name changes

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
vj
Master
Master

Re: name changes

Post by vj »

PORTO family
possible declaration of intention record from rootsweb http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ny ... w4-doi.txt

COURT: Index to Declarations of Intention, Volume 4 (1920-1924); Greene Co., New York

Column 1: Name of Applicant Column 2: Place of Birthplace Column 3: Location of Court - Greene County Supreme Court, type of record Column 4: Volume # and page #

PORTO, FRANCESCO ITALY NY-GREENE-SC-DOI 4-22
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

MISASI Family
possible connection to Clara MISASI (Porto)
Thomas (Gaetano) & Luigi - brothers? cousins?
(see census 1920 & 1930 & manifest)

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ny ... w1-doi.txt
COURT: Index to Declarations of Intention, Volume 1 (1906-1912); Greene Co., New York
Column 1: Name of Applicant Column 2: Place of Birthplace Column 3: Location of Court - Greene County Supreme Court, type of record Column 4: Volume # and page #
MISASI, GAETANO ITALY NY-GREENE-SC-DOI 1-75
MISASI, LUIGGI ITALY NY-GREENE-SC-DOI 1-81

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ny ... w2-pet.txt
COURT: Index to Petitions for Naturalization, Volume 2 (1913-1914); Greene Co., New York
MISASI, GAETANO ITALY NY-GREENE-SC-PET 2-26
MISASI, LUIGGI ITALY NY-GREENE-SC-PET 2-17

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ny ... w4-doi.txt
COURT: Index to Declarations of Intention, Volume 4 (1920-1924); Greene Co., New York
MISASI, GAETANO ITALY NY-GREENE-SC-DOI 4-23
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Nuccia!
Thanks for the link.
We need all the expertise we can get.
Lots of leads, only a few confirmations of connections (so far)
vj
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

No problem, vj...

Glad to help!

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Here are the WWI Draft Registration Cards that I mentioned in my previous post.

Antonio Misasi b. 8/9/1881 Paterno, Casenzo?, Italy
living in Potterville, Ulster, NY
Laborer for Robet Mains?

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/5341 ... asiep4.jpg

Pietro Misasi b. 6/29/1886 Paderno?, Italy
living in Glasco, Ulster, NY
laborer of Empire Brick

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6008 ... wwixe0.jpg

Angelo Rich b. 11/18/194 Amorse?, Italy
living in Glasco, Ulster, NY
laborer @ Washburn Bros. Co.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8779 ... wwizd3.jpg

John Rich b. 10/15/1888 Amorse?, Italy
lives in Glasco & works for same as Angelo Rich

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/1739 ... wwitz9.jpg

There is also one for a Carmine Rich b. 8/14/1884 Italy, living in Athens, Greene, NY, who works for A Joseph Mayone (see vj's post for Porto family above).
And, a Alessandro Ricci, born US & living in Catskill, Greene, NY who is a brickmaker for George Washburn.
If you want these linked, let me know.

And here is the Francesco Porto WWi Card, found by vj.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8369/portowwisi3.jpg

Have fun !

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Found this the other day... thought "ar" would return by now... :(

Time to get our muscle shirts on.... 8O

Anyways... just thought this Richichi surname was somewhat unique...

Here's a classic example of a poorly transcribed record...

First Name: Richichi this is the surname...
Last Name: Antonio
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Paterno Calabro
Date of Arrival: Feb 17, 1905
Age at Arrival: 30 Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Georgia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0012

Off to join brother in law Pietro DiCicco... in NY

See lines 12 - 18....

Antonio was in the USA from 1886 - 1894
wife Rosa Ortale - this would be her first trip to the USA 1905
Children Francesco, Luigi, Marietta, Saverio, Olivia.... all from Paterno, off to Glasco, NY...

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2358031480&
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exact same family.... and another badly transcribed record....

more info... They ship they did not sail on...

First Name: Antonino
Last Name: Riehicti
Ethnicity: Italy Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Laterno
Date of Arrival: Jan 28, 1905
Age at Arrival: 30y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Cretic
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0022

It may not amount to much... just thought that the surname and some of the children's names were interesting... plus it's a Rich sounding name... but this time coming from Paterno and not Amorsa...

..................................................................................................

I'd hate to give up on this post... this family is still researchable... :!:

Great contributions, long research hours, excellent visual documents located and linked by all.

Maria :P
ar928

Post by ar928 »

Hey guys just to keep you updated....all this information that you have found is incredible, and I've sent all of it to my father right now who is currently talking with his family...most of whom still live in Catskill or in those areas (he also lives there).

Both of my grandfather's sisters are still alive, so he is talking to them soon. He's a little busy with work though so it might take a few days, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still watching this space and will update within the next week hopefully.
ar928

Post by ar928 »

Also one more quick thing before I go..it likes this 1930 census of Frank and Clara Porto matches up with the info from Thomas Porto's obituary:

probable 1930 US Census
Athens, Greene, NY
Brick Row, owns $1,000
- Frank PORTO, 41 (1889), married age 20 (1909), immig 1905 Al, laborer - brickyard
- wife Clara, 38 (1892), married age 17, immig 1908 Al
(children b in NY)
- son Lewis, 19 (1911), helper - ice truck
- son Frank Jr, 14 (1916)
- daughter Josephine, 11 (1919)
- son Charles, 9 (1921)
- daughter Theresa, 7 (1923)
- son Thomas, 5 (1925)
- daughter Virginia, 3 (1927)
- daughter Anna, 10 mos (1929)

As all those kids are named, and it would make sense that Mariella is not on this census since she was already married 3 years earlier (at 15 I think), and living with my great-grandfather Anthony Rich.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

ar, thanks for the update.
We're all looking forward to what your family thinks of all this!
vj :)
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

ar928 wrote:Hey guys just to keep you updated....all this information that you have found is incredible, and I've sent all of it to my father right now who is currently talking with his family...most of whom still live in Catskill or in those areas (he also lives there).

Both of my grandfather's sisters are still alive, so he is talking to them soon. He's a little busy with work though so it might take a few days, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still watching this space and will update within the next week hopefully.
You better come back... we need to sort this out... !!

Glad to hear back from you :P

Maria
jaysweet

Post by jaysweet »

The above obituary for Thomas Porto is MY FATHER. Who is looking for the Rich's or the Porto's of Catskill NY?
AdirondackDan

Post by AdirondackDan »

Hi everyone. I don't know if this thread is active anymore, but I just got on this forum, noticed this particular thread and may be able to shed some light. I grew up in Glasco, NY and my grandfather is the JOHN RICH noted in the thread. ANGELO was his brother. The name is actually JOHN RICCIO but variously transcribed by anglo government and school officials as RICH or RICCI. The talk around Glasco was that my grandfather was wealthy because of the RICH surname; wrong. He was a laborer at the Washburn brickyard becoming foreman (still poorly paid) and Cantine's Paper mill in Saugerties. For those on the thread seeking Misasi or Porto links check out http://archives.co.ulster.ny.us/. This should get you to the Ulster County Clerk's Office and naturalization records. You should also try the church records from St. Mary of the Snows church in Saugerties. Although most Glasco folks attended St. Joseph's in Glasco, most are buried through St. Mary's and that's where you can find burial records.

Giovanni (John) Riccio entered through Ellis Island on 5/2/1906 on the "Hohenzollern" out of Naples. He was 17 years old. Angelo Riccio entered through Ellis Island on 4/2/1912 on the "Berlin" out of Naples.

There were many Porto's and Misasi's when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's in Glasco. Pat Porto was an excellent sax player; wife Josephine and daughters Ronnie & ?. His brothers: John (recently passed away) and Tom (passed long ago). Tom had a son, Tom and a daughter, Karen. Tommy still lives in Glasco and is a professional sax player.

I'm told that during the depression the brick business languished. One of the Washburn brothers committed suicide. All the workers were called in by the remaining brother and told, "business is bad. If you stick with me you won't lose your job but your wages will be reduced until we can see this through. If you can't stick with the company your free to go and find other work. Many left the brickyard and even Glasco to find other work. Many went to Athens and Hudson to work on other brickyards and I believe in the cement plants. My brother indicates that Portos were among the exodus. They may have gone to Athens and be among the folks that you are discussing here.

If any of you have more info about John Riccio please let me know. He died in 1979. Angelo went back to Italy in the 20's and never returned.

Dan
Josie Stuarts

Post by Josie Stuarts »

Mariella Porto married John Rich. Both I believe were from Athens, NY. Mariella's parents, Frank and Clara were from Calabria, Italy. Mariella and John had three children, John, Clara, and Rosemarie. John married Lorraine and had John, Mike, and Anthony. That's as far as I can go.
Alphazip

Post by Alphazip »

This is a very old thread, but according to a tree on Ancestry, the immigrant ancestor was John Rich, b. 1881 in Italy, d. 1930 in Athens, New York. He had three children: Cordela (1901), Joseph (1905), and Anthony S. (1908). The immigration date is given as 1897.

Doing a search on the Ellis Island site for a Giovanni Ri? born in 1881, immigrated in 1897, I see a Giovanni Ricciard(i) from Bisacquino, Sicily. Of course, that's assuming the information in the tree is correct.

As regards Mariella Porto, she married Anthony S. Rich, not John Rich.