Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Sirena
Elite
Elite
Posts: 250
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 00:00
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by Sirena »

It seems they moved around but stayed on Via Napoli.

the 1st image has them at #8
the 2nd N/A
the 3rd and 4th at #13
the 5th could be 22 o 23
and the last as you mentioned is 22
User avatar
carmela.dilalla
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by carmela.dilalla »

Dear Romeo,

I came across the Italian genealogy web site by pure chance this afternoon. What caught my attention was mention of the name
"Carmela Guastaferri " and the name of her adopted brother, Giuseppi Guastaferri who was the son of a priest.

My name is Carmela DiLalla and I am the granddaughter of Carmela Guastaferri, my father's mother. That makes your grandfather my "grand "uncle. We used to call him " Zio Peppino " and we loved him very much.

As you may well be aware by now, I don't have any information on the bloodline of your grandfather. My grandmother (his sister) said that her mother adopted him because she loved children and she had lost a few. She also said that he was born out of wedlock and was the son of a priest (not a bishop).

My grandmother told me she was from Campobasso and married my grandfather, Luigi diLalla, who lived in Casacalenda. She said they used to call her "Carmela a Campobashan". In those days, everyone seemed to have a nickname or "Cogniomme"

While in Casacalenda, my grandmother lived on Via Scipione de Blasio. That name is on the birth certificate of my father, her only son, Nicola DiLalla. He was her third and last child. Her first and second were both daugthers, Assunta and Guiseppina. My father was born on September 3, 1913 and was registered at the Commune in Casacalenda. My sister and I visited the town of Casacalenda and the city of Campobasso in 2001 to trace some of our ancestors. It was an awesome experience since we are second generation Italians from Montreal.

Enough about my family. I know you want information about your grandfather and as I mentioned above, I don't know anything about his real parents. However, I'm not sure if you had the privilege of meeting him personally, but if not, I want you to know that we all thought he was a wonderful and special man. We didn't see him often but when he did visit, it was always such a treat for me, my parents and my relatives. We used to see him at family weddings on the DiLalla side, or other special family gatherings when he was able to attend. He was a very articulate man and well read. He had a passion for opera and he knew everything about music, the composers and the operas. He had a great personality and always kept us riveted with his stories.

I was told that he had married a French Canadian lady and had four children..... Antonio, Armand, Romeo and Marianne. They used to call his wife " Mimi" but I didn't know her name until I read the chain of notes on this web site this afternoon. I'm assuming you know your grandmother and your aunts and uncles very well. In any case, that's all I know since I never met any of your relatives nor your grandmother.

I am attaching a very old family photo taken of the DiLalla family in the early 1940's or late 30"s. The photo was taken in front of my grandmother's house on 7216 Marquette Street in Montreal. I don't recall your grandfather living in that house. Perhaps he lived with my grandmother when she lived near Notre Dame de la Defessa on Dante street when she first came to Montreal from Italy. She later bought a triplex on Marquette Street where I grew up.

On the extreme right of the photo is your grandfather. His wife, Mimi, is supposed to be in the photo and I think she's the lady on the right too. Perhaps one of your uncles (or even your father) might be in the photo but I shall leave that up to you to find out.

I hope this information will be useful or, at the very least, interesting for you. If you have any questions at all, I would be very pleased to help out if I can.

Families and knowledge about our ancestors are very important to me and I applaud your efforts in pursuing information about your dear grandfather.

All my best to you. Take care, Romeo.


Carmela DiLalla


P.S. I'm having problems attaching the photo. I'll try one final time and, if it doesn't go through, you might have to send me your email id for me to forward personally.
User avatar
carmela.dilalla
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by carmela.dilalla »

carmela.dilalla wrote:Dear Romeo,

I came across the Italian genealogy web site by pure chance this afternoon. What caught my attention was mention of the name
"Carmela Guastaferri " and the name of her adopted brother, Giuseppi Guastaferri who was the son of a priest.

My name is Carmela DiLalla and I am the granddaughter of Carmela Guastaferri, my father's mother. That makes your grandfather my "grand "uncle. We used to call him " Zio Peppino " and we loved him very much.

As you may well be aware by now, I don't have any information on the bloodline of your grandfather. My grandmother (his sister) said that her mother adopted him because she loved children and she had lost a few. She also said that he was born out of wedlock and was the son of a priest (not a bishop).

My grandmother told me she was from Campobasso and married my grandfather, Luigi diLalla, who lived in Casacalenda. She said they used to call her "Carmela a Campobashan". In those days, everyone seemed to have a nickname or "Cogniomme"

While in Casacalenda, my grandmother lived on Via Scipione de Blasio. That name is on the birth certificate of my father, her only son, Nicola DiLalla. He was her third and last child. Her first and second were both daugthers, Assunta and Guiseppina. My father was born on September 3, 1913 and was registered at the Commune in Casacalenda. My sister and I visited the town of Casacalenda and the city of Campobasso in 2001 to trace some of our ancestors. It was an awesome experience since we are second generation Italians from Montreal.

Enough about my family. I know you want information about your grandfather and as I mentioned above, I don't know anything about his real parents. However, I'm not sure if you had the privilege of meeting him personally, but if not, I want you to know that we all thought he was a wonderful and special man. We didn't see him often but when he did visit, it was always such a treat for me, my parents and my relatives. We used to see him at family weddings on the DiLalla side, or other special family gatherings when he was able to attend. He was a very articulate man and well read. He had a passion for opera and he knew everything about music, the composers and the operas. He had a great personality and always kept us riveted with his stories.

I was told that he had married a French Canadian lady and had four children..... Antonio, Armand, Romeo and Marianne. They used to call his wife " Mimi" but I didn't know her name until I read the chain of notes on this web site this afternoon. I'm assuming you know your grandmother and your aunts and uncles very well. In any case, that's all I know since I never met any of your relatives nor your grandmother.

I am attaching a very old family photo taken of the DiLalla family in the early 1940's or late 30"s. The photo was taken in front of my grandmother's house on 7216 Marquette Street in Montreal. I don't recall your grandfather living in that house. Perhaps he lived with my grandmother when she lived near Notre Dame de la Defessa on Dante street when she first came to Montreal from Italy. She later bought a triplex on Marquette Street where I grew up.

On the extreme right of the photo is your grandfather. His wife, Mimi, is supposed to be in the photo and I think she's the lady on the right too. Perhaps one of your uncles (or even your father) might be in the photo but I shall leave that up to you to find out.

I hope this information will be useful or, at the very least, interesting for you. If you have any questions at all, I would be very pleased to help out if I can.

Families and knowledge about our ancestors are very important to me and I applaud your efforts in pursuing information about your dear grandfather.

All my best to you. Take care, Romeo.


Carmela DiLalla


P.S. I'm having problems attaching the photo. I'll try one final time and, if it doesn't go through, you might have to send me your email id for me to forward personally.
User avatar
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 73
Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: canada

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by littleapple »

Wow Carmela and Romeo this is some story. I love reading about this kind of connection. I had to laugh when I read the "campowashan" as I have heard that term many times with my family from Bonefro. I understand the sopranomes sometimes better than the real last names.
Good luck to both of you and if I come across anything in my research on Bonefro I will let you know. Cascalenda is so close.
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master
Posts: 697
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
Location: West New York (NJ)
Contact:

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by JohnArmellino »

My name is Carmela DiLalla and I am the granddaughter of Carmela Guastaferri...
Hi Carmela - What a wonderful posting! It must have warmed Romeo's heart. As you may have deduced from this topic, I am your 6C1R. Our common ancestors are Saverio Guastaferro and Anna Trotta (both born circa 1718). The Ahnentafel Chart on Page 2 of this topic is that of your grandmother and namesake Carmela Guastaferri. If you would like a complete chart with all sources, or a Pedigree Chart, send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will forward them. [Romeo, the same goes for you.]
John Armellino
User avatar
romeo.guastaferri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 18 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by romeo.guastaferri »

Hello Carmela !

What a surprise and pleasure to read from you ! Thank you for taking the time to write... I have been thinking about trying to contact some of Carmela's descendants to inform them of what I was able to find out in my research... I guess that won't be necessary :)

Did you see the Ahnentafel chart that John provided on page 2 of this topic ? Awesome ! (especially for you, since it is actually YOUR blood line...) Essgee also provides, in the very next posting, the names of your great grandparents (Luigi DiLalla's parents)... but you probably knew those names already...

I didn't know that all of Carmela's children were born in Italy. Do you know what year she move to Montreal ? I assume all of her children move here with her ?

It's great to hear about someone being able to confirm that my grandfather was really the son of a priest (you won't get THAT from the official documents...). Do you have any clue as to who his MOTHER was ? Since reading about him being "found" by Maria Rosa, I had doubts that this story was mabe not the WHOLE truth. If you know and I know that Giuseppe's real father was a priest, it means that his adoptive parents must have known something about his real parents. Do you, or anyone in your family have more information on this subject ?

Knowing that would be the icing on the cake, but the most important information for me, is what I've been able to gather until now (thanks to the help of all the wonderful people on this site). His adoptive family, after all, is the one who loved him enough to keep him and raise him.

Zio Peppino had not 4, but 5 children with Mimi : Yolande is the one you're missing. And Romeo is my father, as you probably know. Giuseppe's passion for opera probably explains my father's (and my) name. And yes, I have gotten to know my grandfather before he died in 1976 (I was 15 back then). We used to go visit him a couple of times a year (he lived in St Leonard, I think)

I would love to see that photo you talked about (the posting didn't work...). Can you send it to me ? romeo_guastaferri (@ hotmail.com) (hint hint, John...)

Thanks again !
Looking forward to hearing from you :)
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by Essgee »

I am overwhelmed at all that has been found....WOW. And now another link to your Peppino......

I have been to Dante Street and Maddonna de la Defessa. It was built by the Casacalendisi in commemoration of the church in Casacalenda of the same name where a miracle was to have taken place. It is almost as good as visiting Casacalenda!

Carmela........I do a lot of research in the records of Casacalenda. If you need info on your family, let me know. I have been in contact with a lot of DiLalla's over the years.

In that light, I have collected a number of photos from people who had relatives in Casacalenda and Ripabottoni. I would love to have a copy of that same photo, if possible. I hope you don't mind, but I feel close to many of the families I have looked up over the years. My family was Miozza and Trotta from Casacalenda...along with Tavone, Biello, Vincelli, and others. More from Ripabottoni as well. (hrw3@worldnet.att.net)

Thanks so much for the beautiful post.

Family is what it is all about.
User avatar
carmela.dilalla
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by carmela.dilalla »

Melina,

I have just forwarded you the email I sent of the photo to Romeo and John.

Thank you for offering information about my ancestors. You will see in my email to John that I am very interested in finding out about the ancestors of the DiLalla family. Can you help me get started ? I asked John the same question because I don't know who was responsible for putting together the Guastaferri chart.

Thank you again ...

Carmela
User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1207
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by BillieDeKid »

I have to tell you all, this has got to be one of the best threads in this forum, if not THE best!!!

I've followed it from the beginning and I'm thrilled for everyone. Just keeps getting better and better.

And you're right - it's all about family!!
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by Essgee »

Here is the Di Lalla line from Casacalenda that married into the Guastaferri line:

Luigi Di Lalla was born on 21 Jan 1876 to
Nicola Di Lalla , age 33 and his wife
Maria Giuseppa Sciscente

Nicola Di Lalla was born 26 Oct 1841 to
Vincenzo Di Lalla, age 36 and his wife
Ann Maria Di Salvio, age 36

Nicola married Maria Giuseppa Sciscente on
8 Feb 1873

Maria Giuseppa Sciscente was born on 13 Nov 1851 to
Luigi Sciscente, age 36 and his wife
Maria Felicia di Genova, age 33.
Maria Giuseppa died on 24 Jan 1893.
Nicola remarried on 7 Dec 1893 to Mariantonia Bartinomo.

Luigi Sciscente born about 1816 (haven't located the record as of yet) to
Francesco Sciscente and his wife
Teresa Giampaola (have to recheck this name)
Luigi died 4 Mar 1868, widow of Maria Felicia di Genova.

The name Sciscente is often Sciscento today.

I will attempt to post the records on line tomorrow. They are hard to read and I am going to try and clean them up a bit.

Have a great evening, ALL......
User avatar
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 73
Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: canada

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by littleapple »

Carmela, I did not receive the email you sent, could you try again to bonefro@shaw.ca
Thanks,
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.
User avatar
Atlantian
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 13:36

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by Atlantian »

I too per chance stumbled upon this sight! I saw the name Armanno...and well...I am an Armanno. My name is Amanda I live in Florida along with my father and mother. I have one brother who also lives here. One of my Aunt's is currently living here in Florida - but the rest are still in Italy. To be specific they live in Sicily! Palermo. I remember my father mentioning to me that my Grandfather had a brother that just disappeared - no one knows what happened to him. I'm actually curious as to see who's related to who now. If you guys want more info on the family just let me know and I'll give you as much info as I possibly can! Oh and I have a facebook account with old family photos if you guys want to check it out. Sometimes seeing faces mean more than just words typed in a blog.

Interesting to know there's a bunch of Armanno's out there!
annagustaferri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Oct 2011, 20:42

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by annagustaferri »

Hello Everyone.

My name is Anna Gustaferri, I am Romeo Guastaferri's great neice...he was my dad's uncle. I am sorry to tell you all that he passed away last week. I didn't get to see him much, usually only at funerals, and the odd family get together. If you noticed, my last name is spelled differently, my father dropped the first A. Reasons unknown, and don't think it was approved by his father.
User avatar
romeo.guastaferri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 18 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by romeo.guastaferri »

I would like to let everyone know that rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Anna is right when she says that Romeo Guastaferri passed away last September. Only, he was my dad. Not to be confused with the originator of this thread.

Peace and long live to all.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master
Posts: 697
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
Location: West New York (NJ)
Contact:

Re: Ancestors from Casacalenda : Guastaferri & Armanno

Post by JohnArmellino »

Romeo, my condolences on the loss of your father. However, I must confess that I'm happy to hear that you're still with us.
John Armellino
Post Reply