Spolidoro Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Raylen

Spolidoro Family

Post by Raylen »

Hello everyone,
First time here so let me know if I'm not doing things the right way...but be gentle with me please :)

I'm looking for help/advice on how to find out more information on
Giovannia Spolidoro born c1862 and his wife Caterina Destifano (various spellings) born c 1858.
They had a daughter Nancy/Nunzia born c1889 in Italy and then all came to Australia, arriving sometime before 1897.
Giovannia's Father - Pasquale Spolidoro. Mother - Nunzia Lombari
Caterina's Father - Francesco Destifano. Mother - Teresa Sammartino.
I have no positive birth place but think they spent time in Basilicata and possibly lived in Vigano (not sure of correct spelling)
I'm hoping some can help me find birth date and place of Nancy/Nunzia, when they left Italy and where the parents were born/lived please.

Thank you so much for any help
Raylen
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Spolidoro Family

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Raylen lists for passenger lists inwards from 1865 onarriving at various ports in OZ are on microfilm in Canberra.

If you either call (02) 6212 3900 or email refact@gov.au and ask the reference staff for their guidance in finding your records as well as others. This will be hepful since earlier passenger records for OZ are generally held in the state archives for the state in which the port of arrival is located. Please let me know if you know their port of entry. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The town may be VIGGIANO postale 85059, prov. Potenza. Basilicatas.

There are two Spolidoro suranmed persons currently lkiving there and if you go to www. paginebianche.it and insert Spolidoro in the first line and Viggiano in the thrid line the two complegte names will appear with complete addresses and telephone numbers.

You may wish to write to these two persons surnamed Spolidoro in Italian and can go to www.mangerucqa.com and copy their "potential relative" letter in Italian and mail it to these persons since they may very well be relatives. If you do that then enclose a self addressed envelope and an OZ $ dollar for stamps to encourage a reply. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The website is www.mangeruca.com......sorry for the typo. =Peter=
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Welcome to the forum,

Feel confortable asking questions, there are many helpful and knowledgeable people here.

I checked Ellis Island records just to see how common the name Spolidoro is and where most immigration was from. Only 37 people with that name immigrated to the US and more than half of them came from Viggiano. So that is a real good starting point.

First name is probably Giovanni or Giovanini.

The Family History Center has civil records for Viggiano. Here is the link:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Raylen since this is your first visit to the forum and request TLC I surmise that you may not be as familiar as we are with websites and all sorts of whiz bang words and I certainly do not want to overlook the obvious. By this I mean that you can go to your nearest Mormon church family History library at www.familysearc h.org (for nearest location to your home in OZ) and rent out the micorfilm of the civil records from 1866 to 1910 for all births,marriages and deaths in that town. Renting fees are nominal. Just provided you with the information on the off chance this is new to you. =Peter=
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

whiz bang words
Peter,
You're such a hoot :D !
Thanks for the reminder!
Valarie
Raylen

Post by Raylen »

To Peter,misbris and vj

Thank you so much for your welcome and for your advice.

I have requested a copy of Giovanni's naturalisation papers from the
Victorian Records office here in Melbourne, hoping that this might provide me with some detailed information on the family back ground. *fingers crossed* Also with these papers, I hopefully will be able to get departure dates and confirm arrival dates in Victoria.

Once I have that I will be able to order the right microfilm for their town.
Might need to take a quick course in how to read Italian.......... :wink:

Once again, thank you all for your warm welcome and good advice and I'm always open to ideas and thoughts from you wise people

Raylen
bbfuoco

Post by bbfuoco »

Great News! Ancestry has now posted the BMDs from Viggiano in Potenza for you to browse online. They include the years 1861-1938. I am also a Spolidoro but do not know of any Austrialian connection - YET!
bbfuoco

Post by bbfuoco »

Found December 3, 1886 marriage records for this couple on ancestry.com.
Giovanni Spolidoro was a 24 year old widower, occupation contadino son of Pasquale, deceased, and Nunzia Lombardi, she is still living when he married
Caterina Di Stefano, age 29, occupation: filatrice, daughter of Giuseppe and Maria Teresa Sammartino, also filatrice.
All persons named were of the commune of Viggiano, Potenza, Basilicata.
Digging in these new online records may certainly reveal the births of their children, and other family records.