What is this in the Baptismal volume from 1880's Tyrol.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

What is this in the Baptismal volume from 1880's Tyrol.

Post by denman922 »

This is a page from the baptismal volume containing my GGF.

He is on line 2 " Froner". Underneath that is his first and middle names:

Alessandro Adriano. Under that is what I am interested in. Underneath all the given names in the volume, something is written. For Alessandro it looks like: Lev. Lucti ?

What is that?

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8459 ... aptpn1.png
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: What is this in the Baptismal volume from 1880's Ty

Post by JamesBianco »

The image is kind of small, can you enlarge it? Oh and the link is off if you click on the picture... here is the actual link:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/2921 ... aptxu5.png
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

Here is a blow up of that section

By denman922 at 2007-07-24
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Hi denman992!

I wish I could answer your question. Instead can you answer mine? How did you get the image? Is it from FHC? Did you print the microfilm? Or photograph it?

Many thanks, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

The page in the first post is from microfilm. At my local FHC, they have a microfilm reader slaved to a PC. I copied all the pages that contained ancestors or relatives of mine, born or married in Levico Terme, Trento, Austria ( Italy today ) to a CD.

The columns from left to right are

1) No. della Casa I think this means number of children in the home? however, written in this column and the left margin is the death date, if the individual died in the parish.

2) Above columns 2 and 3 are the year. Below that is the month and day of birth. Next to that is the time of birth ( why they felt this was important back then, I do not know)

3) date of Baptism

4) the surname written LARGE and the given name and christian name under that. Below the names is someting written I have not yet figured out ( the reason for the topic )

5) Religion: catholic or protestant with a number. I guess they kept track of the number of catholic and the number of protestant births

6) Male or female , numbered also

7) legitimate or illegetimate, numbered also

8) Genitori For padre: the name of the father AND his parents.
for madre: the name of the mother and HER parents
VERY VERY HELPFUL

9) the ministers name

10) the godparents

11) condizione ( I don't know what is supposed to be written here)

Interesting to look at the dates of birth and baptism. Often, children were baptized the same day the were born or the very next day if born after a certain time. I guess this was because of the high infant mortality rate of the time. This was because of the belief that an unbaptised soul would go to Limbo.

I am very glad to have gone to the FHC and ordered the microfilm. I have several others to look at. If anyone has any questions about this just ask.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Lev. Luchi could be the surname of midwife( levatrice LUCHI; Levatrice= midwife)
just a suggestion, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

suanj wrote:Lev. Luchi could be the surname of midwife( levatrice LUCHI; Levatrice= midwife)
just a suggestion, regards, suanj
Luchi is a tipical last name of Valsugana area, I know that because I live in Trentino,
ciao Riccardo
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Dear denman922,

I think Suan J might be right. If you look at the surname below your Froner (Galler?) there is a Lev. Mos...(can't really read it). In other words a different midwife.

I am having trouble because none of the FHCs in my area have a microfilm reader slaved to a PC so that microfilm images can be written directly to a CD. Thanks to you, I now know better how to describe what I'm looking for. My experience at FHC has also been very positive.

Many thanks for such an interesting post. Peggy M
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

I will concur with the midwife theory. a few lines down you see

LEV Moschen A common surname in that area at that time ( and an ancestor of mine also).

I'm not sure what the "peripheral device" actually is, but, I think a specific type of microfilm reader is needed for slaving to PC. I think these are unfortunately expensive.

I have visited Catholic churches here in America and had them just put the Volume on the copier. Then, I took the copies home and scanned them in to my PC with very good results.

So, there are microfilm readers that you can print from and the FHC near you should have one of those at least.

If anyone reading this topic/post is interested in ordering film from an FHC, and is unfamiliar with how to do it and what is available let me know and I will provide details. It is relatively easy and definetly woth the time.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Hi denman922,

The problem with my closest FHC is that the microfilm printer does an absolutely terrible job printing. I have mentioned this problem, but the lady in charge doesn't seem able to do anything about it. I visited another FHC a bit further away. Although the physical setup is more crowded, the folks in charge seem much more knowledgeable.

So, I will order some microfilms there & see how it goes. You are right that I should be able to print a decent enough image to then scan, but so far that hasn't happened. Overall, however, the FHCs deserve a lot of praise.

Many thanks, Peggy M
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hello Dennis,

Let me know a good time to call. I'd like to check with you to see the next time you'll be going to the local FHC. If you don't mind, I'd like to tag along to get some pointers from you before I order any films.

Best,
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sal »

Dennis -- condizione generally means economic or other status of a person, sometimes an occupation is listed. For example, many times you will see "villico" (villager), "cont" or "contadino", which can be translated as farmer, peasant, or similar.

Sal
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

I am very interested in the information on the baptismal volume ,particularly the lev Luchi. my g.great grand mother was Santa or Santu Luchi from Trento,Tirolo. She was married to Giovanni Cristina. Their son Giovanni Francesco Cristina came to New Zealand in 1868ish. I have been searching for comune of the family for some time now.Can you please tell me all you know about Levico Terme and are there any Cristina or Luchi baptisms on the volume you have.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

I got the info from microfilm I ordered at the local FHC library. This particular film contains the Baptisms from 1816 to 1923.

I did not see any Cristina's but I did see Luchi perform as a midwife on several other births.

I only have copies of the pages of baptisms of my grandmothers father, and her stepfather. And thier brothers and sisters. about 16 in all. Each of them were 1 of 8 children.

Each page ususally shows about 8 baptismal acts.

The microfilm is at the library here in Florida, but will soon be sent back to Utah.

Levico Terme has thier own website at:

www.comune.levico-terme.tn.it

They also have a wikipedia article at:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levico_Terme
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sal »

Dennis,
At most of the Family History Centers, you can renew the microfilm loan. I believe after the second renewal it is kept permanently at the FHC and not sent back. At least that is the way it is at my local FHC.
Sal