find!
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

suanj wrote:satci, on the ship's manifest the surname is no Santelli... just my impression.... and what it mean I don't know.. sure in the ship's manifest no SANTELLI wrote...

This is my Marie. Maybe we are are talking about 2 different people? hehe I am still trying to get my head on straight!

editted to add: I thought maybe we were. I was talking about MArie and Suanj about Guiseppe :) The 1910 manifest has been put to the side but not thrown away! (As if anything would get thrown away, We are a family of pack rats, hehe).

Thank you everyone again!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Staci,

Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to link the records in another way so that those who don't subscribe to ancestry can see it..

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
about Maria Aluise Santelli
Name: Maria Aluise Santelli
Arrival Date: 3 Apr 1912
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Cretic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Giuseppe Santelli
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Cerisano, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 175

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006. Original data:

Manifest

Hugs! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Thanks Nuccia!!! :D