Lee's vs. DC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Luca722
Rookie
Rookie

Lee's vs. DC

Post by Luca722 »

Does anyone know if it hurts to send FOIA Naturalization requests to both DC AND Lee's Summit? :?:
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Lee's vs. DC

Post by Poipuo4 »

I don't think it would hurt, per se, but I also don't think it would help to file a duplicate request. I believe both requests would be consolidated and sent to Lee's. The reason I say this is that I sent two FOIA requests to Lee's regarding the same ancestor, but requesting different docs. Both requests were consolidated. It took about 10 months to get a response and all they found was an index card. :(

If another poster knows for sure, I am open to other opinions on this.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Luca: I had a similar experience to Poipuo4's. Send the request to Lee's Summit. It will take 4-6 weeks to get back a tracking #.

Poipuo4: And the index card gave you no new leads?

All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I will have to scan it. All I get from it is my ggm's name, her year of birth and that she was from Italy, LOL! There are some numbers on the card that I am not sure of. Maybe that is a lead. One thing I was hoping for was her enemy alien registration file because she was living in NY during WWII and was an Italian citizen. Perhaps she never registered.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Luca722
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luca722 »

Thanks guys.

I sent the letter to Lee and to DC. Do you think I should contact Lee telling them this to prevent confusion?

Also, I sent copies of NARA records (Arrival, Intention, Petition & Oath) in hopes it will speed up the process. I asked for them to send certified documentation that my GGF became a citizen. What should I expect back from them?
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

Have all records requests been moved to Lee's Summit? A few years ago, you would send a letter to one floor at USCIS in DC for a copy of your ancestor's immigration file and a different floor for a "no record" letter. Is everything done through Lee's Summit now?