Which Certificates?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dematteo2

Which Certificates?

Post by dematteo2 »

I have read posts on other forums that somebody was able to receive Italian citizenship with a limited number of certificates. What I mean is, this person provided the birth, marriage, death and naturalization certificates for his bisnonno; the birth and marriage certificates for his nonno; the birth and marriage certificate for his father and finally his birth certificate. Since this person was eligible through a paternal line, he did not have to provide the birth and death certificates for his mother, nonna or bisnonna. Is there any truth to that? Has anybody else applied this way? I personally am eligible through that same paternal line and it would save me a couple dollars if I didn't have to get all of those other certificates...Thanks for the help!
Alberto De Matteo-->Mario De Matteo-->Albert De Matteo-->Me:D
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: Which Certificates?

Post by peggymckee »

The answer is: It depends on the Consulate. Many say that NY Consulate does not require documents from the "non-qualifying" line but I cannot confirm this from personal experience or knowledge. Logically, you have all you need, but often the Consulates make additional requirements.

Where are you applying? Can you ask them? All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I can confirm it. NY does not require documents from the non-qualifying line.
dematteo2

Post by dematteo2 »

I took a look at the Los Angeles consulate online (where I will be applying) and it requires certificates for both the paternal and maternal side. I'm going to call just to make sure. I just don't understand why the whole process isn't universal. I guess I'll just have to move to New York temporarily... :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It IS a good idea to call. Some consulates list every posibility on their websites, but actually do not make it an issue if you don't have documents from the non-qualifying line.
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

I was initially told that I needed all documents from the maternal side (Detroit Consulate) but they didn't ask for most of them at the appointment.