Translation help needed

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
koch13

Translation help needed

Post by koch13 »

I received these from a relative over the weekend. I assume these are newspaper clippings, but I'm not sure. I tried using an online translator, but it didn't understand most of the words. Can anyone help?? Thanks!

wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translation help needed

Post by wishyou »

Are two typical italian memory or death card.

The first one is in memory of
ANDREA CASTELAZ
from REZZANO
dead in Wels october 13, 1918, just twnty years old
Young men of beatiful expectations (it means he would a great future), consolation and pride of his old father, he died far from his country as a war victim
(in latin) Give him rest for ever o my God.

Note: it looks like he died as prisoner of war in Wels (Austria), just 20 days before the war end (november 4, 1918). By the cap he looks like to be of the Arditi army, assualt troops (such like marines) in which were enlisted only selected soldier, as they had to fight body to body in quick and violent attacks.

The other one
IN MEMORY OF
CASTELLAZ ANTONIO
from MEZZANO
who, after a life of work and sacrifice, 82 yeras old, left this tearfull valley, the november 28, 1935, supply with religious cerimony, and he left in pain the three daughters.

It is an "about" translation, but I think you'll understand
koch13

Post by koch13 »

Thanks for the translation!! At least I now know that the third daughter was still alive in 1935.

Any idea what TIP. B. MONTAGNA - PRIMIERO on the bottom of the first one means? Could it be a funeral home name?
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

No, just the editor of the card:
TIPOGRAFIA B. MONTAGNA - PRIMIERO
Printed by B. Montagna in Primiero (Primiero is a town)