Just getting started...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
craigricci

Re: Just getting started...

Post by craigricci »

Thanks for the link Nuccia. And great find VJ... I'm amazed.

So is this all the information that was included on the census back in 1930? If so... they sure have come a long way since then, haven't they?

I'm going to look back at Ellis Island to see if I can find something about Domenico or Pasquale based on this new information.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

craigricci wrote: My grandmother came over in 1920. I have found her ship manifest on Ellis Island... it reads:

irst Name: Esterina
Last Name: Giammarco
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Introdaqua, Acquila
Date of Arrival: Sep 15, 1920
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Olympic
Port of Departure: Cherbourg, France
Manifest Line Number: 0013

Although it indicates she was single, the manifest also states she was met by her "husband - Domenico Ricci, 125 Dante Place, Buffalo" On the back, it states as her nearest relative in country from whence she came as, "Peligiari Giammarco - Aquila, Introdaqua, Italy"
=Craig.
Hi Craig,

Per the manifest you mention above, Peligiari Giammarco is stated to be the brother of Esterina. That is a great clue when researching information.

Also, the Family History Center does have microfilm for the town of Introdacqua, L’Aquila, Abruzzi, Italy. However it is limited from 1809-1865. Here is the link for the film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

For any record after 1865, you'll have to write to the town itself. Here is the address where to write.

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Introdacqua
Piazza Cavour, 11
67030 Introdacqua AQ
ITALY

Here is a link that will help you translate your letter into Italian.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Here is the official website for the town.
http://www.comuneintrodacqua.com/

Here are a couple of listings for Marriage Records for NYC.

Name - date of marriage -County - Certificate # - Soundex

Ricci Domenico Sep 21 1920 Manhattan 28394 R200
Ricci Domenico Oct 14 1934 Bronx 8609 R200
Ricci Domenico Apr 9 1923 Manhattan 14811 R200

If your family stayed in Buffalo, there is a good chance that Domenico was naturalized there. Here is a link about Buffalo's records.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyerie/erech.htm

Here is where to write for death records. The Death Certificates could have clues on there such as dates of birth, place of burial, parents' names, etc.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/death.htm

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
stephan

Post by stephan »

Craig..I have compiled a database of Introdacqua going back to the early 1800's and I myself have Giammarco and Ricci in my family. Do you know of any of your ancestors beyound your granparents ?

Fabio
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

wldspirit:

i tried those lonks but they do not work. is there another location? do you know what type of informaiton is required to do a generic search based on name , hometown only? i have been trying to find out whether my great-grandfather was ever naturalized but cannot determine in what location. i have tried the counties where he lived at the 1910 and 1920 census periods but they do not have records of his naturalization. i have hit a brick wall in this effort.

thank you.

tom
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There was a re - design of the website in October.....I need to go thru it to locate the info and forms........will post the new links as soon as I find them........
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I don't like the new site at all....here is a link to the freedom of information form:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... f3d6a1RCRD

still trying to locate the history information........
wldspirit
rorosmom7

Post by rorosmom7 »

I was wondering if someone could help me out? My Great Grandfather came to the US in 1906 and we can not find any records on him before that. My grandmother (his daughter) is still living, so I was tring to help her out. His name is Agazio Bressio (not sure of the spelling on the last name). When he came to the States they changed his name to Charles Holly Bush. We were told he was born in Guardavalle, Italy. But not for sure on that either. We can't find anything concrete on him before 1906. We believe his father's name was Pasquali Bressi and his mother's name was Teresa(may be spelled different). He had two brothers: Salvador and Dominique. And a sister who died but we have no name. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi rorosmom7,

Welcome to the group!

You may be better off to start a new post. Just click the new topic icon and make your request again and we'll see what we can do for you!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
rorosmom7

Post by rorosmom7 »

Thanks nuccia. I'm new at this!
alecgen

Introdacqua Info needed!

Post by alecgen »

Hi -

My gg-grandfather Domenico Susi married Emmanuela Cipriani in Pettorano Sul Gizio about 1874. I have found information regarding her ancestry in Pettorano Sul Gizio, but no record of Domenico Susi's birth in this town. I strongly suspect that he may have been born in neighboring Introdacqua circa 1850.

I know that Stephen has said he has catalogued Introdacqua information through the 19th Century. If it is not too much trouble, could you please take a look and see whether there is a mid-century Domenico Susi baptism?

From the Mormon site, I have found a Domenico Susi born in Introdacqua in 1816. This is a possible father of my Domenico.

Many thanks for any insight you might have into what has been a formidable brick wall for me!

Best,

Elizabeth
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Elizabeth,

I had a look at the LDS site and while you're waiting for someone to look up your request, why not write to the person who submitted the file to the LDS? They may have some additional info.

Also, I strongly suspect this was not his father as they did not allow father and son carry the same name unless the father was deceased at the time of the son's birth.

If anything, any only a possibility, the Domenico Susi could have been his grandfather or another relative (uncle).
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
alecgen

Post by alecgen »

Nuccia -

Wow, I had no idea about the conventions regarding naming. Thanks so much for telling me. This is very different from what I'm used to with German, Dutch, and English ancestors, where they seem invariably to name son after father.

This will be very helpful to me. I appreciate it!

Elizabeth