Nara Form 81

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

His mother was Lena Milone? I was under the impression it was Melone. Was I worng? Peter
jonim119

Form 81

Post by jonim119 »

Peter - As I previously stated, I received several death cert. for children that died after my father was born. His mother's name was spelled at least 4 differenct ways on each certificate. So, I'm checking under all listings. My father always pronounced it: May-lon-e, and I'm sure that it could have been spelled different ways.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

That pronunciation has to be spelled MELONE if that is the way it was pronounced. The italian language is almost phonetic. The way it is written is the way it is pronounced. The vowels in italian are pronounced AH-EY-EEEE-OOh!-OOOH. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:That pronunciation has to be spelled MELONE if that is the way it was pronounced. The italian language is almost phonetic. The way it is written is the way it is pronounced. The vowels in italian are pronounced AH-EY-EEEE-OOh!-OOOH. Peter
Hi Peter, therefore it is Melone..in fact, are only 1 Nicolina Melone on all ellisisland! And coming from Alfedena(l' Aquila province)..perhaps is she... :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Most likely that is she. Peter
jonim119

Melone

Post by jonim119 »

Thanks, again to you both - I will check into it further.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Melone

Post by suanj »

jonim119 wrote:Thanks, again to you both - I will check into it further.
Hi Jonim you have read today my reply in your previous topic(Malone/Fiorini)??I've found an Giuseppe Fiorini..please read, perhaps are interesting..regards, suanj
jonim119

Fiorini

Post by jonim119 »

Suanj: Thanks for checking - however, my grandfather was born in 1888. That is the information the cemetery provided me. His father's name was Francisco - I believe the manifest lists Pietro. How did you get the spelling of Finini? Maybe I can twist the letters too and check other manifests. With his death in 1946 it is very hard to check any death certificate information on the web. Most list after the 1960's. Thank you for helping me.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi jonim: ellisisland it is a great website and it offers many solutions, in order to try the names misspelled, enough to insert one letter mistaken in the last name. Example:Fworini (instead that Fiorini) and on website to are solutions similar with change of the second letter of the name. Then Fiwrini, exits similars surname with third letter misspelled etc.. Also:FiArini, FioriUi, FEorini,FioVini,FiorEni, FiorMi, Tiorini,FLorini...etc...why who has transcribed the surnames on ellisisland, has misspelled the handwriting original..
to times for the children, the last name is not written, but generically "son" and the first name, or also "figlio=son" and first name, also for wife, not to are the surname, but"wife" and first name, or also "moglie=wife" and first name, others Time, is invert the surname with first name...knowing that the handwriting frequently is tilted to right, the dots on "" fall on the following letter: this is the explanation why GIUSEPPE is translate with GUISEPPE...Moreover from the handwriting on ship' s manifest, the "R" comes exchanged for "S or V", and "N for U", "F for E or T", "S for R or Z" etc..for a good search must know the handwriting and being created to you, remembering that who has transcribed the lists on ellis island, does not have good acquaintance of the Italian last names, and to times the lists are faded and they are illeggible..

I will still try.... :wink: suanj