Great-grandfather's family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Great-grandfather's family

Post by Erbogi »

Hey there!!

I just got the birth certificate of my great-grandfather Gennaro Santaniello from Fondi (LT). He was born the 26th of January in 1888. His father was Bernardo Santaniello and came from Nola (NA). His mother was Filomena Dorodea Lorello, born in Fondi the 5th of July, 1842.
Now I'm pretty confident Gennaro's parents never immigrated and so died in Fondi, but I would like to find the death certificates. How can I do this? Also how can I find Bernardo Santaniello's birth certificate? His was from Nola, but other than that I don't know anything.
Also, my grandmother always told me that her father Gennaro had a brother. How can I track down this brother?
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Great-grandfather's family

Post by BillieDeKid »

You might find the birth act of Bernardo(born Nola (NA)) in these LDS films. Since his wife Filomena was born in 1842 there's a good chance he was born around the same time.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... ato+civile++

The films for Fondi cover the years 1809-1865 so you can find Filomena's birth act (has more info than a birth certificate)
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... ato+civile++

You will have to write to Fondi for their death acts.

Here is the address to write your request to, requests have to be in italian

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Fondi
04022 FONDI LT
ITALY

Here is the link for a form letter to use, you just fill in the blanks
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

As for Gennaro's brother.........do you know is name, if he came to USA, was he married, wife and childrens names, was he older or younger than Gennaro etc. The more info you can give the easier it will be for people on the forum to help you out.

Also, where did Gennaro settle in the USA? This might help people pull census info and if his brother came to USA we may find him living with Gennaro and his family at some point.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Elizabeth
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Erbogi »

Hey Elizabeth,

Thanks for the help! I'm planning on going to Italy at the end of April, so I hope can find some more documents in Fondi then as well.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Gennaro's brother. Gennaro settled in Seneca Falls, New York. I guess I'll just have to dig through the files in Fondi..Aren't there any documents that show all the children of a particular person? For instance, if you could find such a form of Bernardo Santaniello, it would show all the children he had?

Thanks again,

Eric
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Eric

You might try this. Certificate of Family Status (which has vital data for an entire household, historically). I believe if you request this for Bernardo and Filomena they should be able to give you all the childrens names.

Here is the link for the form letter and upon completeing it and hitting translate it will give you the correct department and address to send the letter to.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... agrafe.asp

Hope this helps.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Erbogi wrote:Hey there!!

I just got the birth certificate of my great-grandfather Gennaro Santaniello from Fondi (LT). He was born the 26th of January in 1888. His father was Bernardo Santaniello and came from Nola (NA). His mother was Filomena Dorodea Lorello, born in Fondi the 5th of July, 1842.
Now I'm pretty confident Gennaro's parents never immigrated and so died in Fondi, but I would like to find the death certificates. How can I do this? Also how can I find Bernardo Santaniello's birth certificate? His was from Nola, but other than that I don't know anything.
Also, my grandmother always told me that her father Gennaro had a brother. How can I track down this brother?
Hello,
if you are able to read the real birth record of Gennaro Santaniello, there is written that his father Bernardo went to the civil record office to declare the birth of his kid. At that time he stated his name, age and occupation.
So you can make subtraction between 1888 and age of your Bernardo, so you get approximated year of his birth in Nola.
Address of Nola civil record office to get Bernardo birth record/certificate is:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Piazza Duomo, 1
CAP 80035 Nola (NA)
ITALY

To find Filomena and Bernardo death records, you need to contact the Ufficio Stato civile of Fondi and request if they have the 10 year alphabetical index, where there are listed all the death people.
This is the address:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Piazza IV Novembre, 1
CAP 04022
Fondi (LT)
Italy

Also to know about Filomena brother you can request a "Certificato Storico di famiglia" stating also the informations of her parents and brother.
Having the names of Filomena parents (findable on her birth real record) and their marriage date, is a good starting point in order to find Filomena's brother
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo :lol:
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Erbogi »

Hey there!

Thanks for the help guys! When I go to Italy I will look for the original birth certificates and that way move on to Nola and find Bernardo's birth certificate.

I'll try that request as well, Elizabeth. Thanks!

best,

Eric
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Eric,

I was hoping Riccardo would jump in here to help you out. He's an expert so I would follow his directions, this way you'll be sure to get the information you're looking for and he has given you the correct addresses to write your requests to.

If you have any questions Eric or need clarification on any thing, just ask and Riccardo will be back on the forum in the morning. He lives in Italy so there is a 7 hour time difference.

Thanks for your help Riccardo - abbracci e baci
Eliza