Anyone know if New York or New Jersey will accept petition?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sohojohnny

Anyone know if New York or New Jersey will accept petition?

Post by sohojohnny »

I HEARD NEW YORK CONSUL, WILL ACCEPT PETION OF NATURALIZATION W/ CERTIFICATE NUMBER, CAN ANYONE CONFIRM.
WHAT ABOUT NEW JERSEY ???
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: Anyone know if New York or New Jersey will accept petiti

Post by peggymckee »

See Gildone's excellent answer below. Good luck, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

^Peggy: just to clarify: are you speaking for New York or New Jersey as he asked?

Depending upon the consulate, the paperwork in question can show that the citizenship process was started AFTER the birth of the next person in your citizenship chain. In this sort of case, it can be useful, depending upon the consulate. I don't know about New York, but Detroit accepted just the Declaration of Intention for my great grandfather, because it was filed well after my grandfather was born. Detroit is one of the easier consulates though because they don't have a lot of pending applications and no backlog.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Gildone--
I only know what I read and your experience is the first I've ever heard of any Consulate's accepting only the declaration of intent. Good to know, though. All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

^Actually, I forgot that I had a no-record letter from USCIS (which I would suggest that even Detroit applicants make sure they get), they took it with the rest of my documents, but they seemed satisfied with the the fact that my g-grandfather filed a Declaration of Intention in 1919 and again in 1942, and that I had gotten a copy of is immigration file that showed he was a registered alien up until his death.

As I said, Detroit is particularly liberal compared to the other consulates. Always check with your consulate as to what they want. My experience isn't necessarily transferable to other consulates, particularly Boston, SF and LA. Always check with your consulate.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

As of August, 2006, both NY and NJ were ok with the Petition if it was accompanied by the Oath. The Oath has the actual date of naturalization written on it. I'm not sure that the petition would be enough (although it seems it should be). At both consulates, they looked at the petition but then carefully checked the oath for the date citizenship actually was conferred.
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

Thanks mler. your answer was more helpful than mine...
grigi

Post by grigi »

[quote="Gildone"] ... and that I had gotten a copy of is immigration file that showed he was a registered alien up until his death.>

Hello, would you please explain what an immigration file is, where you got it from and how long it took to get it? Thanks!