How long for Cetificate of Nonexistence of Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kilarney

How long for Cetificate of Nonexistence of Naturalization

Post by kilarney »

I have always been told that my ancestor became a U.S. citizen. I even have his application for naturalization. Accordingly, we made a FOIA request for his naturalization records.

Low and behold... 13 months later... I find out that he was never naturalized. We got an alien registration card from 1951, a full 9 years after his petition. He died in 1952.

So... I sent away for the Certificate of Nonexistence of Naturalization Records as required by the consulate. The good news is that this goes to a different address. (It's in DC, not MO).

Can anyone tell me how long these requests tend to take to be fulfilled? I felt like I got kicked in the gut after waiting 13 months already. Sadly, the consulate will not accept the alien registration forms - even though they clearly establish a blood line.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: How long for Cetificate of Nonexistence of Naturalizatio

Post by peggymckee »

The last part of this post gives one person's experience of a time frame.
http://www.icgsmb.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2245
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: How long for Cetificate of Nonexistence of Naturalizatio

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Kilarney I do not know how long it will take but you might want to consider calling up your congressmans office and and ask them to let you know how long you have to wait for a response. You are a constituent of his office and expect representation.=Peter=