Agrusa/DiMaggio surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Joyj65

Agrusa/DiMaggio surnames

Post by Joyj65 »

I am looking for any information about my Sicilian heritage. My grandfather, Joseph Agrusa (12-24-1878), married my grandmother, Maria DiMaggio (5-01-1885), and gave birth to nine living children. Jim, Charlie, Helen, Simon, Mary, Lena, Tony, and my father Frank are those that I remember. The family settled in Detroit before coming to California and residing in Huntington Park.

Other surnames connected to me are Mazzola, Chirco, Tiritilli, Borgogna, Amato, Militello.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D
Joy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Joy In Italy all records are in the town of origin and in order to find it (You did not mention it so I presume you do not know) you cna go to the www.ellisisland.org website and find their entry information along with other vital data. once you have the information you can go to the nearest Family History Library of the Mormon church and request the microfilm of the civil records like birth,marriage and deaths for the town of origin and trace your family back. Sicily.like southern Italy has civil records going back to 1809. Prior to that you have to go to the churches in the town. If you wish you can write to the town for documents as well as make copies of the microfilm at the library. Please let me know if I can help further. Peter
Joyj65

Post by Joyj65 »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the information. I will take your advice and see what happens! It may be a real journey though, because Joseph and Maria are such common names. This is a great site and I hope I can help someone else sometime.

Joy
Sharpie

Post by Sharpie »

Hello,

I do find some images on Joseph and some of the children you mentioned.

1920 and 1930. Also, just a few more information on the name.

If I can help you let me know. I will give you the images. If you have them already please disregard this.

Sandra Lamolli
sharpie1@ptd.net
Joyj65

Post by Joyj65 »

Hi Sandra,

Images? How wonderful. Thank you, I would appreciate anything you might contribute!! How did you find images? I am new to this site.

Thanks,

Joy
Sharpie

Post by Sharpie »

Hi Joy,

Please email me at sharpie1@ptd.net. I will get the images for you tomorrow as I can't seem to read straight at this moment. HEHE!!!

I can't give you the images on this forum.

Glad I can help and I will get to it. Oh by the way what kind of connection do you have to access the internet? Dailup, Cable, ISDN, DSL? Please let me know because of the images. I will tell you how I access the image by email. Email me please.

Sandra Lamolli :)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Joy i sent you a private message and hope this helps things. Peter
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Agrusa/DiMaggio Surnames

Post by raymo »

As an aside, the DIMAGGIO surname in Sicily is often considered "Arberesh". They are the descendents of Albanians who settled in Sicily in the 1500s, especially in certain towns in Piana degli Albanesi, such as Monteiuso & Contessa Entellina . You may want to see the directory on www.leaptoad.com for more info on that topic.
Joyj65

Post by Joyj65 »

raymo,

Thank you for your input. I will look it up.

Joy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Joyce in Italy all records are in the town of origin and once you have the town of origin then you can review all civil records of births, marriages and deaths back to 1809 should they be available (most of the time they are available) At that time, when you have a family tree of sorts you can then concern yourself with other websites and town of origin history. Raymo is a bit premature in directing you to websites when you don't even have your family town of origin or surnames in place. Peter
Joyj65

Post by Joyj65 »

Hello Peter,

I appreciate ANY info I can get, and yes, I do need to find the town of origin. Hopefully, I will have one soon. It's all a process, you know?! :D

Thanks,

Joy
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Agrusa/DiMaggio Surnames

Post by raymo »

Hi Joy,

I re-read the leaptoad site I recommended to you yesterday. Some of the other surnames you're connected to are also indicated as being Arberesh in origin (Amato,Militello in particular) as well as Dimaggio. But Peter is right, finding your family's town of origin first will best direct you to your particular roots.
Joyj65

Post by Joyj65 »

raymo...

Thanks again. Yes, I am trying to find the towns of origin right now. Hopefully, I will find them soon. Thanks for your time and energy!

Joy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi this website is interesting perhaps for you .... :roll: : http://www.teleweb.net/bdemagg1/Family.html
Agrusa and Di Maggio families...coming from Cinisi and Terrasini (exact spelling) towns(Palermo-Sicily)..Perhaps it is yours this website ??? :roll:
More: in other your message http://www.caropepe.com/italy/guestbook/guestbook.html , declared that Maria Di Maggio she is cousins of Joe Di Maggio (coming from Isola delle Femmine-Palermo province- Sicily) ...suggestions???

More this surnames(Agrusa, Di Maggio, Mazzola, Borgogna, Tiritilli, Chirco) are tipically of Cinisi, Balestrate, Terrasini, Marsala, Palermo area...I not found records for Joseph and Maria on ellis island, probable this surname are misspelled for transcription, hoping in future...

regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: Di Maggio and Mazzola are present in Isola delle Femmine(Palermo province) please visite this URL
http://giamona.com/surnames.htm
regards, suanj