Nicola Gigliotti ship manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Nicola Gigliotti ship manifest

Post by Erbogi »

Hey there everybody!

I'm looking for the ship manifest of my great-grandfather Nicola Gigliotti. It's one of the few things missing in my research. I just can't seem to find it anywhere. Here's some of his information:

Name: Nicola Gigliotti
Born: March 11 1874
Place of birth: Decollatura (CZ)
Names of parents: Antonio Gigliotti and Maria Vincenza Tomaino.

I also found out that he went to the US for the first time in 1887. I found that document on the website of Castle Garden.
He went back to Calabria in 1892 and married Giovanna Mancuso. Shortly after that, six months according to one great-aunt of mine, he went back to America. His wife Giovanna followed in 1898.

I'd appreciate any help!!

Thanks,

Eric Gigliotti
vj
Master
Master

Re: Nicola Gigliotti ship manifest

Post by vj »

Hi Eric!
Just for reference, some records from a
previous post (so we don't duplicate)
Valarie
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =8489.html
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Giovanna Mancuso manifest.....line 4 going to husband Nicola in Utica NY. Traveling with lines 1, 2 and 3. Line 1 surname Tomaino.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004

I don't know if you have this already Eric, if you do I'll leave it posted for reference.

Elizabeth
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Erbogi »

I indeed have posted previously on the same subject, but it did result in finding Nicola Gigliotti ship manifest which should be of the year 1892/3 more or less. I already had found Giovanna's. I just can find Nicola's....
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Eric,

Unfortunately the older manifests don't have a lot of information. Here's one for 1887 for a N. Gigliotti, age 12 (yob about 1875). Line 422
1887 manifest
Arrival Date: 8 Jun 1887
Ship Name: Alsatia

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Erbogi »

Thanks Biff, but unfortunately I had already found that manifest. I do think it's the correct one though. However, he came to the US again in 1892/3, but I've been unable to find the document. Any tips?
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Erbogi »

Hey everyone,

I've just been searching for hours on ancestry.com and I still can't find anything. I know he went back to the US in/after 1892. The ship manifest must be somewhere. Does anybody have an idea where I could search some more?

Eric
lisagooley
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisagooley »

I know this isn't the 1892-3 manifest you are looking for - but thought it might be of help. Perhaps he made another trip.

1902 Ship Manifest - Ancestry.com

Name: Nicola Gigliotti
Arrival Date: 2 Apr 1902
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Port of Departure: Napali
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Liguria
Search Ship Database: Search the Liguria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 5
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_264
Page Number: 89
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Erbogi »

Hey Lisa. Thanks for the help! I'm unsure about this manifest. It is the right name and year of birth, but on the other hand it says he's from Nicastro whereas he was from Decollatura. It also says he hadn't been in the States before and was going to Pittsburg, whereas he went to upstate New York. Then again, it does seem like a huge coincidence to have 2 Nicola Gigliotti's in the same area of Calabria born in th same year. So I'm not sure.

What does it mean if I can't find the other ship manifest? Has Ellis Island not put all of them online? Did they misspell his name? Did he come into a different port? What could it be?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I checked many variations of the name and town and found nothing. Have you checked manifests for Boston and Philly?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Erbogi wrote: Name: Nicola Gigliotti
Born: March 11 1874
Place of birth: Decollatura (CZ)
Names of parents: Antonio Gigliotti and Maria Vincenza Tomaino.

Eric Gigliotti
Eric,

Still looking for Nicola's manifest. But I'd like to suggest you contact Mary Jo Loyd. She could be of great help in tracing your ancestors. She and Sam Tomaino have transcribed all the Decollatura vital records from 1810-1860. She should have information on Nicola's parents, grandparents, and possibly beyond.

You can contact her via the following website.
http://www.italygenes.com/cerrisi.html

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Erbogi »

Hey Biff,
What a coincidence! I just recently came into contact with Sam Tomaino! As it turns out, putting our information together, we're 4th cousins! He helped me out a lot on Nicola's wife's side.

I haven't checked other ports yet. Where could I do that?

Thanks for all the help you guys!

Eric
Erbogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Erbogi »

Has anybody had any luck in finding Nicola Gigliotti in the manifests of other ports? I can't seem to find anything. Any help is welcome!