Last names Diangelo or Dangelo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Last names Diangelo or Dangelo

Post by ChrisMosca »

From what i was told my my sister in law's mother the last name was Diangelo
but I've been finding on the census records that her last name is being spelled
Dangelo the birth dates match so i know its the same person, is this a common miss spelled last name?
thanks again.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Last names Diangelo or Dangelo

Post by nuccia »

Yes, its common. There are so many mis spellings of people's surnames in general that you'll see many variations.

D'angelo may be another. Don't rule anything out...and make sure you have other sources to back your findings up.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

thanks!!!!
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The name is D'Angelo. It is abbreviated from di Angelo. Those names in Italy that carry the prefix di....are usually changed to d' when the name begins with a vowel.

My family name of di Palma became Dipalma...in the early records the name is Palma with the di in parentheses" Palma (di). The name of Onofrio (di) becomes not diOnofrio, but rather D'Onofrio. But both are pronounced the same way...d' is di in pronunciation.

As you can see, misspelling is really an incorrect term. Rather it is the pronunciation dictating the spelling and not accounting for the contraction that occurs before the name beginning with a vowel.

Hope this makes sense.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Great advice from essgee!

I ALWAYS learn something new from her posts!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

It makes sence now, why I kept finding stuff as dangelo rather then diangelo. thanks.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Essgee wrote:...The name of Onofrio (di) becomes not diOnofrio, but rather D'Onofrio. But both are pronounced the same way...d' is di in pronunciation...
I tend to disagree: D'Onofrio is pronounced Donofrio, not Di Onofrio :evil:
joyceperrino

Post by joyceperrino »

D'Angelo is a common name in the Commune of Molise..Located about 15 km north of Campobasso.. My great uncles son Nicola Perrino married a Christina D'Angelo.. Both from comune of Molise.. Records are available from LDS church.. and it is spelled D'Angelo in the church records...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

joyceperrino wrote:D'Angelo is a common name in the Commune of Molise..Located about 15 km north of Campobasso.. My great uncles son Nicola Perrino married a Christina D'Angelo.. Both from comune of Molise.. Records are available from LDS church.. and it is spelled D'Angelo in the church records...
D'Angelo is very common all over Italy, there are several thousands...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Livio I owe you an apology. I was under the impression that you were a "veteran" thinking that you were an expatriate American living in Rome and would readily know what I was talking about. I just glanced at all these cartoon characters with stars on the side of the postings shrugging them off as background silliness and only came to view your "veteran" status because you did not understand what I was talking about.

But now I know the significance of these caricatures alongside individual postings.

I hope you can understand and accept my apologies. Buon Natale e buon capo d'anno (danno). =Peter=
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Thanks Livio.....tended to believe that D'Onofrio was pronounced as Dinofrio...

But the spelling is the point I was really attempting to explain...how we overlook the apostrophe and why it is used instead of Di.

Thanks for the input. I will change my pronounciation...

Have a great one!
biarlo

Post by biarlo »

Dear
In my town, S. Vito Italy there are many families "d'Angelo". This last name is called in italian "patronimico" that means from latin "pater" "name" so a last name coming from the ancestor whose name was "Angelo". The "di" or "d'" or "de" before is a possessive case meaning "son of Angelo" like "Johnson", or "Jackson" and so on. When the old emigrated came in America they hadn't or lost documents and their registration was made in oral way so you can fin this form "dangelo" or "diangelo".
Best regards Antonio
nickd63

Post by nickd63 »

I too am researching the D'Angelo last name from Abruzzo.

My parents emigrated to Canada from Pretoro, Chieti and we live in Ottawa. In fact, there are probably more Pretorese living in Ottawa than in Pretoro.

I am searching for D'Angelo, Liberatore, Perseo and Disipio.

My contact is nickd - at - sympatico.ca
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

The D'angelo I'm searching arrived to america on 3 apr 1888 on his passangers manifest it only shows as italy being his place of birth. His name was Filippo D'angelo or later changed to philip. He came to milwaukee wisconsin and in the 1900 census record it shows his birth month and year but no date.
adangel1

Post by adangel1 »

If this helps, my family comes from the comune of Civita, province of Cosenza, Calabria. I just found this out from members of this site.

My relatives moved to Pennsylvania in the late 1800s and then some moved to New York in the early 1900s.

Our last name is D'Angelo but I saw it spelled Dangelo, D.Angelo and such.