Piolari surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ns1664

Piolari surname

Post by ns1664 »

I was wondering if anyone had heard of an Italian surname "Piolari" or similar.

I have someone in my family tree called Catarina Polari, born in 'Italy' in c.1853 who married a Bertolmew Guatelli, but can find nothing at all about the surname. I suspect that the registrar has mis-spelt the name & wondered if anyone had any ideas of what the surname may have been. I suspect that Catarina was from the Bedonia area, near Genoa, and moved to Liverpool, England in the 1860s.

Hope some can help!

Many thanks
Neil
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Piolari surname

Post by mahart »

Hi Neil,
It wold help the forum if you submitted what records you do have concerining this name and dates, for e.g. what year and if you know what quarter they were married, if known, if you have picked them up on census's etc.

Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi Neil,
There is a Catarina Guatelli aged 17 married to Francesco aged 26 yrs living in Circus Street, which was in the Little Italy part of Liverpool, on the 1871 census, and they were recorded as being musicians. Does this sound like your Catarina?

Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
ns1664

Post by ns1664 »

Thanks Mark. Here is the chronology:

c1845 Catarina Piolari born, probably in Genoa area. Probably marries husband Bertolomew prior to migration in the 1860s

Between 1862 to 1867 - Bertolomew Guatelli & Catarina emigrate from Genoa area to Liverpool, together with Bertolmew's brother Francis

Feb 1871 - birth of daughter Terisa Guatelli in Liverpool. Father Bertolomew Guatelli, mother Catherine Guatelli, formerly Piolari (maybe Prolari, or Rolari). Other children with Bertolomew include Catherine (1873) and Paulo (1877) and Rosina (1883)

1871 Census - Surname Guatelli spelt as 'Guatelo'. Catherine is living in Circus St with Bertolomew, also in same lodging house is Bertolmew's brother Francis Guatelli and his (English-born) wife Catarina/ Catherine

1879 - living at 14 Circus Street at the time of death of daughter Catherine Terisa.

1881 Census - living at Fontenoy St Liverpool, with husband & 2 children. Bertholomew working as an ice cream dealer

1884 - Husband Bertolomew dies in Liverpool

1891 - not located

1901 - Living with daughter Rosina and her husband Thomas Barnes (surname mispelt as Gullal)

1907 - Catherine dies. Address was 24 Page Street Liverpool.

As there are two Catherine/ Catarina Guatelli's (ie Catherine & her sister-in-law) in the same streets at the same time, it is quite difficult to distinguish between the two for some events.

Hope this helps
Neil
ns1664

Post by ns1664 »

mahart wrote:Hi Neil,
There is a Catarina Guatelli aged 17 married to Francesco aged 26 yrs living in Circus Street, which was in the Little Italy part of Liverpool, on the 1871 census, and they were recorded as being musicians. Does this sound like your Catarina?

Mark
many thanks for looking Mark - I think that this is Catarina's sister in law, ie who was married to her husband's brother, Francesco. This was Catarina Guatelli nee Milsa. Catarina nee Polari and husband Bertolomew are listed on the same page, in the same lodging house. It's a bit complicated!

Best regards
Neil
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi,
it's only a little suggestion but, as I'm from the Liguria area I think possible the last name of Caterina could it be SOLARI....

Laura
ns1664

Post by ns1664 »

Thankyou Laura - that's entirely plausible. I know that the registrars and census enumerators in Liverpool struggled with spelling Italian surnames, so Solari is a possibility

I think I might see if I can order birth certificates for some of Catarina's other children & see how the maiden name is spelt on them

Thanks again
Neil
Daniela Polari

Post by Daniela Polari »

Well, is a old post, but I have Polari surname and I am looking for any information about my italian ancestor Antonio Polari, probably came from Lombardia.

Daniela Polari
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Daniela Polari wrote: 03 May 2020, 19:30 Well, is a old post, but I have Polari surname and I am looking for any information about my italian ancestor Antonio Polari, probably came from Lombardia.

Daniela Polari
When? Where?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Daniela Polari

Post by Daniela Polari »

I am looking for any information about my ggggrandfather ANTONIO POLARI in Italy.

When Antonio Polari arrived in Brazil, from Lombardy region, where we know there are some families still with that surname, he settled in Joao Pessoa (old Parayba do Norte City), capital of the State of Paraiba (PB).
He left Italy before the wave of immigration. I believe that took place around 1830, since his name was mentioned in Brazilian newspapers of 1837, regarding the struggle for the freedom of slaves.

Antonio lived with Alexandrina Cezar de Mello (1831-1895) and had 14 children, their first child being born in 1846 and the last one 1867, one of them my gggrandfather Adelino Cezar Polari.

No marriage record of Antonio and Alexandrina was found in the ecclesiastical archives of the State of ParaIba, and it is true that in the few records found of her children and Alexandrina's death record, it appears that she was single.

I must clarify that in the birth record of your daughter Anna, there is information that Antonio was from “Switzerland" and the birth record of your son Estolano, was “Italian”. My suspicion that he came from the Lombardy region, close to the Swiss border.

In the city of Parayba do Norte / PB, he worked in public works, together with his partner and friend Carlos Agostinho Golzio (married to Luzia Golzio), for the Empire of Brazil, which was well documented in newspapers at the time. He was mentioned in some master's / doctorate works in architecture, as one of the city's builders.

In 1884, Antonio disappeared from a ship coming from the city of Recife and, seven days after his disappearance, a mass was celebrated in his honor. On 9/1/1884 an investigation was opened, which was probably filed without results.

Many searches were made about some inventory, but we did not obtain results. Which was very strange because he was a man who owned properties, leaving many heirs.

Documents on the investigation of his disappearance were also not found.

Unfortunately, archives from the time and the region in which Antonio lived, here in Brazil, are not available, if they really exist. A lot of documents has been lost, which limits my researches.

What gives me some hope is that the surname Polari in Italy is not widespread, which could facilitate a research.

I appreciate any help available.

Daniela Polari