What do Italians eat for breakfast?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

What do Italians eat for breakfast?

Post by peggymckee »

Hi!

I'm taking Italian; the class meets at 9 a.m. Next week we are going to have a party (at 9 a.m.!) to celebrate "October is Italian Heritage Month". I'd like to cook or bake something. Can anyone point me to a recipe for something that Italians might eat for breakfast?

BTW, bread is probably too complicated--unless it's a kind of bread that can be eaten without buttter, jam etc. I have a recipe for plain rolls (with egg and butter) that was handed down from my Italian GM--but I'm not sure if it's an Italian recipe. There is also a recipe for cinnamon rolls with nuts--is this Italian?

Many thanks, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: What do Italians eat for breakfast?

Post by Biff83 »

Hello Peggy,

Why not bake (or buy) some biscotti and serve them with a little black or brown coffee?

For me growing up, we always had Italian bread with butter or biscottti (homemade or gold old Stella D'Oro Anise flavored) dunked in a cup of coffee. When I lived in Rockland County and commuted to Queens, I took the Major Deegan to work and passed the Stella D'Oro bakery each day. When they were doing the Anise flavored biscotti, you could smell them a mile away.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

The cinnamon rolls with nuts is, at least in my neighborhood it was. My mom's were great but my aunt's were THE BEST!! What kind of nuts did your grandma use? The kids (us) didn't like the kind that were supposed to be used so my mom and aunt would use pecan halves and chop them up. The topping was wonderful and warm.

The other breakfast I loved was eggs sort of scrambled and mom would cook peppers and tomatoes in olive oil and then mix in with the eggs. She'd have homemade bread that was still warm and put the egg mixture on top of the bread.

Both were FANTASTIC!!!
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Hi all!

I used to drive past Stella Doro factory also--and you're right, the smell was wonderful.

As for cinnamon rolls, my GM used pecans & brown sugar & currants.

Has anyone heard of La Crostata? I think it's a desert, shortbread pastry spread with jam & baked.

Many thanks. Peg
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

When I was in Italy (which was at a hotel), we had more of dessert items for breakfast like sitcky buns, cookies, biscotti, even pasteries. There was some crusty bread and nutella spread, fruit, and yogurt. I think making biscotti is a good idea. Just make sure to use a chopping motion when cutting the loafs, instead of sawing like bread or it will crumble. I like to add toasted hazelnuts to mine and a splash of Frangelico, but you could jazz it up with toasted almonds and a splash of Amaretto.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by drovedo »

Biscotti does sound like good choice. (Although this was usually made for Christmas) My family didn't bake it twice. It turns out as a soft cookie. If you don't wish to make it totally from scratch I did notice some company that is **SPAM** a dry mix different flavors, just add eggs and water. If you want a recipe, I could send one. Just re read your post. I think that Italian chocolate spice cookies would be less time consuming to make. That company makes that as well. If you want recipe for that or pizzelles, wine biscuits, just ask. Some people also can't stomach the flavor of anise.

Side note: My nonno used to mix raw eggs with his morning coffee. (he claimed it was Italian.) He also would have a rice soup made with milk.

Other things I remember having for breakfast, egg and peppers, fried dough, mini pasta (made by pushing pasta dough through collander into water) served with butter,frittata, Bean Soup, Goulash, and Italian Pastries (for special occasions).

Totally, forgot Nutella on bread! That is a treat!
luvmynonnie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luvmynonnie »

Hi Peggy!
This entire thread is making me hungry! I remember potatoes and peppers and as far as the peppers...the *hotter* the better :wink:
My gramma used to call it *spoongene* Not the correct spelling but that's what it sounded like to my ears.
Also frittata but my dad's side called it something else...maybe it's different in a Sicilian dialect.
There always was something sweet. Vividly remember the homemade biscotti.
Good luck.
Lib
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

PeggyM Why oh Why did you post that Question? :x
Lib said 'This entire thread is making me hungry! '
That was an understatement, I'm 'drooling' at the thought of all those goodies.
Now you had all better start posting those recipes!!!!! :wink:
and if you do I'll put my diet on hold for a day or two :wink:
Emmy
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

My Noni would be very angry if I didn't tell you to eat your polenta for Breakfast!!!
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Up here in the Alpine region the breakfasts are not at all heavy....

First a nice large BOWL of caffè latte (espresso + hot milk) Image

Mocka coffee maker

The average Italian will then break dried toast bicuits (fette biscottate) into this or will dunk a nice fresh brioche (sweet croissant).

Here is a very easy recipe to make the sweet croissant....

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
Roll pastry out and cut into 6 rectangles. Cut each rectangle diagonally in half, to make 12 triangles.
Spoon a little jam/chocolate (Nutella) onto the centre of each triangle.
Roll each triangle in on itself from the middle, to make a croissant shape.

Cover an oven tray with greasproof paper and arrange croissants on top.
Brush each croissant with beaten egg yolk and a little milk to glaze.
Put in middle of oven and cook for 12 minutes.

Enjoy!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Pass the coffee! What great pictures! Is this the kind of pastry you are talking about in the recipe?

Pasta frolla.

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 egg and 1 yolk
The grated zest of a half a lemon or a quarter of an orange
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Now your talking my kinda language :lol: :lol: :lol:
RECIPES!! :D :D :D :D
Thank You
Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Now what do you think I've been busy doing? :D

I dont know what I expected :roll: :oops: when I started. At first I thought the finished goodies would be something like French pastries? :? because elba had said to put some jam or Nutella(Ihad already emptied that jar)in the middle, but when I had mixed up the 'dough' re Peggymckee recipe I had a feeling the finished thing would be more like a 'shortbread' I forgot to put in the orange/lemon zest :oops: and I thought I'd better only do half with the jam in the middle.
But I dont care if they dont look as they should they are just absolutely DELICIOUS

Emmy
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Dear Emmy--

I got the recipe from a website which said it was a traditional peasant dish--you put the rolled out pastry in a pie dish (or similar) and put jam on top and bake.

I've never actually tried it--so I'm really glad that you did and that it's good. I think I will make small jam or nutella filled pastries (shortbreads?) for the class party (as Elba describes) and also the chocolate spice cookies mentioned above--they have cloves & cinnamon.

All the best, Peggy M
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

See above post. Peg