Porto and Rich Families

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jaysweet

Porto and Rich Families

Post by jaysweet »

This is my family - from Catskill NY - who needs info on them?
elutz

Re: Porto and Rich Families

Post by elutz »

My maiden name is Porto my father George had cousins in the Catskill area, the only name I remember him mentioning is "Louie Porto" any relation. My grandfather was Frank grandmother Aqualena, came from Cosenza Italy around 1918, settled in the Bronx
jaysweet

Post by jaysweet »

Hi, Louie Porto was my father Thomas Porto's brother. They are both deceased now. My Dad died 4yrs ago. If there is anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jamie
ps: they were both from Catskill, New York.
elutz

Post by elutz »

So that would make you my cousin! This is my first attemp at searching and boy did I get lucky. What was your grandfathers name, and also do you know if other than my grandfather where there other siblings, and where they came from in Italy? I am just starting this process any and all information you could provide on the Porto side would be helpful. If you wish to have the basic information on my fathers family that I do have please let me know.
jaysweet

Post by jaysweet »

I can tell you all about the Porto's and Rich's from the Catskill area. Let me explain, Thomas (Louie's brother) was my STEPfather, but he was the only father I've known for the past 34 yrs. My Mom married him when I was 17.
So I don't refer to him as anything but my FATHER. So from he & Louie's generation DOWN, I can tell you anything you want. There are 3 siblings still living out of my Dad's and Louie's 11 brothers and sisters, and they are still in Catskill NY. Brother Charlie, sisters Anna and Tessie. I can always call one of them with any questions you may have, I'd be happy to help. And...nice meeeting you!
:)
elutz

Post by elutz »

I believe I read in another post that Thomas's fathers name was Frank? Which would very possibly mean that my grandfather and Thomas father were cousins and not brothers as I first believed as my grandfathers name was also Frank(Frances). From stories my father and Louie were close and although they lived far away in distance, (we lived in NJ till 1974 then my dad took a transfer with the army to Upstate NY, Seneca Falls to be exact)they stayed in contact via letters and rare visits when my dad would visit my cousin Jag(Johnnie Stafferi, Josephine Porto Stafferis son) and Uncle Mario Porto who now both reside in the Fishkill area.
I would be interested to know how your grandfather and my grandfather were related and possibly where in Italy they came from. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
jaysweet

Post by jaysweet »

I checked with Anna (Dad's sister) today and she said that her fathers name was Frank, but her Mother's namewas Clara Missassi. (Not Aqualena). She doesnt remember anyone living in the Bronx, and Mario Porto didn't sound familiar to her. Also she said she never heard of the name Staffaris. She said most of them originated from Canada.
elutz

Post by elutz »

There must have been another Louie Porto living in the Catskill area then, too bad I thought I had stumbled onto something, thanks for the information.