Parish Records from San Mauro Forte

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Albany1
Rookie
Rookie

Parish Records from San Mauro Forte

Post by Albany1 »

I have sent 2 letters over the past 5 months to the pastor of the parish church at San Mauro Forte, BA. He has not responded to either inquiry. I also visited the town in october after advising him the day I was coming and the church was closed! I'm not sure how to get teh church records that I am looking for. The town official gave me some information but I really would like to find out about baptismal and marriage certificates. Does anyone have any ideas about how to proceed? I did send a donation to cover the expenses ( in euros) but maybe it wasn't enough? :(
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Parish Records from San Mauro Forte

Post by misbris »

The Mormon Church has the civil records for San Mauro Forte. This includes the marriage records if there was a civil ceremony. Here is the link.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Someone else here probably can better advise you as to how to get church records.
Albany1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Albany1 »

thanks - I will follow up on that lead.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

You are very welcome. If you need any other help, feel free to ask.

You have to go in person to the FHC to order the micrfilm. It costs approximately $6. per roll and takes 3 to 4 weeks for it to be delivered. Hours at the Family History Centers are usually limited because the staff is made up of volunteers.

Good luck,

Mary Jo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Albany 1 since you want to find out about baptismal and marriage records in San mauro Forte and you were already there, then maybe you should contact Reverend (SC) Giuseppe Filardi in nearby Tricarico at the church Maria SS. delle Grazie Parish either by mail or telephone him at 0835-677058 which is also his fax number. This may be one of those closed churches with a circuit priest (Father Filardi?) or none at all and the letters are just being re-routed somewhere. Perhaps even getting in touch with the Mayor might also help. =Peter=
Albany1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Albany1 »

Peter - thanks for this information. I ahd addressed my letters to Monsignor Venere since he was listed as the pastor of the church of San maria Assunte in San Mauro Forte but maybe he isn't the pastor anymore. You have given me a good lead. Grazie. Mary
maple62
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maple62 »

Hi Mary,

Did you try contacting the Mayor? (Il Sindaco Sig. Diluca). I've been told that the only way to get permission to church records is through him.

Good luck!

Michael
maple62
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maple62 »

Hi Mary,

Did you try contacting the Mayor? (Il Sindaco Sig. Diluca). I've been told that the only way to get permission to church records is through him.

Good luck!

Michael
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Most of the priests I have been in contact with are not interested in, and don't have time for, our passion with genealogical research.
I would write to the Mayor asking if he can put you in touch with a local person who can do this research for you on a paid basis. Most towns have a Pro loco that would have these kinds of contacts. Include an self addressed envelope.
When you go to a town and find the church closed stop at the closest bar and ask who has the key. They usually know! That doesn't get you a look at the records as the priest is the only one who has that key but from there you can ask for the priest's cell number and arrange to meet him at HIS convenience.
Good Luck.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Albany1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Albany1 »

thanks for your help. I did visit with the town clerk and he gave me some documents which at least helped a little with my Bisaccia relatives. I will try to find the name of the Mayor of that town (it's quite small) and contact him. mary
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I had hoped you would have some information from the Tricarico parish as i suggested but no matter the Mayor's full name is FRANCESCO DI LUCA, SINDACO (mayor). =Peter=
Albany1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Albany1 »

thanks I missed the name in your earlier emails. I also will contact the Tricarico parish as well. Mary
Albany1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Albany1 »

thanks I missed the name in your earlier emails. I also will contact the Tricarico parish as well. Mary
maple62
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maple62 »

Mary,

Just a few more details for you....

Sindaco:Francesco DI LUCA

Indirizzo Municipio:
Via P.Marsilio 75010 S.Mauro Forte
Tel. 0835/674358
Fax 0835/674288

Good luck.

Michael
Albany1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Albany1 »

Michael - Good to hear from you again. I remember we corresponded before I went to Italy last fall. I had an excellent trip to San Mauro Forte this past October. Although I didn't get to see the church nor speak to the parish priest, I was able to find the house where my grandfather was born and grew up. I took many pictures of the village - it's high in the mountains, and although not poverty stricken, it's not a prosperous place. We arrived at noon time and walked around deserted streets. No people about anywhere except for a curious old man and a few older women who saw us and went right back inside their houses. After seeing the village, I realize why my ancestors made the trip to America. It's a beautiful setting but there is very little work.