regions of italy

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

regions of italy

Post by jolynn »

hello all, can any one tell me about the regions of italy, were they the same in the 19th century or were they differant, if they changed ,what years did they change, in particular, the region of frosione, when was that formed, thankyou all, regards, john
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: regions of italy

Post by suanj »

yes they are changed in the time.... but I don't understand if you mean REGIONS or PROVINCES, because after you say FROSINONE that is a town capital also of FROSINONE province... Frosinone is province from 1927; before the Frosinone area and all Commons of this area was part of Caserta province...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello suanj, it states in my family history story that my great grandmother was born in cassino in the province of caserta in 1852, cassino is now in frosinone province and i wondered if it was in caserta when she was born in 1852, thanks, john
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sure, Cassino birth records are in Caserta State Archive:

STATO CIVILE( civil records
A t t i d e l l o s t a t o c i v i l e , regg. 9.832, fasci 2.154 e bb. 1.114 ( from 1809 to 1865).
San Germano (old name of Cassino)
http://www.maas.ccr.it/PDF/Caserta.pdf
best regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hi suanj, if i wrote to the caserta state archives would they have the birth records for cassino for 1852, i wrote to cassino for records for 1884 and they said they were lost in 1943/44 during the war, can you tell me the address in caserta in which to write too, best wishes, john
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Cassino was located in the province of Terra di Lavoro during the Kingdom of Naples and the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, including the year 1852. Before the unification, Southern Italy was divided, smallest to largest, into frazione, comune, circondario, distretto, provincia, and regione. I've done some research in Atina, which is in Frosinone today, but was in the district of Sora and province of Terra di Lavoro during the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. I’m not sure what district Cassino was in. As suanj pointed out, Cassino was formerly known as San Germano, but it had once been known as Cassino before the San Germano era (which I think started in 1734). It took the new but former name of Cassino in 1863. Your best bet would be to rent the microfilm of the Cassino records available worldwide at the Family History Centers of the LDS. The birth, marriage, and death records for the years 1809-1900 have been filmed. You should be able to find your family’s records and see first-hand the geopolitical evolution of Cassino. Go the www.familysearch.org then Library>FamilyHistoryLibraryCatalog>PlaceSearch and type in Cassino to see the film details. You can also find the nearest Family History Center at this site.
John Armellino
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jolynn wrote:hi suanj, if i wrote to the caserta state archives would they have the birth records for cassino for 1852, i wrote to cassino for records for 1884 and they said they were lost in 1943/44 during the war, can you tell me the address in caserta in which to write too, best wishes, john
john, writing in Caserta State Archive you can to obtain only the civil records from 1809 to 1865, but no helpfuls for italian citizenship; for the other records, following the 1865, you must to write in Frosinone state archive, because by LDS, we know that the civil records of Cassino are between Caserta and Frosinone State Archives:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
but always this civil records are only for knowdlege, and no helpful for italin citizenship; I believe that for you it is better to see the microfilms...
however here Caserta Archive address and email:
http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/ASCE/home.html

ditto for Frosinone:
http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... =FROSINONE
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello suanj and john, thankyou both for the help, when i said before that after writing to cassino for abirth record for1894 they said they had been destroyed in the war, are the records you refer too in caserta and frosinone, the originals and the ones held in cassino copies, if i go to our nearest church of the latter day saints research centre, will i be able to see or order the microfilms, thankyou both, regards, john
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi John

Records are kept at the municipal (comune) level. However, duplicate sets are sent to the provincial seat. It's my understanding that the LDS filmed the Italian records at the provincial level. Thus, the films might contain something that the comune does not have and vica versa. If you go to your nearest FHC, you will be able to order and view the microfilms of Cassino.
John Armellino